Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been on this forum for a couple months now, and have had my insight for about one month. I have yet to see any simple mods to help improve the rear suspension sagging issue. I am wondering if people are interested in having a "red bag" kit made for their car. This "red bag" consists of a polyurethane compound that is molded in-house, and has been since 1949. I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone, but since I am the main prototype suspension installer for Air Lift Performance devision, and could develop this kit, I figured I would see what kind of interest is in making this happen. Here is a link to the YouTube video https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=air lift 1000&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEQQtwIwAg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmcKIJo1D8g&ei=zxDiUe3EPMK0yAGo4IDQDg&usg=AFQjCNHgnUeS5b74xkk-u0ZgqmkL9P5ViA&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc

·
Super Moderator
1,544 Posts
That's a pretty nice looking option, I did not know it existed.

What is the approximate cost of a pair?

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like retail is around $135 for the pair. I'm not sure if pricing is the same for all 1000 series or not. I'll have to look up cost on the kit i think might work that's already out in the market.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The rear suspension travel is already very short. With the air bags installed, when the spring is fully compressed, the air bag would act as another bump stop thus decreasing the already short travel. Would the OEM bump stops need to be modified or eliminated when the air bags are installed?

·
Super Moderator
1,544 Posts
It appeared that when these are installed that they not only grow in length, but also in circumference a little and fill in between the coils of the springs and with a low amount of air would not bottom out, or would they?

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing has been determined yet, but it looks like we can remove the factory bump stop, and have a decent amount of room left to install the red bag.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It would be very hard to bottom out the suspension with a red bag. The more weight that is put into the rear of the car, the more air you put into the bag. They are good up to 35psi, but I will be testing that as well. I'd like to add about 600 lbs to the car, and have it sit at the stock ride height, and feel good going down the road. Not that we warranty for more than the gvwr, but simply for testing purposes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any updates?

Hopefully withing a week I should be able to do some test fitting on my car.
Hi ThinkFab,
I'm really interested in your findings on your install, it seems like a great idea after reading the companies website full of great products...
Waiting to purchase if its good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not been able to test the red bags out yet. Unfortunately I have been quite busy with moving into my new house, and haven't had much time to do projects like this. I do plan on doing it in the near future though, and am getting more exited to get a fix for the heavy rear. Since I don't like to slow for the sidewalk speed bumps if I don't need to, I hit bumpstop without any extra weight in the car. Unacceptable!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We have a conclusion! After doing some measuring of the springs last night, I have found that in fact we DO have an Air Lift 1000 kit that can be used on the insight!

With part numbers in stock, I went ahead and installed the red bags that I found might work. After putting about 20 miles on the car, and doing some air pressure adjustments, I beleive that every gen 1 Insight could benefit from the increase in spring rate this kit provides.

The original vehicle this kit was meant for is the Ford Ranger. In this kit is a flat protective pad that would not need to be used in the Insight application, and can be thrown away. Other than that, I present you with the part number and link to the site.

Air Lift 1000 | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort

The price on the website is about $135, and it should take between 1 and 2 hours. depending on if you have a 9/16" drill bit, or have to go and buy one, it may take a bit longer.

I will be doing a small "how to" in the near future to assist with what the ford ranger instruction manual does not cover for the insight application.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wow! This is very interesting. Would we leave them slightly inflated all the time, and pump them up further for heavier loads? I know that over some mega-speedbumps the rear of my Insight bounces and bottoms, even without a load.
Also interested in a how to. I've never worked with air bags before.
Thanks!

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts
I want to buy these for my Insight. Should I wait for your "How to" installation write up or is it self explanatory. What do I use to inflate the bags? Can you recommend a specific compressor setup? How much does that cost? I do not see one on the $139 package.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
damn I was napping.

Willie

·
Lean Burn = Happiness
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow! This is very interesting. Would we leave them slightly inflated all the time, and pump them up further for heavier loads? I know that over some mega-speedbumps the rear of my Insight bounces and bottoms, even without a load.
Also interested in a how to. I've never worked with air bags before.
Thanks!
You can leave them slightly inflated, or you can leave them deflated without worrying about them going bad or whatnot.
Exactly, the more weight you are carrying, the more pressure you would want to use. Not that you have to add more, but it would help.
I will be working on a how to as soon as tomorrow, but hopefully no later that next week.
I want to buy these for my Insight. Should I wait for your "How to" installation write up or is it self explanatory. What do I use to inflate the bags? Can you recommend a specific compressor setup? How much does that cost? I do not see one on the $139 package.

Thanks
Jeff
It's fairly easy actually. The kit does come with an instruction manual, although meant for the ford ranger, it would show you how to install them, witch is not very difficult. I would assume it would take the average person absolutely no longer than two hours from start to finish.
You can use a normal bike tire pump and keep it in your car. The foot pump style would probably save the most space.
I would not recommend buying an air compressor kit, as the cost and amount of effort to install it would be near pointless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A quick idea of what needs to be done to make this happen. Pics will be uploaded soon.

1 after jacking up the rear of the car, using wheel chucks for the front tires, and putting the car on jack stands,remove the jounce bumper bolt, using a 14mm socket/ratchet. It has a locating pin that keeps it from spinning when loosening, so all you have to do is hold it against the spring mount.
View attachment 7881

2 remove the jounce bumper from inside the spring. I found it easiest to push it out from the center of the spring, bottom side out first. You may need to use a pry bar to help you out with this.
View attachment 7889

3 drill out the small jounce bumper locating hole that is next to the bolt holt with a 9/16" drill bit. (This will not be in your standard drill bit box, as they usually stop at 1/2")
View attachment 7897

4 file, grind, or de-bur the burs off the spring side of the hole you just drilled. This will prevent the bag from getting sliced up and failing.

5 after pulling the black plug off the fitting opening, shove the bag through the side of the spring, making sure the fitting side points down.
View attachment 7905
View attachment 7913

6 push the hose through the drilled hole, slide a clamp onto the hose and slide the hose onto the bag fitting. Repeat procedure 1-6 for opposite side.
View attachment 7961
7 route hoses to a desired location, making sure to give extra slack for suspension travel and cut to size. Zip tie the hoses securely, make sure not to kink the line. Install the schrader valve (fill valve) into your location of choice and push the hose into the fitting.
(clip removal tool)
View attachment 7961
(my chosen mounting location[pre-drilled])
View attachment 7969

8 fill the bags to ~35psi and check for leaks around fittings/hose ends, with dawn/water in a spray bottle.
View attachment 7977

9 leaving the bags at 35psi for a few days will help them settle into the springs, and will therefore do a better job, but is not necessary.
9-24-2013 075.jpg
I found a sweet spot between 10 and 15 psi. Others may be different, but I would start at 15 psi and drop pressure from there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Invalid Attachment specified

ThinkFab, I can't view the attachments you posted. I'm getting the error message

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts