Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wright brothers perfected the wings for A self powered flying machine. They made a windtunnel to test their wings in miniature . I think they made the prop for their Air plane which is a rotating wing.so anyway I figure if them guys could build it I should learn how to fly it. So I did. In dedication to some great fellers in the Air Force i'm going to build me a Boat Tail!!! Starting off that piece of plastic is 12 foot Long 50 inches wide. that little piece of cardboard with the roll of blue tape on it is the pattern of the glass hatch on the back of the car.I placed it over the glass hatch so the curvature length is in there cut out with scissors. After cutting The plastic put it back on car to get an idea of the fit. It will be a 9 foot boat tail 3 feet will replace the glass hatch. This Will be a arduous long frustrating mood altering endeavor that happy guys on farmers only.com would never think about attempting. I have high hopes of it being so long but probably will only be a four footer when it's over. I showed Mr Sam what I was going to do and he said looks like great fun. Remember farmers only.com I could be doing that . Anyway it will have semi truck taillights on the back . I hope to make it look like the backside of a Aptera ! To me that's a beautiful lovely outstanding roller derby type looking car. I won't get it done very quickly maybe days in between work sessions. I asked a policeman friend if it would be OK? He said go ahead we can make more tickets.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Worked on The boat tail today.drove 50 miles an hour on 5 mile test run with boat tail. I was impressed that it didn't blow off I was overjoyed there were no cops!while driving at 50 -52 I was getting close to 113 miles p g. When I coast half mile to make a right hand turn 128 mpg. I'm glad I did it but I don't like it it's noisy can't see behind me as well but I got it out of my system. Better off driving 5 miles an hour slower than do the boat tail. I think I get better at 40 mile an hour I see no difference at 50.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
You could try leaving the hatch glass in place, but removing the rear spoiler (plastic piece at the end of the glass), and use that area to attach a small kamm or extension.

Supposedly sharp edges are better for the back of the car, and the Insight has a rounded rear bumper. Personally, I think it's a great looking car from every angle except from behind. Would be nice if there were a fiberglass or plastic aero rear bumper "body kit".

EDIT: This is a good image to show what I mean. Newer Prius has a sharp edge at the back to improve separation and reduce turbulence.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
NathanC. you said you made short mpg test at 50mph. I would submit the negative effects of aero begins at 50mph. IMHO the best testing sould be done at 60 and 70 mph.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4 i'm not done yet with the bt . A friend of mine look at it earlier today and liked it. He said with a little more elbow grease You might have something there. I'm just trying to get an idea if it's worth doing – so it's not a show room finish job right now. If it were my only car I would not do it. It rain tonight so tomorrow I'll do a little more get some duct tape fingernail clippers A cold one and give it the 60 mile an hour test run. My male modeling career has slowed down so I can spend more time working on the car. I love the smell of poly carbonate in the morning!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wanting the car to get the same mileage at 50mph with bt. As it gets 40 mph without bt . It's not going to it happen .

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Here's a link to ecomodder with some pics by 'metrompg'. I think the red car he mentions (Jim) might be 3wheeler.

edit: found 3-wheeler's on ecomodder. He listed specs.

Ecky found it too, listed on previous page.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being a proud member of the five timers club. I will now be A person who has given an old word A new meaning. Something that is a waste of time - effort - money and no future in the endeavor for now on shell be called a BOAT TAIL! FoR Instant if someone says Loan me $1000 and I will pay you back and you do that 's a boat tail mistake.

·
Super Moderator
4,800 Posts
Hey, Nathan! Will you lend me $1,000? I want to invest in a boat tail. I will pay you back with the money I save with increased mileage.

Sam

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After all the disappointment with bt I went to my quiet place. And did some dancercise ! I modified the BT again still no defrançais . So now I am just your every day typical nonchalant no big deal ordinary average guy with no boat tail on his car .in other words I'm a happy guy.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts