Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all Honda Fit alloy wheels fit our Insights? Are the offsets the same for 1st and 2nd Gen Honda Fit models? Not even considering 3rd Gen Fit wheels.

Still mulling over trying to find a set of 16 inch Fit wheels (for Summer tires) that look like the 16 inch Insight wheels our friends in England get on their Insights from the factory.

Also: decided to go on Honda of Germany site just to see the offerings on the Continent for yucks and giggles. No Insights on their Menu, but they do have the Civic sedan along with the Euro Civic Hatch and Tourer. The Fit shown on the site is still the 2nd Gen for some reason.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kinda disappointed that no one here knows if Honda Fit alloys (Second Generation 2007–2014) actually fit our Insights, since the Insight is based on the Fit, I figured someone had already tried that out.

The UK Insight (grade HS and HX) come with 16 inch alloys that are exactly like the U.S. Fit Sport 16 inchers, so I would imagine that the offset would be that used on the Second Generation Insight.

No one has tried this wheel on an Insight here in the U.S.?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always wanted to try it but it was hard to locate a cheap/decent set of Fit rims... And by the time I had to change tires, I still couldn't locate a set so I went aftermarket on my Insight.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great site! But the offset is stated for the 2009 Insight. Wonder if offset changed at all from 2011 to the 2012 models here in the States, since the OE tire width measurement went from a 175 to a 185?

I've noticed that a few places have the offset listed as 50mm for the 2013 15 inch alloy. Could that be right?

Seems difficult to nail this info down.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I believe they are all the same. I've got 16" with summer tires and 15" with winter tires and my dealer sells them both for all years of Insight indifferently.
The '11 Elegance had 16" alloys as standard, with the 185/55/16 Bridgestone ER230 tires.
AFAIK it is all ET 45% aspect ratio, on all rims.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Rubbing is an issue lots of people worry about when mixing and matching wheels. You can fix that with spacers or rolling the fender. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The rims in the US did not change in 2012. I think they went to the From 175/65 to 185/60 because there are a lot more tire choices. The OEM Dunlops here were awful and changing to much better tires made the Insight into a different car.* Sometimes Honda is cheap to a fault. I think Europeans get better Hondas because the Germans would not accept the cheap corner cutting Honda does in the states.

I changed to Michelin Defenders that were about $116 each at the time (before discounts and rebates) As a 2010 owner I had to talk them into ordering them for me. The computers say the 185/60 don't fit. I found this funny because the same chain put the 2000 size on our 2001 Civic and put the tire model with a lower speed and load rating on the 2003 Odyssey. I caught the Ody right away & made them change them out, but the Civic I did not notice until it was way too late.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
185/55 16 tires are not so plentiful. Looked at TireRack and only found 5 regular all season tires, 1 LRR all season and 6 snow tires.

If you size up to 195/55 16 tires, there are a lot more choices. Especially in the LRR group. Most of those tires are 24.4" diameters... like the 185/65 15 tires that Cobb put on his Insight.

Surprised that they use 185/55 16 size over there. Did the 2012s and and after Insights get tires up-sized to 195/55 16 over there?

Insight EX here went from 175 to 185 width 2012 on.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
From what I have read here, posted by Europeans, is that their tire availability is different mostly because the tire rules are different. I was talking only about why American Honda might have changed the tire size on the same rim. There is a lot more choice in 185/60/15. 185 /55/16 is another story.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts
There aren't so many 185/55r16 tyres available here either. 195/55r16 are more widely available and cheaper and I've heard of UK I2 owners using them on the ES/EX/HS/HX rims.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Those mini one rims are :cool: They look very aerodynamic too.

If they're available in 15's and 5.5 or 5j then i may well have a set. I'm struggling to find some skinny 15''.

EDIT- Oh, are they just steelies with hub caps?
My bad, they are indeed steel 15" Mini One rims with Mini One hubcaps.
The Mini One is a popular lease car here and as the contracts expire many people seek to sell their special rims they bought for it outside their contracts. So they can be had for a good price.
These were fitted with winter tires (hence the autumn leaves ;) proud new owner happy with the sharp deal)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, then, if Fit/Jazz 16 inch alloys are the same as the UK Insight's 16 inch alloys, and owners are sticking the larger 195/55 16 tires on their cars without problem... I may try that.

Was talking to a "wheel" guy on the phone yesterday and he looked up the first gen 16 inch Fit/Jazz alloy and said that his source said they are a 55mm offset. He said it's probably that way to compensate for the wider tire that comes on the larger wheel. He said the extra 10mm would likely make make room for the wider tire that comes with the sport package.

Maybe on Monday I'll stop by the Honda dealer and see what specifics I can nail down. There has to be some way to get these figures. I'll give it a shot if the weather cooperates. There's talk of a Winter weather event around here. In any event, I'll get down there as soon as possible this week.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do let us know what you find out. TireRack lists the same 43mm to 45mm offset for compatible wheels for both the Fit Sport and the Insight. I would trust them more than the dealers, who usually have no clue about these things...

Well, then, if Fit/Jazz 16 inch alloys are the same as the UK Insight's 16 inch alloys, and owners are sticking the larger 195/55 16 tires on their cars without problem... I may try that.

Was talking to a "wheel" guy on the phone yesterday and he looked up the first gen 16 inch Fit/Jazz alloy and said that his source said they are a 55mm offset. He said it's probably that way to compensate for the wider tire that comes on the larger wheel. He said the extra 10mm would likely make make room for the wider tire that comes with the sport package.

Maybe on Monday I'll stop by the Honda dealer and see what specifics I can nail down. There has to be some way to get these figures. I'll give it a shot if the weather cooperates. There's talk of a Winter weather event around here. In any event, I'll get down there as soon as possible this week.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Pretty sure that the fit 16"s would fit perfectly without any issue. Have a look at the alloys available for the Jazz and Insight in the UK... they list the exact same wheels... must be the same... based on the same platform. Are they going to provide dealers with the same wheels with different offsets by model... hugely unlikely.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/jazz/_assets/downloads/accessories/jazz-accessories.pdf

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/insight/_assets/downloads/accessories/insight-accessories.pdf

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have to go into town in the morning, so I'll stop by the Honda dealership. Not going to waste time asking sales department. I'll be looking for Fit/Insight wheel specifications.

There should be some info written down someplace. I'll see if I can find it. First and Second Generation Fit, plus Insight wheel specs.

No guarantees, but will definitely report whatever I dig up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My day turned out a lot differently than I though it would. Go dragged into a project, so by the time I was done, the service desk had packed up and gone home. Sorry.

I'll try getting down to the Honda store another shot Tomorrow or Friday. I really want to find this wheel stuff out so we can have easy access to accurate info when it comes time to buy new set of wheels for Insight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some time spent reading the Fit forums suggests the Fit is +35mm and the Insight +45mm.

EDIT: after some more reading, it seems the 16" alloy wheels on the 2015 Fit have offset of 53mm (not 35mm). I saw a picture of the stamp on said OEM wheel rim: 16x6j 53 stamped. I'm inclined to believe that is right, if that "53" in the stamp is indeed the offset... :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stopped in to service/parts dept at Honda dealer in Portland. They were too busy and understaffed to look up the data I was asking for.

Parts guy said to try Tuesday or Wednesday... that he'd be there early, and would be glad to look up the wheels specs. So we will see how that works out.

I've read the gamut on forums about wheel offsets. Lot's of different ideas and myths floating around. Hard specs are out there. Just not that easy to find and actually look at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts