Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 4'10" and under 100lbs. I was wondering if I *need* an airbad kill switch for the driver and passenger airbags? I've had so many mixed opinions about this, because peopl say that part of the issue that airbags cause damage is not just height/weight issue, BUT also bone density/muscle mass issue (kids that are the same height as adults would still have less bne density and msucle mass because they are still growing).

Anyhoo, any opinions as well as recommendations for the so-cal area would be *greatly* appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry I'm not much help much with the switch (haven't really looked into it), thought I saw one on the buy/sell forum...perhaps you should be looking at a child seat :lol:

"Q: Does the Insight have a passenger side airbag cutoff switch?

A: No. However, your Honda dealer may be willing to install an airbag cutoff switch in your Insight. Other dealers are not willing to do this. If your dealer is willing to do so, you should expect them to require you to sign a waiver of liability, which is standard NHTSA procedure."

No wonder you're getting such good mpg...weighing less than a buck...mmmm. I couldn't match that if I had a limb amputated :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information.

Yeah, I'm going to call the NHTSA and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just had my airbag switch installed by Sensible Solutions.

I have three small children and may need to transport them from time to time. I faxed my form to NHTSA and had the authorization within 10 days in my mailbox.

For someone your size, it's a tough personal decision but my feeling is that I'd feel better without the airbag than with it.

Good luck and congratulations on your new Insight.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you really want to disable it....

pull the fuse. problem solved

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: If you really want to disable it....

dfiore said:
pull the fuse. problem solved
seriously??
:?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
dfiore is saying "turn-off" the SRS system by pulling its related fuse.

Probably sufficient to disable the airbags in case of a collision, but not the same as opening the circuit that powers the squib (explosive charge that inflates the bag).

HTH! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts