Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No warranty coverage by Honda--that story is over.

So okay, I know the battery can be reconditioned. I know there is a possibility of having to replace the ECM/BCM, etc.

However, I need some straight talk on the actual PARTS required IF I potentially wanted to replace them with new stuff from Honda. Or maybe on what actually needs to be fixed, since my service guy at the dealership cannot speak in specific terms.

My fault codes are: 1447, 1449, 1600, 1601.

My dealer told me this is a complete list of the parts I would need to buy if I chose to do repair:
Battery Control Module
Electronic Control Module
The 100 amp fuse

What is suspiciously missing from this list is the BATTERY. The BCM and the big battery pack are two separate things, right? I have Honda part numbers written down for all three of these (left them at work) and the # for the battery is different.

Can someone provide more complete info than that?

In the meantime, driving around today, after two months of IMA/CEL and Brake/12v lit up on my dash and no charge/assist, everything disappeared today and my big battery pack began charging, just like that, as if nothing had ever happened. ????

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Can someone provide more complete info than that?
complete ... no... you are free to read this whole forum and the service manuals if you want complete ;)

The Battery itself is Honda OEM Part # 1D010PHM999RM... just one part number for just the battery module.

??? why open a new thread ???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the dealership did not note the actual battery as a part I need, and I suspected otherwise, hoping someone could confirm.

Also, because you referred to the battery as the "battery module" and cited the part number you have there. I guess I am looking for clarification. Because THIS part # is the one I was given for something called the "Battery Control Module": 1K100-PHM-A01 If the "Battery Module" and "Battery Control Module" are the same thing, why are there two part numbers?

Do I need these TWO things: the "Battery Module" and the "Battery Control Module"? And, is there ever a situation in which the fault codes I mentioned would show, and yet a "Battery Module" is not needed?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
....yes .

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Because the dealership did not note the actual battery as a part I need, and I suspected otherwise, hoping someone could confirm.

Also, because you referred to the battery as the "battery module" and cited the part number you have there. I guess I am looking for clarification. Because THIS part # is the one I was given for something called the "Battery Control Module": 1K100-PHM-A01 If the "Battery Module" and "Battery Control Module" are the same thing, why are there two part numbers?

Do I need these TWO things: the "Battery Module" and the "Battery Control Module"? And, is there ever a situation in which the fault codes I mentioned would show, and yet a "Battery Module" is not needed?
Okay, look at this picture http://www.ronaldhansen.com/ima/other/packwhack/picture 068.jpg

The silver box on the left is the BCM (Battery Control Module). The silver bos on the right is the MCM (Motor Control Module). The thing underneath them is the Battery Module which we normally call "the battery pack". Here is another picture of a battery pack with the control modules removed: http://www.ronaldhansen.com/ima/img_5170.jpg

Now the 100 amp fuse is IN the battery pack. It is the copper thing in the exact center of this picture http://www.ronaldhansen.com/ima/img_5175.jpg

The P1447 and P1449 errors are because the individual battery cells inside the battery pack have become degraded and because they are overheating when charging.

I don't know what P1600 and P1601 are. Most car manufacturers use the same codes and a P1600 on a Jeep is an overvoltage detected at the ECM (Engine Control Module). This could be because the ECM is bad, or because the BCM is sending it bad voltages. The fact that they are telling you you need both suggests that they don't know which one is and and simply want to replace them both. I don't know why they would tell you that you need a new 100amp fuse, as it comes with the battery module, and if it was blown, you wouldn't be getting the P1447 and P1449 errors. In any event, it is easily replaceable (danger-high voltage).

Now, costs:

a BCM/MCM pair is about $200 from a junkyard. They are a matched pair and there have been MANY different versions, so assume you have to get both and make sue you get MT (or CVT) versions to match your transmission. They are solid state and don't wear out, so there is no risk in getting junkyard controllers.

The ECM is under $100 (if you look) but will require a trip to the dealer to reprogram your keys.

If something is actually wrong with the electronic components of your battery pack, then a replacement can be gotten from a junkyard for about $600 but it WILL need to be rebuilt (90%+ likelyhood). The good news is that you could have it rebuilt for a discount by trading in your battery pack also.

I would this if you cannot get a straight answer about what the 1600 and 1601 are:

Replace your BCM and MCM. and see if the P1600 and 1601 errors go away. If so, have your battery pack rebuilt and you're done. If not, then replace your ECM.

These are simple modules to replace, and you should not have much trouble doing so. If you're concerned about the complexity, any mechanic can do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts