Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Yes, those are for the G1 Insights. Costco and Discount Tires normally run sales two to four times a year. I bought my second set from Discount Tires during last Memorial Day special $100 rebate with purchase of 4 tires. Letter S is the maxspeed rating.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought some Federal Formoza Gio LRR tires for $215 for a set of 4. I currently get between 48-51mpg per tank on my 5spd with 185/60 tires and the plastic cover under the engine missing. I ordered these tires and the aluminum under body panel from Scott so I’m pretty excited to see how much the mpg shoots up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 78 is load rating and S is speed rating 78 = 973lbs per tire. S speed rating means will handle sustained speeds of 112mph without sidewall failure.
I'm wondering when people put alternative tires sizes on do they think about speed rating?
Being an old car and tire guy, I would consider the plus two upfit to a 186-60-r14 H or V rated tire for the stiffer sidewall to act like a LLR tire. Any thought?
for instance I see the 165-65-r14 has a diameter of 22.5 the 185-60-r14 has a diameter of 22.8 and then the 175-60-r14 I see alot of has a diameter of 23.7.
So the 185 is closer to the 165 in diameter with a bigger patch on the ground. So if we have a bigger patch we could have more rolling resistance, hence looking at the higher speed rating to offset the wider patch by reducing the flex in the sidewall as the tire hits the ground.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I put the narrowest possible tires on my car to reduce rolling resistance, like it, would do again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't get me wrong. The OEM tire is exactly that. What is supposed to be on it. I was just posturing the idea or thought about those that can't find that tire or want a wider tire for handling. Do they consider things like speed rating to offset the different tire width? The idea of considering rolling force on the tire as well as rolling resistance.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
^My understanding is that most of the low rolling resistance comes from the tread compound, such as its hardness, not the stiffness of the sidewall... Not positive, but I must have read something like that somewhere. In any event, I haven't seen anyone doing what you're asking about. Could be helpful...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That's part of it. It's also frontal area. More frontal area = worse aero. I'm running 155s on 13" VX wheels.

·
Super Moderator
4,793 Posts
Our 165/65x14RE92s are not related to other RE92s. They are unique tires and are only called RE92 because Bridgestone already had that line. They are THE tire for the G1 Insight. Search this site, not tire sites.

Sam

·
Registered
15 Posts
unacceptable tires?

One of my worn re92's blew out the sidewall so I went with used Dunlop Enasave 165/65/14 which had 70% of tread left. Tire Rack sells these new for more than the RE92's and interestingly they are the same spec weight everything including the reviews (slightly better than unacceptable overall).
Used price installed $160, they get comparable gas mileage to the RE92's.
For me they are great to get me to the winter, I'm having trips of 200 miles with close to 65 miles a gal.
They are OEM for the Mirage but ppl pull them cause they dislike them so much.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Of course reviews for the RE92 (or other economy tires) are going to be bad - this is the general public thinking "hmm, time to get new tires, these ones supposedly get you better fuel economy". They put them on their cars and realize they handle poorly, are loud, and barely gain them any MPG. They don't realize these tires are made for a very particular car/purpose. :)

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I've got about 75k miles on my RE92s and the shoulder tread is just now about flush with the wear bars; it's about double that in the middle, maybe 3/8" tread depth...

Just to reiterate what's been said, the 165-65-14 RE92 is different than RE92s in other sizes, most of the reviews will be for the others.

Personally I think the RE92s handle quite well for their size/class. With moderately stiffer springs, GAZ shocks at rear, and polyurethane rear bushings in the control arms, I can push the car hard through turns without losing grip. Before these mods the car would feel scary way before the tires would... My guess is that anyone in an OEM configuration would chicken-out before they've pushed the tires near their limit...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts