Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone; I just returned from a weekend roundtrip: Pasco, WA to Fredonia, AZ. I drove 2016 miles and burned 22.07 gallons, achieving 91.34 mpg. Tire pressure was 49 lbs, the car is an '03 5 sd, silver. I tried to stay in lean burn & keep the speed between 56 and 66 mph. The route southbound was through Idaho & Utah, then through Nevada on the return. I even happened upon a local car show in Hurricane, UT. I drove the car right into the show, and wow! a large crowd of people gathered around, asking me many questions. They were facsinated by the car! I saw many beautiful sights on the way, and the Insight worked perfectly. What other car can perform like this??? (maybe the Audi A-2) It still is amazing to me........Billy...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Impressive. I have driven a segment of that trip, along I-84 northbound, and IIRC the mileage I got was pretty good, over 70, with the speedometer over 70 as well. Utah was beautiful for the short time I was in it (coming from the east on I-80) and I would like to go back and see more.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Billy:

___I am amazed every time I see one of your long distance posts. I can imagine the scenery you are traveling through is not only gorgeous but some many of us will never see in our lifetimes. The fact that you achieved 91 + mpg for the round trip is that much more spectacular! Nice job and I can’t wait until the day you make a trip into the Illinois area. I will be more then glad to buy you a sandwich and a beer … or Coca-Cola if you prefer ;)

___Good Luck and thanks for the details of your trip.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:eek:czqvg8w][email protected][/email:eek:czqvg8w]

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wayne; Yeah, for people not familiar: southern UT is a sight to behold; high elevations and incredible rock formations. Mountains with layered cliffs showing, as rivers have cut a path. Near St George, the cliffs are red and pink, it is stunning.

I enjoy driving my Insight so much, and I just pass by the high priced gasoline stations! I have a total of 77,000 miles on 2 Insights, and never once a recal, hesitation, or problem on ANY type.

On this trip I tried to keep the horizontal bar graph @ 125mpg as much as possible, by gently letting off the gas pedal. Every 4 minutes I would feel the Cat Purge, then it would resume the 125 mpg. I think it takes patience and alertness, and after a while this kind of MPH can become nearly 2nd nature. Also, on this trip there were many long, long climbs followed by downhill for several miles. It was lots of fun.....Billy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Very economical run :shock:

xcel said:
Hi Billy:

___I am amazed every time I see one of your long distance posts. I can imagine the scenery you are traveling through is not only gorgeous but some many of us will never see in our lifetimes......
Are you trying to say that there are Americans who haven't seen the likes of Bryce Canyon, Arches N.P., Bonneville Salt Flats, .............?
What a shame ! It's all an absolute must-see !
I loved it over there and am very thankful to have seen it all.
Really wonder though how the countryside looks like through the windscreen of an Insight :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi No.166:

___There are US citizens that haven’t even stepped out of their own state let alone seen what beauty our country has to offer … A belated Thank you goes out to Mr. Theodore Roosevelt!

___I personally haven’t been up into the Pacific Northwest (I have made it as far as the Bridger-Teton National Forest for a Hiking adventure in Wyoming) but have been planning on another excursion into the area and further for any number of years. The wife hates driving, I love driving and between the 2, we usually visit the Desert Southwest with California thrown into the drive, the Southern East Coast w/ Washington DC thrown in, the upper Western Midwest, and just about skip the rest of the country. One of these days, I will make it up there with or without the family because I am most certainly not going to miss it in my lifetime …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:3r5r4c7u][email protected][/email:3r5r4c7u]

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just cannot believe that anyone would miss out the splendour your country has to offer.
:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love this topic... I've driven across the country twice with my Insight. I've never done anything so fun- Hopefully I'll have another one this summer to complete the trilogy.

Here's a link to my pics from the last trip my brother and I took, alot of which feature my insight. Most were taken in Southern Utah.

http://pics.bah.net/bobs_pics/2003_06_1 ... esert_Ho!/

Whole trip was over 10,000 miles in 17 days.
BTW, I averaged almost 70mpg in my CVT for this trip with my car packed down.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bigtrouble77:

___I am on dial up so I only picked a few of the thumbnails to look at intently and am working my way through the contact sheets as I type … Absolutely stunning, just simply stunning! Thank you so much for sharing!

___For everyone else, did you notice his CVT with 61.1 mpg on Trip A ;) That must have made that trip that much more fantastic!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:accgtd5h][email protected][/email:accgtd5h]

·
Registered
348 Posts
bigtrouble77:
Thank you for them pics. Not bad, 10.000 mls in that short time :D

THAT'S what I call a vacation. Did you visit the Space-Museum in Alamogordo ? I remember very interesting exhibits there.........

·
Registered
348 Posts
bigtrouble77:
You made me get the "Rand McNally" out again and trace back the places I visited, those years ago.
Absolutely stunning pictures.......... :shock:

·
Registered
96 Posts
No. 166 said:
Did you visit the Space-Museum in Alamogordo ? I remember very interesting exhibits there.........
No I didn't, but I must have driven right past it as I went through Alamogordo. I wish I new about it. My brother and I were so despirate to get to roswell(our first scheduled stop) that we probably just over looked the signs for it. Either that or we were in zombie mode (we got to roswell from NJ in under 48 hours).

·
Registered
348 Posts
NewJersey to Roswell in UNDER 48 hrs ? :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
96 Posts
xcel, I averaged over 70mpg from day 3 to day 12. I think the added weight in the car may have helped in some areas. It was also super hot and super dry.

By the time I got back home in NJ I averaged 65mpg for the whole trip and that was after driving the last 2 days in rain. My brother only drove about 10% because I noticed he was really killing the mileage.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bigtrobule77:

___You forgot to visit Wall Drug and the Corn Palace after the Badlands on your way to MN/WI :D I was also attempting to see which Toll Booth you took the shot of but that thumbnail wouldn’t expand … If it was the first one in Illinois just out of Wisconsin on I94, it is right down the street from me! Did you come in down I35 and across I80 through Iowa? If so, it might be the I88/I5 toll out near Dixon, IL.? I don’t know as it is hard to tell form the thumbnails. And where are the pics of the Chicago skyline and your Insight on Lake Shore Drive ;)

___Your cross country pictorial is really good if I do say so myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email:2b7cf28a][email protected][/email:2b7cf28a]

·
Registered
348 Posts
holy moly !
I'd love to do such a drive.
But no such scenery here in Europe and the roads are so full of vehicles. Not mentioning the crazy driving on the German autobahns.
Suicide imho :roll:

·
Registered
348 Posts
xcel said:
Hi Bigtrobule77:

___You forgot to visit Wall Drug ........
Yes, Wall Drug..... And what about the car museum in Murdo (on the timezone boundary I-90). Is it still there I wonder ? :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Brother took the Wall Drug Pics with his traditional camera.

http://pics.bah.net/bobs_pics/2002_07_0 ... stone_Ho!/

That's trip 1, from 2 years ago. Day 2 has some shots of Chicago. We went as far as the western tip of Yellowstone.

As for the highway entrance, it's for 80-90 East to Ohio with the only other insight we saw on the trip in front of us. We actually went through south dakota via 90 then hit 29south to 80. We got off at that exit just to get some Denny's breakfast.

No. 166, check out the link above for the car museum. It's still there, I stopped by there last year too, but no pics.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It was spring 1985 when I visited the car museum in Murdo......
I was 14 and for my third time visiting the States.
Thanx for bringing the memories back :wink:
DENNYS.. I love their "eggs benedict" !!

Nice G.T.O., quite rare as a "Judge" convertible !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts