Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Insight, originally purchased 5/13/2001 in New Mexico. I got it in 2004, and it is now registered in Washington state. 92k miles.

In 2008 the IMA light went on (codes P1601 & P1447), and dealer fixed it under warranty.

I am getting P1600, P1447 and P1449 codes. Dealer in Everett WA says I was only covered for 8 years.

Reading here, it seems I should have a 10 warranty, at least for another 2 weeks!

So, am I still covered? For battery & all other IMA modules I made need?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes. You need to tell your dealer to refer to Service Bulletin number 06-057, dated Feb 05, 2008.

I would do this ASAP.

Edit:

I don't have a link to the actual TSB, but here's the relevant text:

background
Note: because of a class action settlement, the warrenty extention coverage for the ima battery module 0n 2002- 04 insights purchased or leased between april 13, 2002 and november 7, 2006, is now 10 years or 157,500 miles, whichever occurs first. for more information, refer to service bulletin 06-085,

2000-04 insights 10 years 150,000 miles warrenty covers 43 states
texas florida california nevada arizona colorado hawaii service bulletin 06-027

to verify warrenty extention eligibilty, you must do a VIN status inquiry

corrective action
replace ima module if it has failed. in addition, replace the battery condition monitor and the motor control module on 2000-01 models, or on 2002-04 models, replace the battery condition monitor only.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aisbell,

I was looking all over for copies of the TSBs, so your link came just at the right time.

I have them printed out & ready to take in Monday morning.

Thanks,

James

·
7,141 Posts
Wow, good timing! You should be good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The text of SB 06-057 is "certain 200-04 Insights".

Anyone know what the "certain" means?

Thanks,

James

·
7,141 Posts
AFAIK, originally, it was only certain regions that were covered. But it was extended to include all Insights in all 50 states.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: For one local dealer 06-057 didn't come up when they ran my VIN. They are calling Honda. For next closext dealer, it DID come up with VIN, and they said on phone they would replace battery under warranty.

So worst case, I take it to second dealer.

James

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
In addition, tell them to reference SB 10-061 which tells them how to search eligibility. You are covered by either 06-057 or 06-027/06-026

Yes. You need to tell your dealer to refer to Service Bulletin number 06-057, dated Feb 05, 2008.

I would do this ASAP.

Edit:

I don't have a link to the actual TSB, but here's the relevant text:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: First dealer is doing the work. Though he impied that if they had already replaced battery under warranty, they would have had to get OK from Honda to do it again.

When I pick it up tomorrow, is there anything I should do to test it out? I am only under warranty for another week, so I need to get right on any testing.

Thanks,

James

·
7,141 Posts
Update: First dealer is doing the work. Though he impied that if they had already replaced battery under warranty, they would have had to get OK from Honda to do it again.

When I pick it up tomorrow, is there anything I should do to test it out? I am only under warranty for another week, so I need to get right on any testing.

Thanks,

James
That would be false.

The only thing you can do is run the battery from the top to the bottom a few times.

I am sure it will be fine though. The cells that they use are new.

·
7,141 Posts
The battery is 'reconditioned', as in the case re-used. The cells are new.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Technically true. They have to get approval from Honda's warranty system EVERY time they replace it, but that only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
The battery is 'reconditioned', as in the case re-used. The cells are new.
I have it on good authority that the housing is new, just not the junction board.

Also, the cells may be new or NOS (New Old Stock). They are new to Honda, but the battery supplier may have them stocked up for years. Also, there may be a new manufacturer of cells or a new formulation coming down the pike, so these new style cells would obviously be brand new.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Honda warranty for repairs

Update:

Thanks,

James
Please discuss the issue of the imminent expiry of warranty with Honda.

For Honda UK, repairs by Honda dealers are under warranty for 12 months, enquire as to the Honda policy for your region.

It may be that the replacement pack, as a repair, attracts a similar period of cover.

·
7,141 Posts
I believe the replacement pack is warrantied for 1 year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will check with Honda about new pack warranty.

When I picked up the car, charge was full. On the way home I tried to run it down, but couldn't. I was going "lead foot", and trying to avoid regen. On a long hill I got it "down" to 3/4 full, but after a few miles on the level or down grade (with no regen showing) it gained two bars. Regen seems to kick in much more than before, and if I forget to hit the clutch, will max out easily if I take foot off gas. This seems new.

Is it important to try to run the battery down? I was trying getting in a high gear & lead footing, but I would have to slow down before I did much "damage" to the charge. Do I need to take it out on the highway for an extended session?

This sounds crazy, but any tricks for draining the battery?

Wish I had MIMA!

James

·
7,141 Posts
Quick, full throttle shifts to stay in assist.

It's nice to have a new battery, isnt it? :)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get used to your new amount of capacity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts