Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my current problem.

The car just had its battery pack replaced and the headlight recall performed. When I picked it up from the dealership, it no longer had a working air conditioner. The compressor was not activating.

I took it back to the dealership, and they today told me that I have not one but two leaks in the system, one at the condensor and one on one of the hoses from the condensor.

Since the IMA problem began, the car has been sitting for most of two months. So it's possible that it leaked down during that time. I don't remember if the AC worked when I drove it to the dealership.

I'll admit to being suspicious. The dealership just took a bath on this car by replacing the IMA pack. Would they cause another problem to make their money back? Dunno.

What sets off alarms for me is this. I saw that the compressor was not activating. This doesn't jive with the dealership telling me that I'm out of freon, since in that case the compressor would run but do nothing to cool the car.

So, for the twenty million dollar question, does anyone know if there is a pressure sensor in the freon system that shuts off the compressor when the system is empty? That's the only way that this whole thing could make sense.

The two leaks I can almost believe. The car's condensor was replaced about 6 months ago after it got in a wreck. It could be defective. And I suppose that the hose could have been stressed during the replacement, causing a failure. But it's the timing of the whole thing that makes me suspicious.

I'd love to hear people's input on this, especially from anyone who has a service manual and can confirm or deny my suspicions.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well, to say the least you can at least ask to see the leaks. To find AC leaks they put dye in to the system and you can see the leaks under uv light where the dye leaks out.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think that Honda is telling you the truth. Auto A/Cs have a high pressure
and a low pressure switch (yes, too much pressure is a problem as well).
Since you already had a problem 6 months ago with the condensor being
replaced, this seems to make sense to me. You may be able to take it
back to whoever replaced the condensor. If it was the same Honda place
you would think that they it fix it for free...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you.

joecvt said:
I think that Honda is telling you the truth. Auto A/Cs have a high pressure
and a low pressure switch (yes, too much pressure is a problem as well).
Since you already had a problem 6 months ago with the condensor being
replaced, this seems to make sense to me. You may be able to take it
back to whoever replaced the condensor. If it was the same Honda place
you would think that they it fix it for free...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner
I did leave a message with the auto body shop, hopefully that'll bring me good news.

It makes sense that there are pressure switches on the system. I'd just never heard of them. Of course, the last A/C problem I had was on an 81 Blazer, so what do I know. :D

Thanks both of you for the quick info. I think I'll ask to see the leaks, then probably do the work myself once the weather starts to heat up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Honda does use a low presssure switch on the A/C system. As for repairing it your self, as a professional Mechanic myself and a certified A/C technician. I would highly recommend against that if you have no experiance dealing with a R134 system due to the sesitivity of the required charge. R134 unlike the older R12 is very sensitive on the proper amount of charge. Not to mention the possability of personal damage if you happen to not hook your gauges up correctly. If you do decide to wait untill warmer weather and attempt the repairs your self you will need to replace the reciever drier tank as well as you will surly have moisture in the system if left uncharged for any length of time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's cold here.

Oh man, is Howdy Honda on my sh*t list now. The body shop had the car for a day, found the real problem, a bad o-ring at the hose connection to the condensor. You were all right, the refrigerant had leaked out while the car sat for three months.

Remember that the dealership wanted to replace both hose and condensor The body shop fixed the car for free in a single day. If you're in Austin, TX, know that Jeff's Auto Body is the real deal. They do good work and stand behind it.

In defense of Howdy Honda, I don't know that they wouldn't have given me a fair deal once they found the real problem. They may have been honest, but I'm pretty hesitant to go back there after this experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Insighters,

This is another question on the same topic: AC does not work.
I tried the self-diagnosis (Auto & Off together and no segements lit up)
I checked the fuses: underhood; 16 and 19 = ok
I looked for the underdash fusebox and could not find it!!!!
So I checked relay #1, contact #4 and there was 12V present with ignition on.

Where do I go from here?
Would the Computer Diagnostics in the workshop locate the problem?
Does it look like being expensive?

I have 160.000 miles on the clock, and its just not worth putting too much into the problem, if the car runs ok otherwise.

Would be happy for opinions...

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts