Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
real quick, im sure this has been discussed to death. but in short what type of air filter should i get for my insight since my old one is rather used? ive been thinking k&n or normal kind. also how easy are the k&n to clean?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, this topic has been around the block a few times.... :wink: I'd stick with the Honda filter. If you can find someone who deals Wix filters, the part # is 46499. The only difference I can see between the Wix and the Honda is that the Honda comes in a sealed plastic wrapper and seems to have a bit of oily stuff on the filter. The Wix wrapper is open on one end and dry. They're the same color... I didn't count the pleats yet, but I will

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a K&N but didn't see any real gain after installing it. The cleaning process takes a few hours (with drying time) and isn't a big deal, but for cost reasons, I see no advantage in the Insight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dex3703 said:
But the K&N you recycle! You just clean it and keep using it. That's reason enough to use it.
agreed. considering we're driving 'eco-friendly' cars, being able to recylce/resuse the air filter is right along the lines of the Insight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where on Earth do I buy these filters?

I tried online and failed - I went to a pepboys and failed. Help/links/anything will help.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The problem with these filters comes into play when people clean them and over oil them. Then the oil gets in the intake area and can cause issues. They are good filters but be careful re-oiling them.

You can find them new on ebay or by locating a dealer near you from K&N's site.

·
Registered
29 Posts
where to buy

You have to go to a soup-up performance auto parts place. I got one for my 1990 Civic at such a place many years ago.

At one time I also found a place that sold reuseable oil filters, but I never got one. If i'd gotten one when I bought the car I'd have more than paid for it by now, but it was $80 or so and I was still in school then.

Derek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts