Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The aircon does not seem to blow as cold as it always did. The car is currently on 110k km any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Have you ever replaced the cabin filter? It is located behind the glove box. Otherwise I would suggest having a pro test the state of refrigerant charge. If it is low, they usually put in a dye as a leak indicator.
It has also been observed around here that using a setting that is in the lower temp range rather than cranked all the way to low often results in colder air.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yes, A/C blows coolest if you don't take it beyond 3 or 4 bars or if you use recirculation.
You may also have a leak in the system (the radiator is ahead of the engine radiator, so vulnerable to stone damage) and even without damage the coolant seeps out slowly but steadily. Then it would work fine on less, but suddenly fail when the coolant runs out.

Cabin filter check is worth it, it is behind the glove box.
Remember to unhook the damper on the glove box lid; it breaks if you pull down the lid with force, you must unhook it to get the lid down far enough. It is on the outer right side.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Has it ever had an aircon service or top up of refrigerant?

I kind of wish Honda would have made it part of the service schedule. Aircon is one of the highest rate of system failures on Hondas (according to WarrantyDirect in UK). I suspect this is because people do little to maintain it unless there is a problem

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Every Honda and Toyota I've ever owned has needed periodic topping off of the refrigerant.

If you have a sight glass on or near the high side valve, it's easy:

Use straight R-134a - NO OILS, NO SEALS, NO DYES, NO ADDITIVES.

If in doubt, ask an employee of the store.

If they don't know, go somewhere else.

The contents should read: "1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane"

The last few cans I bought from Walmart were supertech brand for $4.88.

Get a cheap ($12 or so), low-side fill hose.

Follow hose directions and add R-134a to the low side.

Watch site glass.

Terminate addition of R-134a when the bubbles in the sight glass go away.

If you don't have a site glass, you need to do something like this:

Just DON'T USE THE PRODUCT HE'S USING.

Adding R-134a that contains oil or other additives (mostly the oil, though) to your A/C system could damage the compressor.

Adding straight R-134a is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It's kind of hard to pin down when Honda recommend topping up the aircon. I can find contradictory info online.

Roughly it seems to be first top up / service at 3-4 years and then every 2-3 years afterwards.

I'm planning on going with the same frequency as the pollen filter in future, which comes up about every two years on the European Honda SvRS variable servicing system.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
For sight glass equipped cars, every year when you first start needing A/C:

85-95°F ambient
Operate A/C at maximum capacity for 5 minutes w/windows open
Check sight glass
If bubbles are present, fill with R-134a until bubbles are completely gone.

Check again in 1 year or if performance deteriorates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
S Keith
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing