Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the air filter under the hood? I just bought 2001 Insight one week ago. For 17 years, I looked under the hood of an Accord LX, so I am quite puzzled. I am used to replacing the air filter myselft in my Accord. Is it easy to do in the Insight, and do you need a special filter from Honda?

Also, this car was maintained by the dealer. Is it safe to assume that at some point in its 79k history, that the pollen filter was replaced, or should I go over the service records with the service department and find out exactly when it was replaced?

I like having clean air in my cabin and no dust, so I am particular about that.

fooey1987

·
Registered
242 Posts
fooey1987 said:
snip

Also, this car was maintained by the dealer. Is it safe to assume that at some point in its 79k history, that the pollen filter was replaced, or should I go over the service records with the service department and find out exactly when it was replaced?

I like having clean air in my cabin and no dust, so I am particular about that.

fooey1987
It isn't safe to assume anything - especially if it was serviced by a dealer! The owner's manual tells how to change the cabin filter (I think), and there is at least one thread here on that subject - if you can find it. The filter is easy to change - you don't have to use a Honda filter, but they are usually better than the aftermarket filters. OEM filters are available at a reasonable price from online sellers.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
The cabin air filter is behind the glove compartment if that is the one you are reffering to. There are some threads here about changing it. If it is being done for the first time there is a piece that has to be cut off. I haven't done it yet. As for the engine air filter, the OEM version seems to be treated with a light oil. For these filters I'd stick with OEM.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
james said:
lift the cover (it takes a little effort) and the air filter's inside.
How much effort? I unclipped the four clips yesterday on mine and tried to lift the cover. I couldn't get it to budge more than 1/2 inch. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems that all three ducts (two on the left and one on the right) are preventing the cover from being lifted. Is that correct? Do I need to detach all three ducts before removing the cover?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
466 Posts
Simple advice for anyone buying a used car - replace ALL fluids, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filters. NEVER trust that dealers did that prior. It is cheap insurance. Also check all the air pressures INCLUDING the spare. When I got my used Insight it had just had the 30K service, they DO NOT check the spare as it had only about 15 lbs pressure in it for my 1400 mile drive home.

·
Registered
240 Posts
[quote="bryankwaltonit seems that all three ducts (two on the left and one on the right) are preventing the cover from being lifted. Is that correct? Do I need to detach all three ducts before removing the cover?
[/quote]

Hi Bryan,

This is what I found with my 2000 Insight as well -- that you have to detach the ducts before removing the cover for the air filter. There doesn't seem to be enough flexibility in the material to sneak the filter in and out by the side. You can remove the ducts easily enough, but the clips that hold the ducts in place will probably require adjustable pliars to remove (unless your hands are really strong!).

-fly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts