Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I FINALLY, after having it sit in my garage for a couple years, installed the Amsoil Dual-Bypass remote filter setup in my Insight! I just got it done, and am really doing nothing more than showing it off to the IC world... I can't help it... I'm excited!

I used help from pretendtobenormal a BUNCH. He had done the install, already. Amsoil has a link that shows his bypass setup:

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/2006_Honda_Insight_Hybrid.pdf

I used the same positioning. What's probably most amazing, is that there are two threaded bosses on the aluminum square tube crossmember that are EXACTLY the right distance apart for the Amsoil-supplied bracket. I couldn't believe it!

Anyway, here's a poor shot of my install. By the way, I do have cruise control installed. I found JUST enough room for it under the 12V battery box.

So, I will be waiting 7,500 miles to do an Oil Analysis. I'll share what I find!

John

·
Registered
734 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what does the dual bypass do? Prolonged oil filter changes? Increased filtration and a slightly higher oil capacity?

My next question is how much does each Amsoil filter costs?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pardon my ignorance, but what does the dual bypass do? Prolonged oil filter changes? Increased filtration and a slightly higher oil capacity?

My next question is how much does each Amsoil filter costs?
Well, I'm sure the bypass system means different things to different people, but essentially, you've nailed some of the big pluses.
1) It's a dual filter setup. The traditional, full flow filter will get changed at a 1 year interval (about 3-5 times longer, depending on miles driven), and the bypass filter gets changed every 2 years. The oil itself gets changed whenever analysis says it's time.
2) You can argue the merits of amsoil filters and even the oil itself, but what is pretty much a certainty is the increased filtration. The second filter (bypass) filters to a much smaller micron level. It filters at a rate of about 10% of the full-flow filter. This is where I feel the greatest good is done.
3) Yes, the capacity of the oil in the Insight is basically doubled. If the stock capacity is 2.6 qts, then the estimated 5-5.5qts of the completed install is a large jump!
4) Amsoil as a company is built on a distribution network. Individual dealers sell at certain prices and buyers can pay retail on Amsoil's own website. You can also join a preferred customer program and pay dealer pricing. Because of this, their is a range of prices, but expect to pay $15-$19 for the full flow filter and $33-$39 for the bypass. I will also pay between $25-$35 for oil analysis (hopefully 1-2 times per year).
5) Bonus... The filters are now located in the engine compartment. Very easy to get to!

On a sump the size of ours, I don't really expect to save bunches and bunches of money. I think I'll save some, but my main interest is in the longevity of the vehicle, which I'm hoping will be improved via better filtration and greater oil capacity. I'm also happy to be sending less oil back into the environment. Kind of like MPGs, except they are MPQs (miles per quart).

Anyway, there's a bit of information. I'll post follow ups as they happen. Let me know if you have more questions!

·
Registered
64 Posts
kinda trick .... but....

i'm seeing a lot of negatives as well

1) increased cost of the added oil capacity
2) major increase in $ spent on oil filters
3) complicates the system

I bought a ton of Honda filters *bulk* so i got them for less than $5 each. I change the oil every 2500 miles, and the filter every 5k. done and done. no oil analysis to deal with. sure its a bit extra labor=time, but not a biggie for me.

I do like the benefits you have of vastly improved filtration - thats pretty cool

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Someone was writing about their oil analyses a little bit ago, at IC, and I believe it showed that, even after something like 10,000 miles of easy driving, the poster's oil was still fine... Made me question whether my penchant for 'frequent' oil changes was ... a waste of time and money... I generally do 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another net result

If the oil capacity is Doubled then the contamination occurs 1/2 as fast.The other benefit is the capacity increase. Three (2.7?) quarts isn't alot of oil in the first place if your car has the main seal leaks that some speak about in this forum. Also the known possible failure of the oil pressure switch that when the diaphragm blows it squirts oil!

·
Registered
538 Posts
The owners manual says:

Change engine oil every 12 months or 7500 miles.
Change engine oil filter every 12 months or 15000 miles.

I end up changing oil and filter once a year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One critical benefit that hasn't been mentioned about this setup, is that it looks really cool. :cool: Having seen John's install in person, it looks great- super pro job, and he has added a little science to a car that some friends are already calling the "spaceship." :wink:

I think that most things like this are not done for cost saving. It is for engine longevity- he will have super clean oil running through his system.

Most oil is changed at intervals that are arbitrary or based on old systems. Every 3000 miles is based on old technology- with synthetic oil and modern engines 7500-10k is probably ok. Still- old habits die hard.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Whats the ROI?

I dont know, oil has 2 things to worry about. Additives being used up and concentration of dirt not filtered cause its too small.

I was reviewing 2 bottles of 0w20 by mobile 1. The green bottle stated it was for conventional oil change intervals, the regular was for 10-15 thousand mile changes.

So, the green top bottle was for toyota and honda hybrids. :evil:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amsoil bypass stuff

i'm seeing a lot of negatives as well
1) increased cost of the added oil capacity
2) major increase in $ spent on oil filters
3) complicates the system
I bought a ton of Honda filters *bulk* so i got them for less than $5 each. I change the oil every 2500 miles, and the filter every 5k. done and done. no oil analysis to deal with. sure its a bit extra labor=time, but not a biggie for me.
I do like the benefits you have of vastly improved filtration - thats pretty cool
Yes, you are essentially correct on all counts. The Amsoil itself is a bit more expensive, and the filters certainly are ($5 ea. bulk is a great price for OEM!). Although, if you drive 15K mi/year, you are spending $15 a year for them if you are doing 5K filter changes. That's $30/2yrs and I'll be spending about the same as I'm only doing one filter change per year. That doesn't count the bypass filter that I'd change every 2 years at about $35. So yeah, I'm spending 100% more for filter changes, but it's still not toooooo bad.
Of course, you are doing very aggressive changes, if you'd stick to the Honda recommendations, the cost savings using OEM filters would be even greater. Not that I blame anybody for doing great preventative maintenance!
I'm HOPING that I don't have to change the oil for a long time. That's where the analysis comes in. Analysis is also a great way to kind of "keep and eye" on the engine. They can spot a bunch of stuff in the oil... hopefully that gets you a head start on problems.
As far as complicating the system... again, correct. I don't think it's toooo much more complicated, but it does add two lengths of hose and their accompanying connections. It's certainly something to keep an eye out for leaks. It is nice to be able to change the filters without spilling a drop and just opening the hood;)
These engines are so well-built that as long as the oil is changed in a reasonable amount of time, I believe they will run and run and run. This bypass setup is just something I've ALWAYS wanted to do, and I'm hoping it is extra insurance against wear. I want to own the little thing for a looooong time!
I was doing 5K oil and filter changes. The oil always came out "seeming" like it was time to change it (look/smell), but I certainly don't have any scientific proof of that. I'm like the rest of y'all... grew up with the "3,000 mile" oil change being pounded in! I'm not sure that that is still a necessity, at least with our cars, but boy, it's hard for me to reach 5K and not be freaking out!
Keep your fingers crossed! I can't wait to send in the first sample!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whats the ROI?

I dont know, oil has 2 things to worry about. Additives being used up and concentration of dirt not filtered cause its too small.

I was reviewing 2 bottles of 0w20 by mobile 1. The green bottle stated it was for conventional oil change intervals, the regular was for 10-15 thousand mile changes.

So, the green top bottle was for toyota and honda hybrids. :evil:
Hehe! Well, for me, I was changing oil and filter 3 times a year.

Oil - Mobil1 0W-20 = about $72 (8qts-ish)
Filter - Bosch = $21 (3 of them)
Total = $93/yr

Current Setup w/Amsoil (no discounts)

Oil - Amsoil 0W-20 Signature = $52 (5qts+)
Filters - Full flow = $19
- Bypass = $19 ($38 every 2 years, so $19/year)
Total = $90/yr

That's a savings of $3/yr!!!!!

Of course, the kit itself at full retail is about $270, so the ROI would be somewhere around 75 years! Haha! Now, again, I hope to only have to change out the oil every 2 or more years, so that might help cut the time down to 25 or 50 years for payback...

The real return will be the HOPE that the car's engine is very well cared for inside.

Oh! And as for oil needing to have it's additives remain useful and it's contaminants filtered... yes, absolutely correct. Amsoil is a really good oil with a strong additive count. The analysis will keep an eye on that, and the bypass filter will hopefully handle the really tiny particles!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm like the rest of y'all... grew up with the "3,000 mile" oil change being pounded in! I'm not sure that that is still a necessity, at least with our cars, but boy, it's hard for me to reach 5K and not be freaking out!
Keep your fingers crossed! I can't wait to send in the first sample!
yeah, have a hard time waiting for the maintance required light to go on at 7,500 miles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm seeing a lot of broken links and photos... bummer. Here's the document that originally got me headed the right way for my install. Not mine, but a well done one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts