Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven my car over 600 miles now. I plan to travel 200 miles tomorrow to the SC coast and then back in a few days. Any suggestions or things I need to remember while during the break-in period. Temps are over 90's and I plan to use the AC as I have a passenger (I've become so conscious of my mileage that I often just roll down the windows). I have no desire to be a speed demon but the speed limit will be 70 most of the way so I plan to do just that and no more. We won't surpass the weight limit for maximum efficiency even with luggage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Sherrisue-

My opinion is that your break-in period is basically over, so drive normally, tending toward gentle.

If you are still concerned, I would say vary your speed (more precisely, vary the load on your engine) as you drive, which is typical break-in technique. You might consider slower speeds than 70 but it probably doesn't matter.

You mentioned weight limit...I believe that limit is more for suspension operation/comfort than it is for efficiency, although of course less weight will get you more mpg.

If it makes you feel any better, I did all of my break-in driving on my VW New Beetle in one trip in '99 from Atlanta to Michigan. I varied my speed and kept around 60, but my driving partner kept it pegged at 70ish when it was her turn. Although it made me nervous at the time, the car today has 196,000 miles and doesn't burn a bit of oil.

If anyone disagrees, please post, I just thought I'd throw my opinion out there since "tomorrow" is getting closer :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Today's modern cars really don't have much a breakin period to speak of. I'd just follow the owners manual suggestions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sherrisue,
In my opinion Resit is correct -- modern cars don't have a break in period anymore per se. I drove my 05 CVT from FL (where I bought it) to NC the day after I got it and drove it just like I would any older car. That being said, I have experienced the "break in period" that some Insight (and other hybrid) drivers talk about, the car suddenly getting better mileage without change in driving style, after I hit 12000 miles on my Insight (and I owned an 03 HCH before I got my Insight and got great mileage from day one - no break in period with it) The only thing that I can think is that maybe the CVTs do have a mileage break in (for the first 12000 miles on my car I was struggling to get epa estimates, averaging around 55-56 mpg using all the tricks I know, for the last 2000 miles, I'm averaging closer to 60, and have had one tank at 65 mpg!) Go figure :)

Enjoy your trip (and hopefully we'll get to meet whenever the NC Insights get together again!)

Note: all mpgs are calculated, not display.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts