Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's on! Through the continuing generosity of Mark V. we have again been invited back to his private garage in Frederick MD for our annual Insight Maintenance Day. As anyone who has attended in the past will attest, this is perhaps the finest regional meet anywhere in the U.S. It is of such appeal that folks have come from all over the country.

Not only is the facility first rate, with a full lift and a sissors lift, but Mark is an accomplished mechanic and has tons of specialized tools for most any job. Oil changes, underneath inspections, and minor repairs and upgrades will be a snap. The socializing and car ogling if also first rate.

Perhaps the high point of the day is the great cook-out meal put on by Mark's old pit crewman Doug. Those who have been before know just how enjoyable this lunch under the shades really is, and it is included in the cost of the event. There will be plenty of vegetarian items and I'll make sure we have some veggie burgers if someone wants them. Not quite sure at the moment what the cost of the event will be, because of food inflation, but I'll work that out with Mark and Doug. As always, our objective is to make no money, but lose little either ;-)

So come see the new mods, talk the Insight tricks, talk about problems, get your fluids changed, get something fixed, get something checked out and leave having met and enjoyed new friends.

Post #2 in this thread will be a list of those who have signed up to attend. SO, come on folks, you know you want to attend this great event and meet and greet your Insight friends. Gen.2 and Gen.3 Insights certainly welcome.

• Love
Reactions: CherryBomb

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
ATTENDEE LIST for 10 Sept. Frederick, MD Insight Meet

-jime
-mudder
-Joule
-Mark V
-LowCarbon
-Benbirby+1
-Julianochos
-Cybercyne+1
-Tynow+1
-Shane M
-Cherry Bomb +1
-sean
-freezin4?
-ttsgeb
-kayvee
-weldoak

·
Registered
55 Posts
☝🤖👍
Fantastic.
Thanks for the exciting news, 'jime'!
Say - Didn't the gang do a 'bulk' 'overmoulding' removal/clip install/decay puttying/windshield vendor preorder/install session one year? Are there enough owners in this neck of the woods with pitted; cracked windscreens and water finding it's way into cars for a sequel?! 🧮:unsure::D
Kanpai! 🍶,

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,562 Posts
I am trying to rouse the North Jersey contingent.

I’m in and will be working on Geocougar and Palermo. Also, not to steal his thunder, but Acrazyjohnny just (yesterday) acquired a 5MT with 131k miles and I’ll see if he can join us. If my local mechanic is serious about acquiring my Navy Pearl, I’ll try and get him there as well.

For anyone on the fence, the chance to see LiBCM live and in person is worth the price of admission.

This was a great event last year. Try not to miss this year’s.

I’ve got a CEL with evap leak code. I have the replacement valve/solenoid. Is replacing same a minor enough repair to qualify for a “maintenance day?” If so, I’d like some lift time. I may also need to replace a couple wheel speed sensors.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Less than 600 miles away... I'll be there.
That is great. Everyone is going to be waiting to pick your brain on battery conversions, and other things too :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Say - Didn't the gang do a 'bulk' 'overmoulding' removal/clip install/decay puttying/windshield vendor preorder/install session one year? Are there enough owners in this neck of the woods with pitted; cracked windscreens and water finding it's way into cars for a sequel?! 🧮:unsure::D
Kanpai! 🍶,
Replacing windshields is a bit too much for a simple group of amateurs to attack. We can certainly do a seminar on replacing the A pillar garnish and the clips for someone's wet seatbelt, if they bring the clip set. If you wanted to make an arrangement with a local mobile shop to do the glass part that might work out.

BTW, those wishing an oil and filter change, bring your materials. Same for transmissions.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jim, add me to the list. My car has developed a rattle that is coming from under the car. I need to get it on a lift to try to find it. Also, I'll be part of the hallelujah chorus for LiBCM. :)

·
Registered
2001 Insight Manual
19 Posts
Add me to the list as well! My partner will be my +1 for the trip, so put me down for two tickets' cost, please.

Excited to see LiBCM in action, and I might take you up on that trans fluid change!

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@cyberdyne. There is certainly no reason that you couldn't make an arrangement with a local glass shop to do an on site windshield installation. You can google and find several. I'm sure there are a number of folks, including myself, who have done the A pillar garnish removal, reseal and replacement, so that won't be a problem.

Are you coming?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have wet seat belt-itis, and actually need to remove those pillars and troubleshoot the circuitry up there, and reseal the holes. If I can find a good sealing solution, I'll do it there as a demo. But... What's the best stuff to seal those holes? It's not silicon caulk - it seems that almost nothing adheres to those plastic clips for any length of time before unbonding. Perhaps there is some kind of primer that the clips (and area around the holes) can be prepped with to which some adhesive will stick better? Windshield primer and sealant comes to mind, and may work on the metal/paint, but I recall that it doesn't stick to the plastic clips once it has cured.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,562 Posts
3M 5200 is a marine sealant for above and below the waterline. You will never get it out of any clothes you get it on so . . . But it is one hell of a tenacious, waterproof sealant. Might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@cyberdyne. There is certainly no reason that you couldn't make an arrangement with a local glass shop to do an on site windshield installation. You can google and find several. I'm sure there are a number of folks, including myself, who have done the A pillar garnish removal, reseal and replacement, so that won't be a problem.

Are you coming?
Jime, that's exactly what I was considering... with Mark V's
OK (I do not know if there is space for a Glass Van?) To have a Mobile Glass tech local to that area do my and maybe 1 or 2 other Insighter's windshields. I'll look into some quotes on glass and R;R labor.

Yep... I am hoping to attend!! Look forward to meeting some of the O.G. Pros and Newer Enthusiasts!! 🖖🥳👍 I've been sort of in 'contributing lurker' mode for quite some time on the IC Forum, but am happy to announce 1st time; fairly new (February 2022) G1 ownership and hope to share my experiences / ongoing Insight projects through photo documentation and such in the weeks to come. 🔧🔩🧪🔬🔭

Cheers!,

1 - 20 of 51 Posts