Honda Insight Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
“...and flexible to make it do what has already been decided it is meant do...”

They figured out how much revenue they needed (wanted)... and designed their software accordingly. The “computer” did it....
I’ve applied for Wisconsin “Hobbyist” plates. One time $220

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the hybrid system is no longer functional, can we register it as a normal vehicle?
I’m guessing not.... They plug the VIN number in - and out pops your fee. There’s no way to input anything special.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Okay can I buy a rotted out CRX and swap VINs and claim I did a body swap?
ive thought about schenanigans like that before but since collector plates can solve this problemwhy bother?

Also insurance is problematic, my 1981 Comutacar had a mistake on the Minnesota title which the Wisconsin DMV WONT FIX, then when I tried to switch to Hobbiest plates my insurance company dropped my coverage and nobody wanted to allow me to put my liability back on the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the issue with collector plates is you need one newer vehicle in order to qualify. Also no driving in January.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
Now that needs a link! (Part about not driving in Jan.)

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now that needs a link! (Part about not driving in Jan.)

Collector registration does not expire for as long as you own the vehicle. However, Collector license plates are not valid for operation during the month of January. To operate the vehicle in January, use the Collector or Hobbyist Vehicle Temporary License Plate Application form MV2750 to apply for temporary registration for a maximum of five consecutive days in January.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes - and car must be 20 years old (in Wisconsin) - so only a 2000 Insight currently qualifies for a HOBBYIST or COLLECTOR plate.

·
Premium Member
10,320 Posts
In WI that is a stupid law.!!
I would like to know their reasoning on that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In WI that is a stupid law.!!
I would like to know their reasoning on that.
itused to be worse, in the old days a collector car couldn’t be driven 4 months a year but you could spend $30 for a permit to drive those months

too bad they got ridof the off season operation permit.

even dumber than the collector law is the fact my truck costs $75 for its registration but my Insight is $185.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My first post. After following this thread I applied for a collector plate for my 2000 Insight in Wisconsin. I got the Wisconsin Certificate of Vehicle Registration in today. It might be 4 to 6 weeks before the plate arrives.
The cost for the collector plate was $170. That is two years license fee ($75) plus $20. The $20 was lower for me since I have a 1948 Studebaker truck with collector plates already and the second collector plate is cheaper. It costs $220 for the first plate.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also for Wisconsin, you will need to have at least one other car registered in your name.
Above is mildly false.

you only need another newer car registered to you while getting the plate, once you have a collector plate you can dispose of the other and there is little they will do.

I know several folks who are going on a decade with only a collector car or a collector car and a moped as their transport.

very sad theygot rid of the full off season permit, you could drive year round while that existed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish you could get custom collector plates. They're so ugly. :|

But yeah I guess I'll just register as collector. Cheaper than regular plate now.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I wish you could get custom collector plates. They're so ugly. :|

But yeah I guess I'll just register as collector. Cheaper than regular plate now.
That’s why I decided to get a Hobbyist plate instead of Collector.... I like green better than blue!!!!

61 - 78 of 78 Posts