Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I live in Texas (hot!).

Every summer I have to live with almost daily battery recalibrations thanks to the heat. Running the AC doesn't help, in fact it makes it worse.

The problem is that there's so much sunlight coming into the car that even with the AC on Auto and set to 60 degrees, it can barely cool the car. I have to aim all the vents directly at me, which means that the IMA battery is drawing fairly hot air from the opposite side of the cabin.

So here's my idea. It looks like it's possible to run a duct down from the far right air vent, along the right side of the passenger footwell, and then up to the battery's air intake. This would feed cool air to the battery whenever the AC is on. I could build a simple duct out of sheet metal and cover it with grey carpet, and it could look pretty stock.

The duct would come up to the existing air intake, but would only cover the lower half of it. That way, when the AC was not on, the battery could still draw air through the upper half of the intake. It's my belief that the intake is sized larger than necessary so that it will be difficult to completely cover it by accident.

I'll probably open up the dash sometime soon and see if I can get cool air out without doing anything really ugly to the car. If that can be done, the rest is easy.

Comments?

Fred

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah...

Before somebody mentions window tint...

It would probably be effective, but I can't do the windshield or windows, so I'd still cook. And for aesthetic reasons, I really don't want to tint the windows.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Easy enough to temporarily rig an "ugly" duct from the existing dash passenger vent to the intake. A flexible clother dryer vent comes to mind.

But from your description if _your_ not getting cool then your commute time is insufficient for the AC to cool the interior. Batteries would also not be cooled well in such a short time.

Limiting the heat soak to begin with is the first line of defense.

Have you looked at the 40% mirrored tint? Tinting the back glass only would have the greatest effect. A car cover is another good choice. There are custom fit multi-bifold windshield covers that are effective for the front windshield. Keeping the windows cracked, adding vent shades so that you don't have to worry about rain. 96-2000 Civic 2dr are the closest fit and require slight reshaping using a hairdryer and spoon. A strip of aluminized bubble wrap such as used in home insulation. Cut it to length, tuck under the front WS wipers, cut a hole for the antenna and anchor at the rear with the hatch wiper would be a low cost and highly effective removable "tint."

Opening the rear hatch and door(s) to dump the superheated air before you begin AC operations can significantly reduce cool down time. Then with windows down run the AC on full using fresh air for the first 30 sec or so to force the superheated air in the ducts out. Finally, roll'em up and switch to recirculate.

But after a hot soak your no longer only dealing with air temps, the entire interior of the car has been heated, in many cases to 140+F. This thermal mass _will_ require a greater cooling time factor.

As far as directly cooling the batteries the ducted air _must_ be in the non condensing humidity range. You may have noticed that on hot humid days, with the AC on and using fresh air that small plumes of mist sometimes form at the ducts. Switching to recirculate almost instantaneously eliminates this visible water vapor. (the dehumidification effect of recirculated AC air). Also it is not unusual for the AC evaporator drain to clog causing _very_ humid air to concentrate in the cabin. Ducting such heavily moisture laden cool air into the battery module may have unwanted corrosive effects.

Batteries frequently exposed to high temps will deteriorate faster. The only condition the I can imagine right now is that thermal cutback by the BCM is limiting charging too much of the time. If your seeing a true regen and not a forced charge and or a thermal cutoff then you seriously need to begin limiting the thermal load of the cars interior. Simply cooling the pack more rapidly will only treat the symptom and not address the cause or effect a cure.

John K. Bullock
aka Insightful Trekker

03 5spd.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quick Note: You might want to replace the filter in the A/C system. A clogged/filter will reduce the effiecency of the A/C system.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Go to home depot, buy a roll of the reflective bubble sheet stuff. I just made one that fits in my rear window and it seems to help a lot. Another thing I'm finding that works to keep it off the IMA is to just let the car rev up. When the car is initially hot I usually dont shift out of 1st until about 5000 rpm, this keeps it on the engine and not the IMA. Another thing that seems to help is I point the passenger air vent towards the corner of the seat so the air can blow around it and to the vent. Also, move the passenger seat forward a few clicks so that the air can get to the vent in the first place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Buy a car cover to put over you car when it is parked outside i bought mine from e-bay for about 38 bucks. It helps keep direct sunlight off the battery bay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick said:
Go to home depot, buy a roll of the reflective bubble sheet stuff. I just made one that fits in my rear window and it seems to help a lot. Another thing I'm finding that works to keep it off the IMA is to just let the car rev up. When the car is initially hot I usually dont shift out of 1st until about 5000 rpm, this keeps it on the engine and not the IMA. Another thing that seems to help is I point the passenger air vent towards the corner of the seat so the air can blow around it and to the vent. Also, move the passenger seat forward a few clicks so that the air can get to the vent in the first place.
I think I'll try the vent trick before I do anything else.
One thing to note is since I moved and put the Insight in a carport, the resets are down to once a week. Still annoying though.

Fred

·
Registered
77 Posts
you might have a problem getting air pressure from the AC vent on the side to the battery bay vent. I would sugest a cheap small fan to push air from the cabin to the bay or somthing to increase airflow.

I think you best bet would be to keep it covered, I live in Los Angeles County so i have had the same problem lately too.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
Cooling the battery is dependent on the ambient air. inside the vehicle.
What does the CIVIC forums say?

Willie

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Rick

Pretty good Idea/advice.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Hi Willie I don't KNOW what the CIVIC forums say since I don't visit them because they are not as good as the insights. Is that OKAY with you?
It probably would be if you would put your location into your User CP. :evil:

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,965 Posts
I don't think he is butting in. Everyone calls me "The Enforcer"....Only my friends. Be courtious it' helps.

Willie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts