Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Just joined the Insight club and couldn't be happier with my new Hybrid. I recently got a 2010 base model (so just a CD player) and figured I would install a new nav system.

I opted for an Android Radio set from Xtrons. I used the guide here to pull out the OEM unit and the Android unit was simple enough to install. This took only an hour.

I need to take it out one more time to install steering wheel controls (even though it's a base model, it for some reason has radio controls) as well as the backup camera, but I'll need to do some more research first as to what will be required for that. But for navigation and media I highly recommend this!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
He is in Europe so the models will be different. There are threads here about getting that double din plastic piece that allows those units to be installed. Here in the US there would not be an android unit, just one that would work with either Apple or Android. Most US units have a usb input that can be configured to either just charge or connect as an iPod for music/podcasts. Most include Bluetooth for both phone and music. I have seen units from Pioneer advertised for as little as $80. Only units with navigation are really expensive. You do have to buy a separate interface for steering wheel controls. I strongly recommend using wiring hardness adapters from Metra or
Scosche to make the install easy and clean. I also recommend you look up what kind to use and buying them online. Way cheaper that way.

·
Super Moderator
4,794 Posts
There ARE Android units available in the US. I recently installed one in my Miata.

Sam

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the model: te706pl (check on their website :) I would post the link but I haven't posted enough here yet, ha!)

Didn't need a DVD player or anything, but the octa-core and 4GB of ram will help it last a long while. It's comes with all the cables you will need, except those for steering controls.

It also comes with 3x USB cables. One of them is very short, meant for probably installing a USB drive that stays behind the dash (which I've done for additional storage). The other two easily reach the glove compartment and then some. My Insight didn't have the USB in the armrest, but I was able to route one of the USBs (with an extension) to there. Works flawlessly!

I also didn't buy this directly from Xtrons, but from a 3rd party and they included the Double DIN plastic frame for the Insight. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Xtrons stuff is okay.
I have their 10.1" unit. Works like a charm.
The short USB is meant to either hold a TV-stick or connect your headunit to an USB ODBII.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Android advice

The Xtrons stuff is okay.
I have their 10.1" unit. Works like a charm.
The short USB is meant to either hold a TV-stick or connect your headunit to an USB ODBII.
To all here any advice with instructions/pics etc would be fantastic as I'm going to install a head unit on a 2012 es insight (UK originally/Ireland now)and am a complete luddite,thank you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you're still active on this site/ forum and in Europe I'd appreciate an update on the android head unit you installed,is price, difficulty to install,link,more photos,etc,and would you recommend it,I've a 2012 es ( ex UK model) now in Ireland, appreciate any feedback-👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts