Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I just drove home my 2000 Insight from Phoenix on tuesday. I LOVE it!

Seems to be in great shape, the previous owners most recent and best tank was 77.3mpg.

Now I know I'll need several tanks full to really learn how to drive efficiently but I am concerned about power and mileage figures. It has 113k and a lifetime average of 65mpg (sure beats the 9.8 figure I'm used to :shock: ) so it sounds healthy, right?

The tank it was on when I bought her was averaging 69.2 but my 370 mile drive home to San Diego in the desert heat at 70+mph with AC brought that figure down to about 60. This much I expected, I just wanted to get home fast and not drown my new baby's seats in sweat.

What concerns me is: how much power should Insights have on the highway? I have no problem accelerating to freeway speed but I seem to have to use too much gas/battery to keep the speed relatively constant in 5th gear, even w/o AC and at 65mph when going up even a mild incline. Is this normal?

Also, I see that the maintenence schedule recomends valve timing check at about this mileage and the car seems to have a mild knock while warming up. Could this be a serious problem?

Last Q (for now) I use a solar panel from a VW dealership that plugs into the cigarette lighter on my boat to keep the battery charged when not in use. Can this be used on the Insights system too? If it can it would be great for SoCal owners.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Congradulations on purchasing an Insight, and welcome to the forum.

If it is time for an oil change try using 0W30 synthetic. This may help the engine run quieter. I use it and it does not seem to have a significant effect on mileage. Adjusting the valves is a good idea and may also help noise wise, or this may be caused by piston slap.

Any one of the many available solar panels will work on your car provided they can be connected to the 12 volt system in the car. I can't remeber if the Insight disconnects the auxiliary power outlet when the key is turned off. You'll have to check. This will only charge the 12 volt battery but will prevent it from going dead if you have the car parked for some time. Never hurts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the Insight clan.

I too live in SD.

I have a 2006 MT which I picked up late February. The 12V plug on mine disconnects without the key. But as stated this connects to the small 12V battery under the hood. Once you get used to this site you may find the thread about charging the 144V batteries using various methods. The bottom line on this is don't.

About the Insights power. My last car, a 1989 SAAB, had about 17 pounds per hourse power. The Insight, as I remember, has about 25. If you try to keep the speed constant (the first thing I did to my car was install a cruse controll) you will be using the assist a lot and not get the best MPG.

I drive too fast, up 805 at more than 65 starting in Mission Valley, and ony getting about 54 MPG per tank. If I drive slower and let the speed fall going up hill the MPG soars.

Good luck and best wishes,

Frank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kip and Frank.

I just figured how to reset the trip odometer and was MUCH more aware of my mpg changes on a fresh trip. I did about 30 miles of mixed freeway and friday local Mission Valley traffic (Frank understands :evil: ) and got 63.2 which seems pretty good to me.

It's amazing how my mind is starting to wrap around the concept of coasting, maintaining momentum and not rushing to the next red light. This is from an ex New Yorker who just completed repeat offender 16 hr traffic school and often drives at upwards of 140 mph....

Next question; is the consensus to stay with the OEM Bridgestones (mine are at the wear limits) and keep them about 50psi? The local Firestone shop will match the Tireracks rate of $55 each. Thanks, Vic

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
If you want good mileage you will have to stick with the OEM tires. It sounds like you are getting an exellent price on them. Absolutely change them if they are that worn! The rubber on these tires is quite hard and does not have the same grip as many other types so you will want all the tread you can get. They will probably save you around 40 dollars a year in gas, so they almost pay for themselves at the price you have been quoted.

140 MPH is best done in an aeroplane. Many Insight owners have reported significant changes in their driving habits. That is....driving for mileage and what's key, enjoying it. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Me too.

I too, maybe like dc4all, used to have my own chair in traffic school, and let's leave it at that. But with such a low acceleration and hard rubber it is hard to be very agressive.

Frank.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bipolar driving personality

Yeah, my driving style HAS changed: I'm kinda like a mileage obsessed OCD patient on Prozac.

"Gotta get in LEAN BURN- Yeah baby!!...FREAKIN' hills...oh good, someone slower than me, yey!...uh oh didn't time that light right..."

:roll:

Vic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts