Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installed the Denso sensor. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the 6 month update, is the Denso 234-9013 Sensor working for you? I have a 2001 MT, and I am running an NTK (Part No. 24301 )sensor, but it really is not happy with that sensor. It wants to stall when restarting the car hot, and generally runs rough. I'm thinking of ordering the Denso version for my car: 234-5050

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@NewMexicoToSnow, the NTK sensor you are using in your 2001 is incompatible with the Densos used in the 2002-06 cars due to a change in the LAF circuit in late 2001. The sensor, the wiring, the connector, the sensor design, and the electronics in the ECU are different.

If your car is running that poorly, you should be getting codes. If so, what are they? The problem you are having could be any number of things, and the codes will help narrow it down, or at least give you a starting point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@NewMexicoToSnow, the NTK sensor you are using in your 2001 is incompatible with the Densos used in the 2002-06 cars due to a change in the LAF circuit in late 2001. The sensor, the wiring, the connector, the sensor design, and the electronics in the ECU are different.

If your car is running that poorly, you should be getting codes. If so, what are they? The problem you are having could be any number of things, and the codes will help narrow it down, or at least give you a starting point.
Thank you for the clarification, and I hope you are well in this pandemic. I ordered a Denso, and it is working perfectly! I'd better not blindly trust the big box auto parts stores when they say that a part will fit! I ended up with the NTK (Wrong!) sensor at the recommendation of the auto parts store.
The codes however were quite mysterious, I made it 10+ months with it running poorly before the code was thrown, which is unfortunate, because it can't be good for the car to have the combustion mixture wrong for so long! The code of course was for the first oxygen sensor.

Also I figured out how to receive emails to my replies

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
What was the code you were getting?

·
Registered
2000 Insight 5MT
19 Posts
Anybody in this thread have experience with replacing the earlier 5-wire sensors? My '00 is complaining of a slow to respond AFR sensor so I'm looking into replacing it. I thought NTK was the "OEM" brand but this thread is making me think not...? RockAuto has a BOSCH 15401 for the incredibly reasonable seeming price of $107. Would that be my ticket? My car is getting a middling 49mpg and I have an absolute bear of a time getting it to stay in lean burn at a steady state cruise anything above 45mph. My second "downstream" o2 sensor is complettely unresponsive according to my OBD sensor so I'm thinking they may have gotten contaminated with something.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
The NTK is the right 02 sensor for your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
You might check "Amazon" for the sensor.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
On the Bosch 15401, on Amazon it says "Bosch 15401 Oxygen Sensor, OE Fitment (Acura, Honda, Saturn)".

Given that, I suspect it's OK for a CVT which does not have lean burn and doesn't need to measure high air/fuel ratios (as these other cars do not have lean burn, AFAIK)

The Bosch specified for the 2002+ MT (as discussed earlier in this thread) appears to be improperly cross-referenced to the MT Insight (or maybe the cross-reference does not discern between MT and CVT). But in fact, it's a repackaged Denso and looks identical to the Denso in my CVT.

I bought that Bosch because it was cheap and though I had doubts it would work in my MT, it seemed worth the experiment. And now we know that it is NOT a less expensive alternative for 2002+ MTs. My contribution to the knowledge base.

If you would like to contribute to the knowledge base, go ahead and buy the Bosch sensor, see if it's a repackaged NTK, and see how it works. It will probably take 10-100 miles for the car to remap enough to know. The sensing electronics in the 2000-2001 are quite different than the 2002+, so it might behave completely differently, even seem to kind of work.

Nah, probably best to just get the NTK for your car.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts