Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an Amateur radio in the Insight. I have plenty of ideas about how and where to put the radio, but I was wondering how to do the Antenna. I am thinking glass mount on the rear hatch/window. Any ideas or pics of anyone else's mods would be helpful.

-Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: Amateur Radio Install?

uvman said:
Has anyone installed an Amateur radio in the Insight. I have plenty of ideas about how and where to put the radio, but I was wondering how to do the Antenna. I am thinking glass mount on the rear hatch/window. Any ideas or pics of anyone else's mods would be helpful.
Dan;
I'm an Extra-class ham and have been thinking bout the same thing. I haven't done any mods yet, but I can tell you from experience that I had terrible performance from a glass-mount antenna. SWR was horrific and the receive sensitivity was non-existent.

The fenders of the Insight are plastic, so a fender mount antenna is no
good. You might could go for a "hatch lip" mount, but that could be a problem too. Bumper mounts won't work either, and of course a magnet mount antenna is out of the question.

On the other hand, I've got a through-hole antenna in my truck, and it's performance is excellent despite the fact that it's a little 18" shorty. Have you thought about maybe replacing that rear-center-mount AM/FM antenna with a ham radio antenna and using a duplexer to keep the ability to use the radio with it?

James Brigman - AD4SH

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my Technician approved friday. Saturday I borrowed a HT from a friend. I am planning on getting a radio friday in Dayton? I am going to ask for suggustions there too. On of my friends just drilled a hole in his Civic's roof for an antenna, and it is slick. It looks great, and works very well. I think I could use the am/fm antenna hole and moust something. I think I am going in investigate that by taking the head liner down and seeing what is up there and how large the hole in the roof is. I will probably get some advice from the friend that put the hole in his civic. I will keep you posted about what I do. Are you going to Hamvention in Dayton? I will be there with my insight this weekend.

-Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
For my CB I just used a metal brake and bent a L shaped bracket that bolts using my licence plate bolts I stick my magnet mount cb antenna to this bracket and when I am not travelling cross country i un bolt the licence plate remove the bracket and bolt the licence plate back up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Under the spare tire well?

I'm a ham too (WE7A), and have been wondering how to install an antenna for a HF/VHF radio such as the Icom 706. My only solution so far is to mount it with two aluminum plates mounted one inside and one outside the spare tire well, on the bottom. The outside plate would have a mounting arm that extends past the back bumper. I don't like the idea becasue I dread the thought of drilling holes anywhere. But I need a strong spot, one that will be able to carry the aerodynamic drag loads produced by a fairly thick loaded whip. I'm also concerned that the car, so devoid of metal, will offer so little counterpoise.

Then my other idea is maybe to try an XM radio and see what's there..... Sure would cost a lot less!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mouting Amateur Radios in Insight

I have successfully mounted a Motorola Spectra and a FT8900 on the Insight. There is a Comet UHV-4 on the vehicle right now.

Do not attempt to mount to the back lower windshield, despite the metal lips to either side, with ANY kind of lip mount.

If you are faint of heart with drilling NMO's, may I suggest a Diamond K400 heavy duty lip mount on the door, about halfway down the body, just below the window. The UHV-4 quadbander is supported very nicely by the door, and no issues closing it. Radiation pattern seems to be fine, at least by SWR indication. It doesn't look bad either !!

The Motorola Spectra is used for 900Mhz operation. A simple thru-glass antenna is fine here.

I remoted the FT8900 head, and used the Yaesu glove box mount. It is perfect. The front cigarette lighter jack supports it fine. These rigs worked fine for me just using the cigarette lighter:

Kenwood TS60-S, on hi power
Yaesu FT8900, hi power, all bands
Motorola Spectra mobile, 35W

I'm trying to figure out how to mount the W8SMD 6m halo on the roof, but no luck at present.

Best 73, KB2TCQ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts