Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see the temp. difference across the front of the engine. I used expensive infrared thermometer.

Outside air temp 68, very slight wind, no sun

I started the car and let it warm up on idle for 10 min then shut the car off. I took the following temp reading from the space to the right of each injector. Starting from the passenger side 130, 134,145

Increased rpm's to 2000 for 4 minutes until fans kicked on. Same place 168, 168, 175. I also took a reading from the upper intake bolts- passenger side to driver’s side 130,140,173. The heat also radiated down into the intake manifold causing a slight temp difference across the three.
The mount for the EGR was 170.

Not sure what these are for but there is a tube located next to the first injector and another next to the last injector. Passenger side tube 108 drivers side tube 160.

This shows that the engine has some temp ranges that could be causing the EGR plate to be hot on one end and cooler on the other. Possibly causing the driver’s side cylinder to be hot enough to handle the EGR gasses yet the passenger side to be a lot cooler.

Also looks like each cylinder has its own air temperature, which would cause each cylinder to have a different amount of horsepower.

Oil temp measured from the dip stick was a nice 82 using Mobil 1 oil.

Just thought I’d pass it along.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: An ideal as to why the EGR system is faulty with some pr

cakley said:
I wanted to see the temp. difference across the front of the engine. I used expensive infrared thermometer.

<snip>

Just thought I’d pass it along.
Nice field work. However, non contact thermometers plus several other variables using this approach will not yield conclusive "proof" of a design fault. Or that a true temperature variation of a great enough significance exists.

>Oil temp measured from the dip stick was a nice 82 using Mobil 1 oil.

On virtually all cars it is unusual for oil temp to vary more than 1 deg. F from engine coolant temp. A good example of one limitation of IR thermometers.

If you want an engine that looks as clean (on the inside) with 200K+ miles as when it was factory new switch fuels to LPG or CNG. You also get the benefit of 25k oil change intervals. And will never have an EGR port clog. However, the energy equivalent of these fuels is significantly lower than gasoline so your equivalent MPG will be much lower. Performance will also be, by the feel of the "seat of your pants," weaker.

And even with a near perfect design, eventually EGR port(s) will clog.

Next step? Remove EGR plate for inspection and cleaning. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Insightful Trekker said:
cakley said:
And even with a near perfect design, eventually EGR port(s) will clog.

Next step? Remove EGR plate for inspection and cleaning. :)
True. So far I have removed the EGR valve and sprayed a cleaner called DeepCreep made by a company called SeaFoam into the egr system passage. I let the cleaner sit for 10 minutes before starting the engine. It's been three days and I haven't noticed the surging or lugging... Just might have worked :idea:

Since its extremly easy to remove the egr valve I might perfrom this cleaning every time I get my oil changed.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts

cakley said:
True. So far I have removed the EGR valve and sprayed a cleaner called DeepCreep made by a company called SeaFoam into the egr system passage. I let the cleaner sit for 10 minutes before starting the engine. It's been three days and I haven't noticed the surging or lugging... Just might have worked
:idea:

Since its extremely easy to remove the egr valve I might perform this cleaning every time I get my oil changed.
Great to hear. (sooo your earlier post was a troll and I took the bait? <g>)

I'd limit the use of such cleaners to when needed only. There are potentially other problems, e.g. cylinder wash (the cleaner washes the oil off the cylinder walls). If the cleaner is really doing a good job vs. a rotor rooter mechanical scrub then it won't be needed with much frequency. Else, its likely to become less and less effective as the passages clog with deposits that the cleaner doesn't dissolve.

HTH! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts