Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It must be true

Incredible lifetime mileage of over 100 MPG probably thanks to the "Adjustable Steering Wheel," "Passenger Side Airbags (plural?)," and "Body Side Moldings."

And my favorite: "REMEMBER: there are only 10,600 ACTUAL MILES on this vehicle..." (even though the odo shows 10705).

Remember... Leap years are presidential election years, and that brings out all kinds of wild-eyed claims... :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Holicow:

___I was at 100.1 mpg on the segment for about a mile sitting in a G*# Dam#$% traffic jam tonight after over 75 miles :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: If only an M1A1 Abrams would have been around clearing the way … A new Insighter w/ a brand new not even broken in Insight (for the first 3 or 4,000 miles anyway) receiving that kind of mileage? Very very unlikely. And why isn’t the guy advertising the hell out of the Insight based on the picture?

___There has been that odd mpg readout problem after starting up every once in a while that some have had. I wonder if this is that problem showing? I thought I had also read here in this very forum that the Trip Meters reset after 2,000 miles? A combination possibly?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1gen43ci][email protected][/email:1gen43ci]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I think the odo reading for Trip A is 1070.5 miles. I can't really see the decimal point in the mpg for that trip either, so I give them the benefit of the doubt...

I definitely think that my high mpg trips are all because of the steering wheel, even though I can't for the life of me figure out how it tilts!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Holicow:

___The more I look at that pic, the more it does make sense. 101.9 mpg with an empty tank (see how many bars on the fuel gauge) and 1070 miles traveled. That isn’t 10,700, it is as figgy mentioned, 1070.0 miles. Yep, makes sense.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1cxhgnuq][email protected][/email:1cxhgnuq]

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
It's a good mpg for 1070 miles, but if they really want to play a prank, they could have driven it downhill or super slow to get that.

LMPG would give a better idea how the cared for it. I wonder if they are afraid to show LMPG because it is bad?

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Figgy:
figgy said:
It's a good mpg for 1070 miles, but if they really want to play a prank, they could have driven it downhill or super slow to get that …
___Not for 1,070 miles they couldn’t. Just knowing what the 5-speed Insight is capable of, that trip meter makes sense to me now that you explained the 1070.0 miles.

___Holicow, why don’t you write to him and ask about the lmpg?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:1ii02tch][email protected][/email:1ii02tch]

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Indeed...

It is Trip A mileage, not total mileage as I thought. My bad. I saved the eBay listing picture in BMP and blew it up as far as I could just to check, and you can (kind of) see the decimal point between the digits. The empty gas gauge helps too, I didn't even notice that the first time. :(

Heck, if I ever get a tankful like that, I'm taking a picture too. :lol:

Which brings up another thought to my admittedly suspicious mind. Does that picture go with the described car? As easily as a picture can be, um, borrowed from other sources... perhaps even from a site like ours... how hard would it be to come up with an impressive picture such as this one... after all, the ad shows several stock shots instead of a bunch of shots of the actual car... and the two supposedly actual shots show no "body side moldings..."

Hmmm... :?:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Boogetyboogety:

___I wonder if Rick Reese or Brian “Chisight” have taken a digital pic of their own Insight’s that looks exactly like this one ;) Is anyone going to post this thread into the Yahoo-Honda-Hybrid group for that groups take?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2d0z0a5j][email protected][/email:2d0z0a5j]

·
Registered
489 Posts
If they wanted to be really devious, I reckon they could easily get that kind of mileage by putting the car up on jacks and running it for "1000 miles" that way.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
xcel said:
I wonder if Rick Reese or Brian “Chisight” have taken a digital pic of their own Insight’s that looks exactly like this one
I remember a picture very much like the dash picture shown being posted to the honda-hybrid or honda-insight Yahoo! group when I was still a member. I distinctly remember making a joke about the EPS light being illuminated. Note also that most of the other pictures are pulled from other sites (including InsightCentral).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats the mpg readout of MY dash (I am not looking at my log but it was my second best tank). They must of pulled the picture off the web. If you ask for the true lmpg you will see its not theirs as I bet the average on the car is no where near that number even though it would be 10% of their mileage. I know I sent the picture to a few people and it might have been on Daniel Curran's website as well. You can find details of the trip on Yahoo. (I was pretty excitted about it at the time but know I can do better now (1100+ mile trip is the record with a 104 + mpg). Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well on the way in to work I checked my gas log and yes that is my tank of gas recorded on 26 Aug 01. I also checked and it was a different earlier picture I sent Daniel. As Tim mentioned I probably posted it to the Yahoo group and probably discussed the trip on the discussion list around that time. The ebay listing doesn't specifically say that the dash picture is the car for sale but it is sort of implied. I would guess that considering the low mileage they had a lot of short trips which would lower their average. Have fun, Rick

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that is interesting, isn't it?

I knew that kind of number was possible, but only for a few and they are probably all represented here. That's why I was asking about the pic.

Posting pics of a different car in your ad is definitely questionable and unethical, and probably against the rules.

·
Registered
351 Posts
American marketing at it’s best! Pushing the bounds of legality. “Ethics? We don’t need no stinkin’ ethics.” :wink:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Head knocking needed

That's pretty disgusting behavior.

Does someone live near them so they can crack his head on a 50 psi hard-as-a-rock tire?

I can tell my own tale of a dealer who lied his pants off to me about the state of a 'perfect condition' Insight that wasn't even drivable, but I am afraid he'll come to break my legs.

I did manage to find a second super 2001 from honest good people, which will now be my girlfriend's car so we can drive around in two red 2001s and make our own little ecoday-everday parade.

In contrast to the above loser, it's nice that there are at least some honest people out there who care about their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ah, well then...

As my very good friend Ronald Reagan used to say...

"Trust, but verify."

:wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts