Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2000 MT with 190K miles. The car is in exceptional condition, however, I have a pretty significant clunk when the transmission is loaded (letting the clutch out from a stop in 1st gear or reverse and going from 1st to second). I really have to feather the clutch to avoid the clunk and shudder. After reading all the threads here discussing similar issues, I replaced the rear engine/transmission mount, which improved the condition a little. The other two mounts look to still be in good condition while observing the engine when loaded (in gear). I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should be looking somewhere else (front struts, driveshafts, etc.). Shifting, once the car is up to speed, is like butter between all the gears.

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
A bit of a mystery. Only thing I can think of is something associated with the exhaust. You might look at the attachment of the exhaust to the 1st catalytic. Some stuff there which might wb loose or worn.

No noise of hard second gear shifts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have you changed out the gear fluid regularly? Not saying that is what it is, just thinking if it would make that noise if low on fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vehicle is new to me in the last 2 months, so, no the gear fluid has not been changed since I've had it (it may need it, I'll check. Honestly, it sound more like either the engine and transmission are moving under load or maybe some movement in the front end suspension. Does not seem to be internal to the transmission at all. Does anybody else experience a similar noise?

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
Noises are hard when you can't see them. I'd vote for CV joints or suspension bushings.

Sam

·
Registered
2001 Honda Insight
26 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2001 MT, always after shifting out of 1st when the vehicle was under load. After months of trying to track it down, it turned out to be the two bolts that connect the upper and lower catalytic converters with that gray gasket between them. The two bolts have the springs. Somehow the cats became misaligned with each other and every time I would shift under load, it would pop making a loud clunk sound. To fix, I loosened the two bolts, lined it back up and re-tightened to 16 ft pounds. Not sure if that's your issue, but it sounded similar.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So obvious! Jime and Benjarrett called it! Both of my insights had bad gaskets probably caused from bad trans mount and if the trans mount was replaced then it stands to reason the gasket is needing replaced.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The next time you are under the car, grab an axle at the inboard side and shake up and down. Check if it make a similar sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts