Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does the AM Radio Amplifier actually sit? Is it part of the rooftop antenna? Do you have to pull the headliner to get at it? Recently my AM reception went south, and I'm suspecting that this could be the culprit. Are there other likely candidates?

Thanks

-Ed

·
Registered
702 Posts
ive actually been wondering about the AM reception

i dont know about you, but the DOT here uses AM stations to get traffic info out...and i cant hear it because my AM reception is completely shot

hopefully someone will figure this out for us :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ed, can't answer the question on yours - too new to Insights.

ikhoudvanu199, are you aware your antenna must be powered to receive AM signals? There is an amplifier built into it. My AM reception was worthless, too, until I found the right wire and hooked the amplifier back up. Now it's perfect. Do a search on the forum, I forget exactly which wire it is, but one of the wires in the stereo harness must be connected to your stereo's power antenna output. If you have an aftermarket stereo odds are good this wasn't hooked up right.

·
Registered
702 Posts
EVFan

thanks, that is most likely my problem(is it the same for FM reception?)

i have 0 radio reception...it was so bad that i just took the antenna off(it looks better :lol: )...and i do have an aftermarket head unit...i have no idea who what why or how my stereo system was installed, as i keep finding odd tid bits of stereo equipment, some good, some not so good :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah - the problem is almost certainly the antenna amplifier not being powered. Just plug the "power antenna" output of your stereo into the blue wire on the wire harness adapter that goes to pin 1 of the audio unit connector.

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-co ... .html#NoAM

This will also fix your FM reception. I'm betting you got "so-so OK" FM reception and virtually no AM. That's how mine was. Now that the antenna amplifier is being powered, everything is crystal clear again.

Ed, while I was searching for the above info for ikhoudvanu199, I found this which might help you:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... tenna+wire

Another mod: apparently my antenna element was shot but I didn't know it. The radio was nothing but fuzz with only a few stations coming through, and I live by NYC where the band is crowded. When I took out the headliner and unplugger the power wire to the antenna, stations started coming in. Figured the antenna amplifier must be bad, so I took the antenna base apart and took out the amplifier, and ran the wire right to the antenna mast. Now highband FM stations came in, but I could not get anything on the lower half of the dial. On a whim I replaced the mast with some generic thing of the same length I got at PepBoys - everything worked fine after that. Was probably the mast all along and I may not have needed to remove the antenna amplifier.
Good luck...

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks so much for the quick reply and help...i will look into the amp being unplugged

1 - 6 of 6 Posts