Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After recently purchasing my 01 CVT Insight, I discovered a Legacy 400 Watt amplifier hidden next to the spare tire. There was no power to it but it was preinstalled.

I've discovered that the hot wire is connected to the cigarette lighter outlet.

2 questions;

1. Is there any reason why the power connection is to the lighter instead of the battery with an inline fuse?

2. Will a 400 Watt amp do any damage to the car itself. They will only be connected to 2 6.5 inch subs.

Any help would be appreciated before I rewire to the battery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, and by the way, I would just go get a smaller amp but am a cheapo and will take anything for free. With that in mind, I'd like to use the amp that I found in the car...

·
Registered
489 Posts
The cigarette lighter was possibly more accessible, would be my thought. Also I think the cigarette lighter only has power when the ignition switch is set to "on" or "accessory", as opposed to a direct connection to the battery which would have power all the time.

I don't see any harm that a 400 watt amp would do to the car. The wires running to the cigarette lighter might be too thin for this power, but aside from that I can't see any reason why it would be a problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a Rockford Fosgate install kit in my car for a 75 watt x 2 amp that is bridged to 150watts. It has 10 ga. wire and a 25 amp fuse. This kit is for up to 150 watts, so I have it maxed out. I think the accessory plug fuse is 15amps. Run a wire directly to the battery. I think you could go into "ATOMIC MELTDOWN". All the newer amps I've seen the last couple of years has a control wire that activates a switch in the amp to turn it on when the key is turned on. It is usually hooked to a key switch operated wire in the factory radio harness like the power antenna wire. What size is the wire hooked to the accessory plug. If it is about 18-20ga., it is the control wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts