Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Insight ES with the stock 16" alloy wheels. The standard tyre size is 185/55r16.

A few months ago I noticed some air leakining from the tyre valve on one of my wheels. I took it to a tyre fitter, who cleaned it out and fitted a new valve but he mentioned that the wheel was deteriorating with signs of corrosion and the laquer peeling off. Sure enough, on closer inspection I noticed that all 4 rims were showing signs of bubbling (especially near the wheel nuts) and the laquer peeling off in places.

Recently I've had another slow leak from around a valve on another wheel, identified from foaming after I put some soapy water on the wheel.

Anyone else have the same problem? UK roads aren't the best for keeping wheels pristine, as they salt them in winter. Still, I'm a little disappointed at how they have held up.

I asked my local dealer to take a look. The wheels are out of warranty, and Honda were unwilling to contribute (goodwill), although the dealer did say they were surprised at the deterioration. They quoted £230 to refurb all four, which doesn't seem too bad.

In the mean time I spotted a set of 4 rims identical to mine (stock I2 ES / EX UK rims - but better condition) on ebay and have bought them for £130 delivered.

Assuming they all continue to hold air OK, I'll probably have my summer tyres put on the best wheels and use the others for a winter set.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Alloy wheels do develop micro cracks and fractures. I had a customer once who had problems and turned out his dog use to take a leak on his wheels and that accelerated the problem.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new tyre valve solved the air loss. I picked up a set of alloys identical to mine (16" ES ones) for about £130 delivered on eBay (no tyres included). Going to run 2 sets, one for winter and one for summer. Just waiting for the weather forecast to predict temperatures consistently below 7 Celsius before having them fitted.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It was a private individual. For some reason they had put them on a Jazz and wanted a change. If you want the 15 inch alloys, I would look for Insight SEs or HEs that are breaking. Although demand isn't very high, neither is supply.

By comparison, getting the alloys new from Honda would have been about £300 a corner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts