Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to change their Air Fuel Ratio Sensor P1163? I had my "check engine" light come on and stay on for approx 400 miles before turning off by itself. They hooked it to the machine and it said that this sensor had malfunctioned but now was working. They said it may have been some sort of hickup and to not change the sensor unless the problem reoccurred. I'm a little concerned mostly because I worry that my car may not be getting the best mileage if it isn't working correctly. Also I wonder if this so called hickup had anything to do with the recall on the emissions computer settings.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Elsewhere on this site, I've seen talk about this sensor problem. It's one of the few things that apparently baffles Honda engineers. They have not figured out yet what is going on.

Early on, they just replaced all the sensors on cars that had this problem, but they discovered that the sensors they removed seemed to be working perfectly. The problem is relatively rare and when it occurs temporarily as yours did, it's even more rare that it happens again.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. Apparently, Honda hasn't had much experience with being in a car, testing it while it had this problem because before they get to do that, the problem goes away, as was the case with your car. They can run diagnostics on the car and tell that the error message indicates that there was a problem with the sensor, but none of the data they've collected yet tells them the cause of that problem. When they see the car, the problem is over and everything is working.

If it does happen, you might want to take note of anything unusual about the driving that you've been doing just before the problem occurred. For myself, I'm considering buying the adapter and software so I can run diagnostics from my laptop while driving. That way, if something like this does happen, I might have data recorded on the laptop that Honda could find useful.

Yep. Geek fantasies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info, glad to hear that it will probably not happen again (knocking on wood). Your diagnostic laptop idea sounds cool, let us know if you get it set-up. You will probably get lots of requests for the software if it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts