Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Insight. A citrus 2000 with A/C. I've had it a week and a half and 300 miles, and so far, I love it and can't wait to drive it some more.

Having said that, the autostop feature is one of my favorites, but through trial and error I find out that autostop is disabled if the climate control is on. Doesn't matter if it's in ECON or not, if the climate control fan is spinning, the autostop won't work.

I did some reading around, come to find out that the ambient temperature sensor is likely to be cut, missing, or malfunctioning in some way, and that can cause autostop to disable.

I looked for the ambient temperature sensor, and I think I found where it's supposed to be, but there's nothing there but a little black clip. No wires or anything. I took a picture, hopefully it's easy to see what I'm talking about.

So, my question is this: is that where the sensor goes? If yes, is there a wiring diagram I can see to hook up a new one?

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I will just say that when I have defroster or heater on autostop will not work. I assume it’s because the draw of electric being strong enough to drain battery. Just have to remember to flick switch off when stopping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the compressor is engine driven, I know that, so the engine needs to be running if the defroster or A/C is on. And the heater core uses engine coolant to make it warm, so that makes sense. But if it's on ECON mode, according to the manual, I should be getting autostop. And I'm not. That's what makes me think it's the sensor, but I can never get a straight answer from previous posts or how-tos about where the sensor actually is. Sure, behind the grille, but where? On the radiator brace? On a slat? On the bumper? Left or right side? Top or bottom?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ok. I got that. Now I know why mine doesn’t work. My sensor was cut. It’s located on the bumper fascia. I don’t have AC. So I haven’t tried Econ.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Both of my cars do but on the cvt the PO removed it because it seized up. I am not the AC type guy either way. On my black RSX I removed it to install a rotrex supercharger in its spot. That’s the kind of air conditioning I enjoy...forced air. ?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
So, my question is this: is that where the sensor goes? If yes, is there a wiring diagram I can see to hook up a new one?
Yes, that's where the sensor goes. There's probably a pink and green wire to the right hand side of that spot, if not the sensor, attached/dangling from the metal framing that holds the radiator in place at the top. If the sensor is detached you get the kind of auto-stop behavior you describe. BTW, I think that's called the "outdoor air temp. sensor (OAT)," the "ambient temp sensor" I think is the one behind the dash by the key. Or maybe that's "cabin temp"... I guess 'ambient' and 'outdoor' are often used interchangeably around here, though technically I think it's outdoor...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that's where the sensor goes. There's probably a pink and green wire to the right hand side of that spot, if not the sensor, attached/dangling from the metal framing that holds the radiator in place at the top. If the sensor is detached you get the kind of auto-stop behavior you describe. BTW, I think that's called the "outdoor air temp. sensor (OAT)," the "ambient temp sensor" I think is the one behind the dash by the key. Or maybe that's "cabin temp"... I guess 'ambient' and 'outdoor' are often used interchangeably around here, though technically I think it's outdoor...
Awesome, thank you! I'll check tonight after work and ask follow-up questions if I have any. Hopefully the wires are still there. ??

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Here's a pict I have of the wires/location. My description above was actually not right, I was thinking it was attached to the red crossmember...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, that's perfect! So, I'm assuming the bundle of wires in that black flexible plastic tube goes along the bumper, past the radiator, and into the car along the driver's side fender?

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
It just follows that metal stay it's attached to then I think it curls around the end of the radiator before it joins into a larger harness. There's just the two wires in this little section. You'll be most concerned with 'this' end, and hopefully there's still enough wire and if you're lucky the actual sensor will be resting somewhere in your bumper cover...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, just checked. No sensor, wires were snipped with a solid 8 inches between the ends of the wire and the bracket. Gonna need some wire and a new sensor. But thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,482 Posts
That (The cut wires) probably means your vehicle has had the front bumper replaced at one time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm. Good to know. Something I've found is that I can get a sensor for the Insight, but no plug. Would this work? It doesn't say Insight, but it does say Honda....

·
Registered
325 Posts
...so I just tried this now, out of curiosity. I put my AC on Econ mode and when I came to stop autostop actually worked. I can verify that the sensor wires were cut as the first time I was looking at a strange looking piece connected to fascia with wires that were cut. I just figured it was something for the AC and continued on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm. Maybe it's something else that's causing the problem for me, then. Either way, I'm still missing that sensor.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,482 Posts
benbrisky:
Please include your Location in your profile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts