Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am about to purchase an Insight (or a Civic Hybrid). I have a civic coupe now, 2004, and love it, love the small car, but want to go hybrid. I love the insight but am concerned about outgrowing it before i pay it off.

Has anyone felt that theirs was too small? I love small cars and do not think i have ever put anyone in my back seat! i rarely use the trunk, except to lug stuff home from the office over the weekend. Just wanted some opinions.

Also, is the wheel covers a huge concern if you keep an eye on them and make sure they are on tight?

Resale market/ value for the Insight?

Can you drive on the highway and keep up with the big bad boys?

Any other comments. A lot of people are trying to talk me out of the insight, but i have loved them since they came out. I like the uniqueness. I need to decide soon because either way they need to be ordered and the order goes in next week (for Dec!!)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The Insight is pretty small. Could you live with a Miata? Comparable size.

Wheel covers are not an issue, in fact, they sort of remind you that you're working with a leading edge car, kind of like one of those solar powered racers. Plus they look cool.

Power is fine; I drive 80 sometimes (when not in hypermiler mode) at 6000 feet altitude and the car is fine.

Probably the biggest concern would be getting the bodywork done if you had an accident. Since it's all aluminum and the number sold is small, it could take a while to get a replacement body part. The Civic would obviously be a lot better in this regard.

Resale value right now should be really good!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I can't figure out why people keep asking about resale value. There's no way I'd ever sell mine :)

If it bothers you, buy a used one first and drive it for a few months. Then depending on whether you like it or not, either order a new one, or buy something else. Either way, you can probably sell it for roughly what you paid, maybe more if gas prices go up another dollar or so :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dougie. I have a 2 door civic coupe now and rarely use the back seat for anything more than tossing a sweatshirt back there. If the civic hybrid came in 2 door i would snatch it up. I see myself in a small car before a sedan. I am just wondering if anyone changed their minds after purchasing the car. My husband is not helping with the decision so i am having a hard time deciding. Right now, the Insight seems to be the car for me. Will it be in 3 years? I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hi Merigayle

If you never have anyone on the back seat, then an Insight is plenty big enough for you.

The wheel covers are not a concern, apart from minor inconvenience when pumping up the tyres (rolling back and forth). If it is something that would worry you then you could add zip-ties as well (but carry scissors in the car if you ever got a flat).

If you are concerned about resale value then buy nearly new and miss that first big depreciation hit (that you would get on any new car). Given the aluminium construction (no rust), the cars uniqueness and rarity many of us think we have a future cult classic on our hands.

The Insight does not have any trouble keeping up on the highway, I regularly cruise at 80mph and it is actually quite nimble around town.

I love the car and until a new super-sexy hybrid comes out, I do not intend buying anything else. I recommend buying nearly new (2003 or younger) rather than waste money on a new car.

Hope this helps from across the pond.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Citrus! Well, over where I live, I was told that there are none, 2003 or newer in a tri-state area. That bummed me out. From what I have gathered from this board and others out there is that people do not get rid of them. Always good to hear. The cult classic idea never struck me but can be another HUGE selling point!!! I collect Elvis Presley memorabilia, so I guess it is only fitting i get a future cult classic car. My mind is 99% made up, just need the final a-ok from my husband. Now i need to decide between the blue and red, i really htink the blue will win though. :)

Any more advice will be appreciated!

·
Registered
570 Posts
merigayle said:
Thanks Citrus! Well, over where I live, I was told that there are none, 2003 or newer in a tri-state area. That bummed me out. From what I have gathered from this board and others out there is that people do not get rid of them. Always good to hear. The cult classic idea never struck me but can be another HUGE selling point!!! I collect Elvis Presley memorabilia, so I guess it is only fitting i get a future cult classic car. My mind is 99% made up, just need the final a-ok from my husband. Now i need to decide between the blue and red, i really htink the blue will win though. :)

Any more advice will be appreciated!
merigayle....Check autotrader.com. I don't know where you are in Pa, but there are several within 400 miles of Pittsburgh, and the same for Philly, some new. Or do what I did. I bought it on Ebay, flew to Texas to get it, then drove it home to WV. There is plenty of room. We have had 7 or 8 grocery bags, a huge cooler, and two bowling ball bags(four balls) in the car. Keep up with the big boys? You can pass them :!: As far as selling mine......NEVER :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
no problem keeping up on the road. although i run about 5 mph slower than the limit to keep the mpgs up. i'm getting 70-75 daily running 60-65 mph. as for around town, if you want to you can race from light to light like all the other idiots out there. and pretty much keep up, too. but thats not why you buy a car like this.

as for room inside, the front is quite comfy for 2. and there is a ton of open room in the back, with a good sized hidden storage area. in fact, i am driving about 70 miles on thursday to buy a celica transmission for a friend and i plan to put it in the back of the insight. it would cost 6 times as much to go fetch it with my grand wagoneer!

btw, i vote for blue :)

andy g.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Almost ready to buy, need some answers, Size,tire covers

merigayle said:
<snip>

Can you drive on the highway and keep up with the big bad boys?
Well you can. And then you can chat with them at the pumps nearly as often too. :p

Seriously, the power is there when needed. And is sustainable, but with a BIG MPG hit. No point in getting an Insight and _expecting_ great MPG without some behind the wheel attitude adjustment too :!: :p ;)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. My husband and I thought about it long and hard last night. He was concerned about room in the back. We use my car for everything (his gets a whopping 8-12 mpg, only drives it for fun, work car for everything else) and when i compared the Civic Hybrid to the Insight the Civic cargo area was 10 cuft and the Insight a big old 16 cu ft!! So, I will place my order today or tomorrow, definitly blue!
Truthfully, i drive about 15 miles a day, rarely over 40 mph. But we will take it to Boston for Xmas to visit the inlaws. If all goes well, we can go round trip on one tank of gas. About 700 miles.

Now, I gotta think up a good vanity plate. Hehehehehe. :D

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
You will not be sorry.

There is a lot of space in the back. There are some pics posted a long time ago of an unusually large amount of camping gear packed inside the car - and the same gear outside. The mountain of gear appeared to be at least 3x as large as the car, but it all fit inside anyway.

You can pack a lot in without blocking any view out the back with the mirror, so you really don't even know it is there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
well, no need to answer your questions since you've made up your mind... congratulations!

i think you'll be very happy with your decision.

a couple of points of interest... the car is built on a sporty chasis. this directly effects the handling of the car. the car handles great. i have a standard civic sedan right now (trading-in soon for a 2006 civic hybrid) and my insight handles WAY better than it, even with the insight's narrow, hard composite (not the best in traction) tires... no problem.

also, regarding top speed, i can confirm that the insight goes 100+ MPH.

have fun!

·
Registered
71 Posts
tips

check oil pan plug for stripping as a used one may give trouble down the road. remedies are explained in this topic using the search in troubleshooting and see my post today and experience. Caution, achilles heel, address soon, don't make my mistake! I should have addressed it a year ago! :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts