Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I am very excited about this and looking foreword to doing it - but I haven't done it yet. Too busy. Hopefully in the next month or so :)

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sounds as though that person did not modify the stock bump stops to accomodate the air spring. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well, i have about 2000 miles on the red bags so far, and everything is working great! If anyone has questions about it, i'll be more than happy to respond. I'd like to say that im not trying to promote this kit, but i dont think it gets much easier than this. If you are still on stock springs, this has got to be one of the best modifications to the rear suspension, especially for the price.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Listed at $85 on Amazon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ThinkFab thanks for doing the research on this. You think you could fix the pics in your install post? I can only see the last one.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
If you have to add air to tires periodically, Would this suffer the same downfall? Check tire pressure, done... Check airbag pressure? Time to break out the jack. Also this psi, is it measured ob a lift or with the weight of the car on it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I tried the Airlift 1000 system #80754 on my 2000 m/t Insight. I like it. I don't really notice any vibration transmitted through the bags unless I jack up the air pressure for the "stagecoach ride." Even then the ride is just crazy stiff..not so much vibration, as it is just stiff in my opinion. These should work well if I carry a heavy load, but so far I really haven't had the opportunity to. For everyday use I'm around 10 lbs of pressure.

I'm just finishing up an install of the same Airlift system on my 2001 cvt Insight as well. I plan on towing a very light trailer with it. Right now I'm finishing up the hitch. My hitch is a bit different as it doesn't rely on the spare tire well. When I looked at how thin the material is on the well and the attachment bolts of the aluminum bumper, I just didn't feel comfortable with that type of hitch. In any case, the Airlift 1000 should help with any tongue weight issues I'll encounter.

I followed ThinkFabs install on the first set and was successful. I connected each bag to its own schrader valve. I just thought if I wanted to equalize any uneven weight distribution, having them separate would be an advantage.

On the install I am just finishing, I took the bottom bolt out of each rear shock, allowing the rear axle to drop down further. The springs then nearly fall out and it makes deburring and putting the bags inside the springs a real breeze. Just be mindful of the bag alignment to the drilled hole when you set the full weight of the car back onto the ground. Anyone installing this system should consider this slight change (removing the shock bolts and springs) to ThinkFab's excellent write up.

I'm a happy camper with my Airlifts.

-Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think about an inch measured at the rear bumper. The skirt to H emblem on the rear wheels looks about the same to me, but when I was measuring the road to hitch height from one car to the other, when I was trying to figure out where to cut the hole in my bumper for the trailer hitch, I think it was an inch higher. To be honest, this surprised me because I thought they where set to the same height, but I didn't investigate any further.

When I installed the first set of Air Lifts, I ran the recommended 35psi for a week and then lowered the pressure to where the H emblem on the wheel matched the other car. I hadn't noticed the inch difference until I measured for hitch height.

I'll try and look a little closer to see if I can see any real difference. Right now I have the skirts and the rear bumper off of the cvt car waiting for the trailer hitch to come back from the welding shop. I'm supposed to get it back on Tuesday so I can install it permanently.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just read the post about the fellow that tried a set of air bags and didn't like them because of road noise. I can't say about that because I'm running the recommended Bridgestone tires and the road noise in either car is already horrendous in factory configuration, well before I installed the Air Lifts.

Dang, if he could tell a difference (I can't), his set up must have been LOUD, or maybe I'm just more deaf than he is...which I wouldn't rule out. I've played in a rock band, drag raced cars, and ran a high performance marine diesel engine business that was involved with go-fast boats and offshore powerboat racing (compound staged turbocharging).

Long story short, my ears are shot anyways so you'll have to be your own judge on road noise...but I will say that I did have a lot of fun getting there :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just checked the air pressure with my 20 psi pencil stick gauge. Both sides measure 6 psi. Here's a profile pic (please ignore the ugly door guards from the previous owner)

·
Registered
7 Posts
ThinkFab, would you be so kind to include the attachments from post #19 in a shared Dropbox folder? I'm also getting "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator".

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anyone have experience with GAZ shock/spring combo vs Airlift bag handling differences? My main issue is my wife and I are both 200lbs+ and I would like to be able for us both to be able to ride comfortably without spleen-busting over bumps.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Red Bags

I too have been frustrated with the ride in the 1st Gen Insights. So I installed new OEM front struts, Scott's rear springs, GAZ Shocks, and the full Red Bag install including compressor and remote.

Is the ride better, only marginally. I have the GAZ set at 7 or 8 clicks and the Red Bags at 6 or 7 psi. Any more pressure than that and it feels like you're riding on a beach ball.

Scott (KLR3CYL) says GAZ is revalving the shocks to work better with our cars, hopefully that will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Can this lower the car as well? If so I'd like to see a picture of the car slammed to the ground. I know I sound crazy, but I'm all about the current "stanced" trend and I'd love to give my car that look when parked at my job. I probably can't do anything about the camber with the wheel pants, but that's okay.
So if you can drop it, please post pic's! Thank you!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts