Honda Insight Forum banner

air filter

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Guillermo 
#1 ·
has anyone tried the K&N air filter. The local parts store has them for around $40. Do they improve hp. by 10% as they claim? gary.

#5 ·
#7 ·
miecz said:
I don't quite understand switching back to OEM as I have read in some posts. If you can avoid replacing an OEM many times over vs. K&N, why not do so?

Because if you reuse it and over oil the filter damage can occur with the intake. Other manufactures have already denied warranty claims when techs observed this oil on a cars MAF screen. The filters are great but some owners can't seem to get the re-oiling down.

From my experience there just isn't much (if any), noticable improvement with a K&N filter for the Insight over the OEM filter to be worth it.

#8 ·
over-oiling

if you reuse it and over oil the filter damage can occur with the intake.
Thanks for the heads up. I have about 45,000 miles to go on mine. Guess I will determine at that point whether I want to attempt re-oiling, flat out buy another K&N, or go back to OEM.

#9 ·
Re: over-oiling

Since Honda's aren't equipped with a MAF (they use a MAP system) oil is not a factor!

With that said its not foolproof. Install your K&N literally dripping with oil and your could foul a spark plug sufficiently to require removal for cleaning or replacement. And ignore a misfire long enough from a fouled spark plug and you can melt down the CAT.

Yes, this is an _extreme_ example, but I've seen CAT's melted down from similar causes :!:

HTH! :)

#11 ·

Since Honda's aren't equipped with a MAF (they use a MAP system) oil is not a factor!
Actually it still is a factor, I mentioned the MAF only because that is where dealerships saw the filter oil and then denied warranty claims per the car manufacture. My point being if Honda finds any evidence of the K&N's filter oil on anything other than the filter itself they could and most likely would deny a warranty claim for the engine.

Now don't get me wrong I have used K&N air filters for years and loved them, especially on performance cars, just not so much on the Insight.

#12 ·

Resist said:
<snip>

Now don't get me wrong I have used K&N air filters for years and loved them, especially on performance cars, just not so much on the Insight.
True. I suspect that 99% of the MPG "improvement" with a K&N vs. OEM in an Insight is psychological.

They don't really "shine" until you hit the higher engine RPM's.

HTH :!: :)

#13 ·
The surface area of the Insight engine air filter is almost the same as a civic with twice the power and therefore twice the air requirements. The Insight OEM filter should provide very little restriction and if you are driving for maximum efficiency very little air is required by the engine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.