Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of simple when it comes to electrical issues... but here's my situation:

I have an aftermarket stereo that gets poor AM reception ONLY when the engine is on.

When the engine is in auto-stop, or I've got the car on 'acc' mode (first position on ignition), the AM radio reception is perfectly clear. As soon as the engine comes on, I get a fairly constant static. On stronger station signals, it's just mildly annoying, but the static competes with and often drowns out weaker signals. Again, those weaker signals sound perfectly fine when the engine is off.

I know about the "power to the antenna" problems encountered in the past, but the wiring harness that was used to hook up my stereo had the antenna power cable, which was connected properly (as far as I can tell).

Is this some sort of grounding issue, or something else? Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
petey said:
I'm kind of simple when it comes to electrical issues... but here's my situation:

I have an aftermarket stereo that gets poor AM reception ONLY when the engine is on.

When the engine is in auto-stop, or I've got the car on 'acc' mode (first position on ignition), the AM radio reception is perfectly clear. As soon as the engine comes on, I get a fairly constant static. On stronger station signals, it's just mildly annoying, but the static competes with and often drowns out weaker signals. Again, those weaker signals sound perfectly fine when the engine is off.

I know about the "power to the antenna" problems encountered in the past, but the wiring harness that was used to hook up my stereo had the antenna power cable, which was connected properly (as far as I can tell).

Is this some sort of grounding issue, or something else? Anyone have any thoughts?
The Insight antenna has a amplifier in the base. If it is not powered, AM reception will stink. See this page.....

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-co ... .html#NoAM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JeffKinTN said:
petey said:

The Insight antenna has a amplifier in the base. If it is not powered, AM reception will stink. See this page.....

http://www.insightcentral.net/KB/faq-co ... .html#NoAM
I know this already. That's why in my initial post I specifically called that out, and observed that the AM reception is fine when the engine is not on, and that the wiring harness I used had the antenna power wire, which is hooked up correctly.

Consequently, I believe this to be a different issue.

Does anyone out there with the service manual or the electrical manual know where the antenna ground is located?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I agree, it has nothing to do with the am reception, it has to do with the spark plugs from the engine causing static. This is a common problem when changing out a car stereo. Again, it is a ground issue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Unless disturbed

Unless it's been disturbed, changed or whatever, the antenna ground is the roof of the car. Tha antenna amp wiring is the white/green wire at terminal A1 of the radio harness plug. Check for power there to verify is live. The ground for the radio is under the center of the dash (single black wire under a 10mm head bolt.)
This is a typical problem with aftermarket radios. Mine had a 'nice' Panasonic in it when I bought the car. Sounded like crap. Made the OEM speakers sound even worse than normal and even though it came with the apparently correct harness adapter, the AM was usless with the car running. Picked up the whine from the IMA system. And the spark plugs.
Changed it back to a standard Honda radio unit, the speaker sound is much improved (balanced system and all that) and the AM reception is 100% better. Still plan to upgrade the speakers later on.

On other cars I've had with radio interference (usually from the alternator / spark plugs ) the problem was resolved by obtaining a 'noise kit' from Radio Shack. Consists of a choke coil and capacitor that one patched into the radio power line. Might be a last resort here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts