Honda Insight Forum banner

An obituary: #3557 2000-2023

2165 Views 56 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Tekuno Ichigo
Just got back from the hospital. Lost #3557 in a spinout this morning along Hwy 90 heading into Downtown San Antonio at 6AM. Can't tell from the dashcam if I was nudged from the rear or just had really bad traction, but the car just spun out in the rain and was hit by other cars in the process before finally impacting the center divider.

Had some great times with this G1, as it replaced my first ever Silver G1 back in 2014 from a rear end collision. At 537K miles it still had plenty of life in her. It just got repaired from a minor rear end collision a week before, got some fresh rubber on it, and got a nice little tune up in the process.

Anyhow, although I know I can find another, I was really hoping to keep her going to a million. She was incredibly reliable for me and was a faithful companion in my life. I gotta give it to Honda, the G1's body can take a serious beating. My first G1 took an 80MPH hit from the rear while I was stopped in traffic, and this G1 was hit by three different cars which eventually slammed me into the concrete divider.

When insurance finally comes around to give me the bad news, I'd love to know if anyone out there has some space in TX for me to part her out, as I live in an apartment without any reasonable way to farm out whats good. The car is otherwise intact from the quarter panels going forward. I'd love to at least salvage what I can and pass on some parts to whoever can help me get her scrapped properly. A proper front end for the @CherryBomb, a rebuilt transmission, a running engine, a Bumblebee Beemax maybe, some wheels, great glass, the list goes on.

Anyhow, I don't currently have pictures of the carnage, but let's remember the great times I had with it.

___

Buying her back in November 2014 after losing my first silver G1.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

Pikes Peak 2021 after Scott and Isaac prepped my road warrior.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle
Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Zion National Park, 2021

Automotive parking light Sky Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Plant Mountain

Starting over again in San Antonio, TX, 2022

Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Plant

R.I.P. "Techno Berry" :(
See less See more
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Just got back from the hospital. Lost #3557 in a spinout this morning along Hwy 90 heading into Downtown San Antonio at 6AM. Can't tell from the dashcam if I was nudged from the rear or just had really bad traction, but the car just spun out in the rain and was hit by other cars in the process before finally impacting the center divider.

Had some great times with this G1, as it replaced my first ever Silver G1 back in 2014 from a rear end collision. At 537K miles it still had plenty of life in her. It just got repaired from a minor rear end collision a week before, got some fresh rubber on it, and got a nice little tune up in the process.

Anyhow, although I know I can find another, I was really hoping to keep her going to a million. She was incredibly reliable for me and was a faithful companion in my life. I gotta give it to Honda, the G1's body can take a serious beating. My first G1 took an 80MPH hit from the rear while I was stopped in traffic, and this G1 was hit by three different cars which eventually slammed me into the concrete divider.

When insurance finally comes around to give me the bad news, I'd love to know if anyone out there has some space in TX for me to part her out, as I live in an apartment without any reasonable way to farm out whats good. The car is otherwise intact from the quarter panels going forward. I'd love to at least salvage what I can and pass on some parts to whoever can help me get her scrapped properly. A proper front end for the @CherryBomb, a rebuilt transmission, a running engine, a Bumblebee Beemax maybe, some wheels, great glass, the list goes on.

Anyhow, I don't currently have pictures of the carnage, but let's remember the great times I had with it.

___

Buying her back in November 2014 after losing my first silver G1.

View attachment 103191 View attachment 103190 View attachment 103189

Pikes Peak 2021 after Scott and Isaac prepped my road warrior.

View attachment 103184 View attachment 103185

Zion National Park, 2021

View attachment 103186 View attachment 103187

Starting over again in San Antonio, TX, 2022

View attachment 103188

R.I.P. "Techno Berry" :(
Wow you did the canyon drive with that car? So cool haha
Reactions: 1
Yeah it was a great time and got some guilt free regen in the process. It definitely held its own in the curves.
@Zoooms used to canyon carve his insight. Used to. It's now sitting in my backyard with the engine stuffed into the firewall xD.
@Zoooms used to canyon carve his insight. Used to. It's now sitting in my backyard with the engine stuffed into the firewall xD.
Ouch. That had to hurt.
Update folks:

here’s pictures of the carnage. Still starts and runs, but with any rear impact the gas gauge now reads zero with a quarter tank of fuel still in it. Rear tires were dated 4019 so about three years old when I bought them, mounted them, and stored them away for future use.

im going to venture I slipped on something I didn’t see and did the MarioKart motion from right to left.

currently sitting at copart while I get insurance to chime in. Hopefully this gets resolved soon so I can jump in the seat of another car.

See less See more
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
Ouch. That had to hurt.
Actually he walked away from the accident.

Damage report:
-Transmission snapped from frame and into 3 separate pieces
-both headlights destroyed
-front bumper destroyed
-engine block and oil pan split open
-exhaust shoved into firewall along with engine and snapped at the cat flange
-steering rack bent and destroyed
-all related front end components destroyed
-both airbags deployed
-Ego slightly bruised
See less See more
  • Wow
^^ is that Captain Morgan?
^^ is that Captain Morgan?
That's zoooms, it's a throwback to this old photo

See less See more
^^ Nice R32, Keiichi. :p
Pretty sure it’s Capital Morgan😄
See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
here’s pictures of the carnage.
That's pretty totaled. If you get a chance, can you take some pictures inside the IMA bay? I see that the bottom aluminum cover is deformed, so I suspect there was penetration into the bay.
Update folks:

here’s pictures of the carnage. Still starts and runs, but with any rear impact the gas gauge now reads zero with a quarter tank of fuel still in it. Rear tires were dated 4019 so about three years old when I bought them, mounted them, and stored them away for future use.
Thank you for the update. The car actually
im going to venture I slipped on something I didn’t see and did the MarioKart motion from right to left.

View attachment 103260
View attachment 103258
View attachment 103259
View attachment 103257

currently sitting at copart while I get insurance to chime in. Hopefully this gets resolved soon so I can jump in the seat of another car.

View attachment 103261
Thank you for the update. I thought your car would look even worse. Tire failure sounds unlikely. It sure would be nice to know the cause. I hope the insurance settlement allows you to get back into a suitable replacement ASAP. Also, it would also be great if you are able to salvage as much of the car as is practical. Kind of tough when you are not established in the area yet.
That's pretty totaled. If you get a chance, can you take some pictures inside the IMA bay? I see that the bottom aluminum cover is deformed, so I suspect there was penetration into the bay.
Copart wouldn't allow me to disassemble anything as they supervised me on everything I took and made me document everything. I definitely want to check inside the IMA bay since that battery isn't even that old yet (3 year old BeeMax battery)

Thank you for the update. I thought your car would look even worse. Tire failure sounds unlikely. It sure would be nice to know the cause. I hope the insurance settlement allows you to get back into a suitable replacement ASAP. Also, it would also be great if you are able to salvage as much of the car as is practical. Kind of tough when you are not established in the area yet.
When it first happened it really looked bad but now up close it's not as bad. The tire was actually still intact too with decent tread. That portion of the freeway always has spinouts and other gnarly accidents after the rain. I just got lucky last Saturday and won the accident lottery.

It's been pretty tough finding the right place to salvage what I can given my short time here. I've asked numerous storage places and they wouldn't allow any sort of work to be performed on my own time.

I have my eyes open on a few that may be a good candidate for me, but they're all out of state and majority are "salt belt" in origin. I'd opt for a CVT but I'm so heavily invested in a 5 speed given how many spare transmissions and accessories I have lying around for clutch jobs and transmission swap outs.
See less See more
...That portion of the freeway always has spinouts and other gnarly accidents after the rain. I just got lucky last Saturday and won the accident lottery...
Is it on a section of road where folks typically speed up or slow down? Or is there a bump just before it? Such things coat the surface with extra oil and carbon and both tend to get very slipidy under the right conditions.
here’s pictures of the carnage
Wow that rim is shattered! From the video I was expecting to see more damage to the front of the car.

im going to venture I slipped on something I didn’t see
Did you talk to any other drivers after the accident? Maybe someone else felt a slick spot in the road too. How damaged were the other cars in the accident?

It's been pretty tough finding the right place to salvage what I can given my short time here. I've asked numerous storage places and they wouldn't allow any sort of work to be performed on my own time
Are you asking at storage lots or storage units. You could probably rent a 10x20 for a month just to get the most useful parts off of it.

I'd opt for a CVT but I'm so heavily invested in a 5 speed given how many spare transmissions and accessories I have lying around
There's a simple solution for that. You can buy a CVT and give all your 5 speed parts to me lol.
Is it on a section of road where folks typically speed up or slow down? Or is there a bump just before it? Such things coat the surface with extra oil and carbon and both tend to get very slipidy under the right conditions.
That section of HWY 90 isn't very even on the surface, so I imagine oil and water do tend to collect in potholes and other surface imperfections. It's really a combination of both. Every Saturday morning that I've travelled that way during the rain, we've either been detoured around a pileup or stuck in traffic.

Wow that rim is shattered! From the video I was expecting to see more damage to the front of the car.
That's what I'm saying! The only thing damaged in the front is one of the clips that connect the corner between the fender and bumper are gone. Otherwise, it's got the typical wear of a 500K+ car.

Did you talk to any other drivers after the accident? Maybe someone else felt a slick spot in the road too. How damaged were the other cars in the accident?
I only talked to the couple in a white 4runner that rear ended me when my car swung from right to left. She was travelling in the far left and promptly rear ended me which caused me to swing back to the right momentarily before a blue Nissan Hardbody swung me back to the left from the rear, where I collided with the center divider.

The 4runner had its hood, radiator support, and fenders caved in. It was a very square hit. The Nissan Hardbody I couldnt see because he stopped about 100 yards opposite of the shoulder my car was resting. I couldn't run across the highway to check.

Are you asking at storage lots or storage units. You could probably rent a 10x20 for a month just to get the most useful parts off of it.
I've asked both and the ones that could accommodate what I need are way out in the sticks. The ones closest to me are the places that just won't do it. I find it odd because the RVs in these lots have flat tires and cracked glass. Maybe they just had enough of people abandoning cars and whatever so they've tightened up on their policy.

There's a simple solution for that. You can buy a CVT and give all your 5 speed parts to me lol.
Lol! Nah man...I have to channel my inner ricer once in awhile. That can only be done in a 5 speed. :)
See less See more
41 - 57 of 57 Posts