Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows,

I just arrived at home from seeing at one 2010 Insight unit that I found on my local Craigslist.

The car was nice, good maintenance records... the owners were very nice people, and I drove the car and it seemed in good shape mechanically. It responded well to the pedals, tires almost new, brakes too.. the car is around 100k.

So I gave my word to the owner of purchasing it next week.

The only "things" that the car had, were that it had the TPMS light on the dash,
and that when checking the lights, we noticed that the passengers red tail light didn't work when I pressed the brake pedal.

The owner said that they had been driving the car with the TPMS for a while, and that we could just ignore it. I'm thinking into getting the car to a Honda service shop when I have more savings.

We guessed that the tail light problem would be a bulb, but when I arrived at home, I checked here and saw that the whole unit must be changed (since) they were LEDs and it costs around $200...

Does these two things could be an indicator of further (and worst) problems?
When testing the car, I didn't notice anything weird.

Also, I agreed on the price, that seemed fine, but if now I have to go and change the whole tail light I would want to renegotiate... how I should proceed..

what you would do, guys..

I was happy when I left his house, and now I'm kinda boomed...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi fellows,

I just arrived at home from seeing at one 2010 Insight unit that I found on my local Craigslist.

The car was nice, good maintenance records... the owners were very nice people, and I drove the car and it seemed in good shape mechanically. It responded well to the pedals, tires almost new, brakes too.. the car is around 100k.

So I gave my word to the owner of purchasing it next week.

The only "things" that the car had, were that it had the TPMS light on the dash,
and that when checking the lights, we noticed that the passengers red tail light didn't work when I pressed the brake pedal.

The owner said that they had been driving the car with the TPMS for a while, and that we could just ignore it. I'm thinking into getting the car to a Honda service shop when I have more savings.

We guessed that the tail light problem would be a bulb, but when I arrived at home, I checked here and saw that the whole unit must be changed (since) they were LEDs and it costs around $200...

Does these two things could be an indicator of further (and worst) problems?
When testing the car, I didn't notice anything weird.

Also, I agreed on the price, that seemed fine, but if now I have to go and change the whole tail light I would want to renegotiate... how I should proceed..

what you would do, guys..

I was happy when I left his house, and now I'm kinda boomed...
At the end of the day it's all about the price tag... whats the miles and whats the price he's asking?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Well, let’s see,
About the TPS light, if all the tire pressures are at at least spec, then one or more of the sensors mounted to the tires needs replacing. The batteries in those are 8 years old by now. They probably should have been changed the last time the tires were. Tire stores, and not just the dealer, have the equipment to program those. (Around here, we run tires at higher pressures for fuel mileage)

The led tail lights were a known issue in those early Insights, so there is no weirdness there. Lots of folks had them fail. If it was my Insight, that I bought new and had had dealer service, I would be expecting them to be replaced for free. One pays extra for led tail lights because they last forever. Honda should be bringing the failure up with their suppliers, not expecting us owners to buy new ones. But failing LEDs of all types bit early adopters.

What do you mean by good maintenance records? Has this Insight been back to a Honda dealer? How many times has the CVT fluid been changed? Have the software updates been done? Have all the airbag recalls been done?

Pretty soon, the MID (multi information display) will set a code for having the spark plugs replaced. There are 8 (!) of them and they are very expensive. There is only one brand and type that should be used. To replace the rear set, you have to take apart most of the windshield wiper plastic parts, so professional installation is also expensive. You might price that job out for budgeting. I let ours go to past 120k without issue. Around 105k is the normal interval. This engine has a timing chain, so no timing belt service is required.

So that’s my take on this Insight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, let’s see,
About the TPS light, if all the tire pressures are at at least spec, then one or more of the sensors mounted to the tires needs replacing. The batteries in those are 8 years old by now. They probably should have been changed the last time the tires were. Tire stores, and not just the dealer, have the equipment to program those. (Around here, we run tires at higher pressures for fuel mileage)

The led tail lights were a known issue in those early Insights, so there is no weirdness there. Lots of folks had them fail. If it was my Insight, that I bought new and had had dealer service, I would be expecting them to be replaced for free. One pays extra for led tail lights because they last forever. Honda should be bringing the failure up with their suppliers, not expecting us owners to buy new ones. But failing LEDs of all types bit early adopters.

What do you mean by good maintenance records? Has this Insight been back to a Honda dealer? How many times has the CVT fluid been changed? Have the software updates been done? Have all the airbag recalls been done?

Pretty soon, the MID (multi information display) will set a code for having the spark plugs replaced. There are 8 (!) of them and they are very expensive. There is only one brand and type that should be used. To replace the rear set, you have to take apart most of the windshield wiper plastic parts, so professional installation is also expensive. You might price that job out for budgeting. I let ours go to past 120k without issue. Around 105k is the normal interval. This engine has a timing chain, so no timing belt service is required.

So that’s my take on this Insight.
He changed the tires last year, but I didn't check the brand or model. Only that they were pretty new. Which pressure do you use? He said something around 30 psi, if I'm correct. He also mentioned that they always drove the car on ECO mode getting around 40 mpg, maybe more.

Regarding the tail lights, I spoke with the owner and He said that He it's going to fix it next week, with some used one He found online. So I think that if He's able, I will be good here.

Regarding the plugs, I just checked online, and from I was able to read on sites like repair-pal, they are going to cost up to $350, does this agree with your experience?

Regarding the history of the car, the owners moved to Florida like two year ago, and over here they have been using independent service shops, but back in their original state, they've used a Honda dealership. The car had no accidents reported, both airbags done, motor oil and cvt fluid changed every 7k miles...No sure about the software updates though...

I guess I could ask...

I mean, the price seemed fine to me, and I wouldn't want to bother them too much, being an used car, some maintenance is expected, and I like to have my cars in the best shape possible..
What concerns me is this is going to be my both my first hybrid and my first Honda, so I'm pretty new here, and wouldn't want it to be somewhat painful..

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sounds OK to me.
What is the model? LX, EX, EX-NAV? That effects used car value.

An EX, in my zip code in California, with 103k on it is worth between $3900.-5500. The trade in value is $2160.-3670. So the seller doesn't want too much, provided it's not the lowest base model and is very clean. Service records are big plus.

About buying a hybrid: This one seems to have been driven quite normal miles.
Any hybrid is not a good candidate to be left sitting around, undriven. That would apply to a battery operated cordless drill as well. Every IMA battery failure reported around here has been the result of an accident it seems. So keep full coverage on it even if you pay cash. A slam from behind can cost a lot more than just some body work. There are 2nd generation Insights running their original battery packs to well over 200k, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Keep in mind that a weak 12 volt under hood battery can cause a lot of warning lights that mean nothing. That little battery runs all the electronic in these cars.
If you miss out on this one, keep in mind that, starting in 2012 and most if not all of 2013, Honda used experimental piston rings in the engines to try and increase fuel mileage even more. This caused the engines to burn excessive amounts of oil. Honda has extended the warranty on those engines, but the problem must still be proved and fixed. Just be aware if shopping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds OK to me.
What is the model? LX, EX, EX-NAV? That effects used car value.

An EX, in my zip code in California, with 103k on it is worth between $3900.-5500. The trade in value is $2160.-3670. So the seller doesn't want too much, provided it's not the lowest base model and is very clean. Service records are big plus.

About buying a hybrid: This one seems to have been driven quite normal miles.
Any hybrid is not a good candidate to be left sitting around, undriven. That would apply to a battery operated cordless drill as well. Every IMA battery failure reported around here has been the result of an accident it seems. So keep full coverage on it even if you pay cash. A slam from behind can cost a lot more than just some body work. There are 2nd generation Insights running their original battery packs to well over 200k, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Keep in mind that a weak 12 volt under hood battery can cause a lot of warning lights that mean nothing. That little battery runs all the electronic in these cars.
If you miss out on this one, keep in mind that, starting in 2012 and most if not all of 2013, Honda used experimental piston rings in the engines to try and increase fuel mileage even more. This caused the engines to burn excessive amounts of oil. Honda has extended the warranty on those engines, but the problem must still be proved and fixed. Just be aware if shopping.
It's an EX-Navi trim.. kbb lists here between $4200-$6200 in good condition for a private party typical sale price of $5250.. so that seems good to me. Could need an inside cleaning and has some small paint chips on the back, but I thinks that's all (besides of what I stated earlier).
What I liked was the fact that they we're the original owners and have been taken care of the car.
And I will do too.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Navigation was the only way to get Bluetooth in 2010-2011. We went for Navi for that reason. It doesn’t do Bluetooth audio like the newer cars do, that Navi was old when it was new. In 2012 the Navi started having real time traffic for instance. Disks to update the maps are about $100. We have never done so.
There is a usb connection in the center console that will play music or podcasts off of an iPhone/Android. And charge.
Price is good for that model. Sticker was $25k when new, we paid about $21,000 before taxes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Navigation was the only way to get Bluetooth in 2010-2011. We went for Navi for that reason. It doesn’t do Bluetooth audio like the newer cars do, that Navi was old when it was new. In 2012 the Navi started having real time traffic for instance. Disks to update the maps are about $100. We have never done so.
There is a usb connection in the center console that will play music or podcasts off of an iPhone/Android. And charge.
Price is good for that model. Sticker was $25k when new, we paid about $21,000 before taxes.
Actually I don't care too much about the Navi/Bluetooth thing because it seemed old, as you said, and pretty much we use the Garmin one we got, or Waze pretty much these days.
And because the car has the aux input you can throw a cable and make the phone do the music so..
But it doesn't hurt to have it I guess..

I'll make a post with pictures once I have it and cleaned properly..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The Insights Bluetooth is good for hands-free calling but doesn't support streaming audio. If you use Spotify or the like you are tied to the aux jack for music.
If you have your music on your phone you could hook it up with the USB connector; the Insight will browse its maps and play any audio files it finds. You could also just put a thumb drive there of course.

30 PSI is a bit low (assuming the tire size is 185/55/R16 or 175/65/R15) even slightly under OEM recommendation IIRC. I run them at or above 40 PSI for economy and sharp cornering, but comfort suffers a bit.
Try some and see what feels best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Insights Bluetooth is good for hands-free calling but doesn't support streaming audio. If you use Spotify or the like you are tied to the aux jack for music.
If you have your music on your phone you could hook it up with the USB connector; the Insight will browse its maps and play any audio files it finds. You could also just put a thumb drive there of course.

30 PSI is a bit low (assuming the tire size is 185/55/R16 or 175/65/R15) even slightly under OEM recommendation IIRC. I run them at or above 40 PSI for economy and sharp cornering, but comfort suffers a bit.
Try some and see what feels best.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The usb connection is far superior in audio terms. We have never used the aux Jack. With NAV, the screen displays songs & albums. The usb also charges devices. It is popular to keep an old iPod in that console, connected all the time.
Because the unit is old, it will often complain that “device not recognized”
Just ignore and it ends up working. I’m pretty sure the update disks just update the maps and points of interest, not the software itself.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Exactly, also the iPod (and iPhone) if connected to the USB port have the benefit of playlist access etc.
It works better than a bare USB thumb drive as Honda put some effort in Apple integration. Even so, the USB thumb drive works well enough for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like my car. I have a 2010 white with Navi and everything at 90k miles. 5k for it sounds alright.

With that said i haven't had any of the issues this car has (which he said he will fix) and i would take that into account with the price. I'm more than confident the owners are eager to sell and there isn't a huge line demanding that car. You can probably go lower.

Otherwise great car. The Navi might be "old" but i actually love it, it's simple to use, touchscreen and is more reliable than the comparable Mercedes and Lexus navigation for the same years that we conveniently have in the family so i know them both very well (They are awful to use)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys,

finally I'm the new owner now!! I did all the paperwork this Friday.

Light problem was addressed, and still have to figure it out the TPMS one. I had to work yesterday, so I'm still have to pump more pressure on the tires and see if it's for that, but I'm guessing that it would be due to a non initialization of the sensor when they changed the tires.

I'll post some pictures here when I have more free time to have it cleaned thoroughly.

I love the car, btw.

And thank you all for all the responses. Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
congrats on your new Insight. I think you will love it.

One thing I will add to the benefit of those still considering the pros/cons of the factory stereos is that the USB user interface is absolutely abysmal. I never can figure out how to control my music from the head unit except seek forward/back. The thing has a mind of it's own. I even hooked up an old iPod running old software thinking it might like it better but there are still tons of problems. I have a new iPhone. Occasionally it spits out "Unsupported Device" but I simply reconnect the USB and it works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

already two months with the car, and no problems at all. I'm very happy. I'm
using it as my commuter car, and since my job it's really close, I'm only added
600 miles to the clock.

I changed the wiper blades, and cleaned the interior + carpet the best I could. I bought new mats too since it came with some cheap ones.

80% Oil life.

I think she will get into the 105k miles near this fall, so my intentions are to get it into the dealer and make them do proper thorough inspection, while changing the engine oil, cvt oil, filters, fluids check, and tire rotation.

I think that spark plugs should be done too, and I'm not sure if it'll need coolant flush and change.

I don't like the dealerships around here, but I guess it'll be a safest bet for this very first appointment.

No problems at all with the navigation system, the maps are outdated and that drives me crazy sometimes, but I like the system. And I'm using the aux input to plug my smart-phone. I like the sound quality of it, maybe it's a thing of impedance matching with my phone, but I like what I hear.. never tried the USB tough... lol

cheers!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plugs @ 100k with the valve adjustment.
My independent mechanic listened to the engine said no adjustment was necessary.

Not sure how handy you are but the spark plugs are expensive, both in parts and the labor as they are iridium and you must buy NGK. You have to remove part of the cowling below the windshield to access the rear bank of plugs. There are great how-to's on this site and elsewhere which you can study if you are interested and not confident.

It is a 4cyl car but there are two plugs per cylinder.

I did the job myself in about 1.5 hours and saved $200 at least.
Same with CVT. It is easier to drain and refill than the oil if you wish to save yourself $100 labor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plugs @ 100k with the valve adjustment.
My independent mechanic listened to the engine said no adjustment was necessary.

Not sure how handy you are but the spark plugs are expensive, both in parts and the labor as they are iridium and you must buy NGK. You have to remove part of the cowling below the windshield to access the rear bank of plugs. There are great how-to's on this site and elsewhere which you can study if you are interested and not confident.

It is a 4cyl car but there are two plugs per cylinder.

I did the job myself in about 1.5 hours and saved $200 at least.
Same with CVT. It is easier to drain and refill than the oil if you wish to save yourself $100 labor.
My problem is that I do not have the tools, nor a proper garage to do the work. So I'm a little bit sold on going to a shop (or to the dealer). I was thinking on using a mobile mechanic, but I do not know if it's going to worth it, since it's an hybrid, probably better to be handled by the Honda guys.

I saw the how-to's and I'd gladly do it myself if I could. Because I know that maybe on the dealership they're not diligent enough if they are on a rush.

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
The fact that it's a hybrid does not comlicate a valve adjustment one bit.

Sam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts