Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a funny little story fye:

Yesterday morning I was cleaning the road grime off my Insight's paint (using the techniques perscribed here.) Finding no more crud on the outside of my car, and having nothing else to do, I decided to check the oil and wipe the dirt out of the engine bay.

I had not checked in there for over a week, and felt it was about time. I gathered some paper towels and a rag from house and headed back to the garage. The moment I unlatched the hood, an explosion of acorns and hickory nut shells rolled off the hybrid assist module and sent themselves pinging down into the engine. :shock:

I seached the rest of the engine bay to find two more neat little piles of nuts hidden amongst the nooks and crannies.

You can imagine the perplexed expression on my face. Not everyone expects to find piles of neatly placed acorns under the hood of their high-tech hybrid car!

Realizing it must be rodents, I set several traps next to the wheels of the car. I baited them with piles of seeds and peanut butter and waited for the night.

In the morning, I returned to the garage to find the seeds gone and none of the traps sprung. Not thinking where those seeds might have gone, I hopped in my Insight, turned the key, and commenced my journey to McDonald's for a salad.

Midway down the road, I began to hear a sound like sand being kicked up by the wheels of the car. However, there was little sand that could make that noise on this particular street. Then I thought "Uh, oh!"

I stopped to check, and sure enough, it was the seeds I used to lure the mice falling out from under my car!

I wonder what the neighbors thought!

Luna

·
Registered
700 Posts
Squirrel (s). Maybe a rat.

They will chew through wires, so I suggest making sure you get rid of it somehow. It will probably requre something drastic, since once they get used to a spot, they won't leave.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I had parked my CRX for some time and was checking it out prior to putting it on the road. I found a hole in the air cleaner and the bottom of the housing filled with acorns! Pesky acorns, they try to plant themselves in the strangest places. :wink: I have a stainless steel mesh covering the air intake now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about the misspellings. I was munching an egg salad at the time of that posting. I had a temporary memory lapse to around third grade and everything started coming up eggs! :?: He, he.

Caught three of the little beasties attempting to climb into my car via the wheels. They did not make it! It turns out the first two mouse traps were improperly set.

Despite the two cars being parked side by side, the Civic remains uninfested. I never knew mice had such good taste!

Don't worry about the rodents fraying the wires. I checked them immediately after I found the nuts. I don't think they were eating the engine, just nesting there.

Luna

·
Registered
700 Posts
Luna said:
Don't worry about the rodents fraying the wires. I checked them immediately after I found the nuts. I don't think they were eating the engine, just nesting there.
Luna
They get bored just lying around in there, and eventually start gnawing on things. There is something about wiring insulation that attracts them, even thought I seriously doubt it provides any sort of nutritional value. Probably sort of like rodent chewing gum.

We also had this problem when we shipped an Accord overseas. A month or 2 later, bizarre electrical problems started. Not fun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Many rodents have teeth that never stop growing. They need to gnaw on things to wear away the teeth and keep them sharp. They'd normally prefer parts of trees, etc. but wiring will do nicely, until, of course, they hit something really hot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, then. I'll ask the mechanics at the shop to check for wire damage when I take the car in for water spot removal polishing or whatever.

Luna

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe you weren't getting your water spots from rain after all... mousey pee pee.

:lol:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hmm...
That's a disturbing image: A rodent "gang" descends on a unsuspecting Insight, with plans of gratuitious destruction in their little, tiny minds.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts