Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Insight with 75K miles

Just yesterday I noticd the mileage was a little higher and the battery electric assist was being used a lot more than normal, that may explain the improved mileage.

The trouble is that the battery has almost NEVER gone under two ticks down from full charge unless I an driving in the mountains (only did that once) or have a passenger and are traveling at low speed (stuffing mail boxes with flyers lots of stop and go at slow speeds, did that one time also.)

I have often wondered why the battery never ever went down and wondered if it did - meaning the electric assist was used more often - would mpg go up, well the miles go up for sure but I am troubled that I may get stuck if I can't charge the battery enough to keep functional. I now need to drive very cautiously to avoid running the battery down - it drops almost while I watch and press the accelerator, it has NEVER done that before.

1) Is it normal for the battery to not ever go under a tick or two low?

2) Is the car now finally acting normal and all these years it has been cheating me of great mileage? (I get 50mpg for the life of the car, I expected 55-60 mpg.)

3) Is this sudden change a signal the battery needs to be replaced?

4) Am I at risk of getting stuck with no propulsion?

Thanks

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Greg and welcome to the forums :!: :)

Umm... tried looking at all the recent threads on this topic yet :?: :oops:

help! battery SOC problem!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6239

IMA charge indicator stuck
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5868

Got the car home. 2486 miles $114.38
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6253

And of course the BIG one here:

Sticky: US IMA warranty 10 year extension UPDATED to all 50 states!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a cold issue, was not an abnormally cold night

thanks for the pointers to the threads on the battery discharge.

I dont think it was cold as we are out of the 'hard' winter here in DC.

I am due for my 75K service, maybe the tech will know what is wrong. (I say that knowing he probably will not - this list is all I have for good intel on this buggy.)

Any more help out there?

·
Registered
702 Posts
i cant offer anything else than those threads can...bc thats where i learnt all i know, lol

but i can tell you, that even if you 144V battery goes completely dead, you can still drive it as a normal gas vehicle...using the 12V battery and engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well that is good to know ... at least I'll not be stuck somewhere ... but I sure will not make the other drivers too happy at 10 miles per hour

:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
haha...70 hp...1800 lb car...u can get it up to highway speeds easily

in about 4 days :lol:

·
Registered
408 Posts
:lol: Yeah, a dead IMA makes acceleration in 5th gear pretty much non-existent. Once your up to speed, it's not much different that with IMA.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
ikhoudvanu199 said:
but i can tell you, that even if you 144V battery goes completely dead, you can still drive it as a normal gas vehicle...using the 12V battery and engine
Keep reading. ;)

Unitl the 144v battery goes completely belly-up There have been reliable reports of one type of IMA battery failure where all of the available IMA output will be "consumed". You'll then be in 12v discharge (the battery warning light will be on, the one that looks like a conventional Honda's alternator warning light).

You'll be walking shortly thereafter. :|

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the car back from the dealer. They asked Honda and the response is this behavior is normal. It is normal for the IMA meter to drop down to almost 1-2 ticks remaining.

My car has NEVER done this in 5 years, now I am told that finally it is acting 'normal'.

I see the IMA meter go down and down as I drive ....I worry what happens if it hits zero .... but Honda says this is normal behavior.

Maybe the meter is now behaving properly when it was not before and the IMA charging has not changed, only the behavior of the meter.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
gorhamgreg said:
I see the IMA meter go down and down as I drive ....I worry what happens if it hits zero .... but Honda says this is normal behavior.

Maybe the meter is now behaving properly when it was not before and the IMA charging has not changed, only the behavior of the meter.
If you had read the thread in the links given then you'd know what happens when the SoC gague hits bottom. (Hint: read the thread)

And yup the SoC gauge does all kinds of strange things (even stay near 100% SoC for 5 years). Its normal. Battery aging is normal too and as time progresses you'll see "different" gauge behavour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is somewhat comforting that this happens a lot.

Regarding te threads (and reading)

The cold was ont a factor in my case
The dealer did the reset process of pulling the fuse and on the drive home it still did the odd behavior.

What I did get when I went back to re-read the links was that when the battery fails, it is under warranty and the only way to get it replaced is to have a code stored, so far there are no codes indicating failure recorded ... let's hope they do not get stored when I am in the middle of nowhere

I still am puzzleld why this happens all of a sudden, nothing happens without a cause. In my case it was not cold. One possible slight difference was my drive the day before. I took "the long way" to work and back home. This route is 100 miles of relatively uninterrupted constand speed each way. It is possible that I have not done that before and the long drive under those condidions caused a calibration change.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Greg

PS another question, perhaps burried in another thread, what behavior will I get when the battery is starting to die? Is this meter thing one? Others? When it does die I am looking at running on the gas engine only for a while, how long will that work alone until total a stop?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
gorhamgreg said:
PS another question, perhaps burried in another thread, what behavior will I get when the battery is starting to die? Is this meter thing one? Others? When it does die I am looking at running on the gas engine only for a while, how long will that work alone until total a stop?
Generally more frequent forced charging and or recals will be the indication of a near end of service life IMA battery pack.

Depending on many factors you _may_ be able to run without the IMA battery pack being operational, but it most likely will ultimately fail in such a way that you'll also loose the 12v system. Remember the Insight has no alternator nor could one be "easily" fitted. It uses the IMA 144v output and a DC-DC converter to step it down to 12v.

You'll be "dead" within a few miles once the 12v battery warning light comes on. Concurrent with the red IMA warning light staying on and an IMA battery pack code of death :?: Weeks, months later :?: Too many variables to say. There have been credible posts in the past of both these scenairos.

HTH! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts