Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like many others writing on this forum, I had decided to dip my toe in the G1 waters (newbie alert). Despite warnings from seasoned G1 veterans to tread carefully I went ahead and jumped in headfirst. A local offering (65 miles from my house) in the form of a 2001 MT with 168k on the clock that needed help, lots of help. It was one of those it's too good for a parts car but needed a lot of sweat equity to sort out. I have a small well equipped heated shop and many years of tinkering to give me a false sense of security so why not!

We'll start with the good:

Hand-written service records from new to 147k were in the glove box. Up to 147k the car had been very well treated, the next 21k I think not so much.
Despite having been sitting for 8 months, with a jump the engine started right up and sounded healthy, trans shifted good up and down, good clutch, brakes worked.
The body was in really good shape only a couple of very small dings in the roof panel and the paint looked promising.
A working cruise control, armrest, and block heater. Everything seemed to be in working order other than all those lights lit up on the dash.
From a previous owner new pads and rotors at 137k, new plugs at 135k, the only HV battery record shown was a reconditioned Honda replacement @ 67,000.
All the glass was good.
I discovered today my gravel bike easily fits inside the back, with this my interest in this project went up exponentially.

The not so good:

ABS light on, codes were for both rear speed sensors (cleaned both and fixed the broken wires to one to clear the codes).
IMA light on, P1449 (78) a diy grid charger/discharger along with good pointers from eq1 cleared the code. The battery now gives full assist on hills with no recall or faults so maybe?
CEL light on, NTK O2 sensor fixed it, the lower O2 looked newish the upper was old and tired.
The tires were just skins and the OEM wheels and caps had a cheap poorly applied black rattle can coat, no prep was done so the paint came off easily. (The car also came with 4 good mounted snows).
Herky jerkys, cleaned the EGR plate, which helped some, dissembled and cleaned the EGR pot this got it to 92% good, a new 4F1890 EGR finished the job.
Broken trans mount, fitted new insert to fix.
Very noisy left front wheel bearing installed new bearing to fix.
The ac compressor front pulley, clutch, and pull-in coil had gone missing, the compressor was good but incomplete. I bought a low miles used complete compressor on the bay, a new condenser, belt, smooth idler, and receiver/dryer got it back up. Very impressive performance from the AC and when on it doesn't seem to affect engine performance that much.
The previous, previous owner worked at a rock quarry and the car was mega dirty, rock dust mud was packed into everything. I gutted most of the interior included all the carpets to give them a serious scrub and spent time under the car with a garden hose and nozzle flushing out a river of muddy water, also under the cowl.
The passenger side front engine under tray is somewhere, most likely on the side of a gravel road in rural Iowa. I made a new one from galvanized sheet metal but it seems to transfer quite a bit of noise so I'm going to have to find a used OEM one.
The 2 year old 12v battery had a dead cell, I installed a new Deka 11U1L.

Other stuff:
Valves adjusted, all fluids changed, new cabin filter, and Fomoto valve installed.
New tires and labor to mount and balance plus all the other parts and fluids came to $1,150, my labor is free of course.

If someone had bought this car and paid labor for all the fixes, clean up, and detailing they would have to start getting real familiar with the term, up-side-down. I'm not a collector I just want a clean driver, seems to be working out so far.

Tim
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Like many others writing on this forum, I had decided to dip my toe in the G1 waters (newbie alert). Despite warnings from seasoned G1 veterans to tread carefully I went ahead and jumped in headfirst. A local offering (65 miles from my house) in the form of a 2001 MT with 168k on the clock that needed help, lots of help. It was one of those it's too good for a parts car and but needed a lot of sweat equity to sort out. I have a small well equipped heated shop and many years of tinkering to give me a false sense of security so why not!

Tim View attachment 92349
Looks like new. You'll like this car.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I’m hoping all the flood damaged Louisiana cars get saved for body panels, etc.

been watching auctions but not seeing much

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
Congratulations. You seem to have skills and that is what a rescue case needs most. I think you will like the car, and there is plenty of help here :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Like many others writing on this forum, I had decided to dip my toe in the G1 waters (newbie alert). Despite warnings from seasoned G1 veterans to tread carefully I went ahead and jumped in headfirst. A local offering (65 miles from my house) in the form of a 2001 MT with 168k on the clock that needed help, lots of help. It was one of those it's too good for a parts car and but needed a lot of sweat equity to sort out. I have a small well equipped heated shop and many years of tinkering to give me a false sense of security so why not!

Hand-written service records from new to 147k were in the glove box. Up to 147k the car had been very well treated, the next 21k I think not so much.
Despite having been sitting for 8 months, with a jump the engine started right up and sounded healthy, trans shifted good up and down, good clutch, brakes worked.
The body was in really good shape only a couple of very small dings in the roof panel and the paint looked promising.
A working cruise control, armrest, and block heater. Everything seemed to be in working order other than all those lights lit up on the dash.
From a previous owner new pads and rotors at 137k, new plugs at 135k, the only HV battery record shown was a reconditioned Honda replacement @ 67,000.
All the glass was good.
I discovered today my gravel bike easily fits inside the back, with this my interest in this project went up exponentially.

The not so good:

ABS light on, codes were for both rear speed sensors (cleaned both and fixed the broken wires to one to clear the codes).
IMA light on, P1449 (78) a diy grid charger/discharger along with good pointers from eq1 cleared the code. The battery now gives full assist on hills with no recall or faults so maybe?
CEL light on, NTK O2 sensor fixed it, the lower O2 looked newish the upper was old and tired.
The tires were just skins and the OEM wheels and caps had a cheap poorly applied black rattle can coat, no prep was done so the paint came off easily. (The car also came with 4 good mounted snows).
Herky jerkys, cleaned the EGR plate, which helped some, dissembled and cleaned the EGR pot this got it to 92% good, a new 4F1890 EGR finished the job.
The ac compressor front pulley, clutch, and pull-in coil had gone missing, the compressor was good but incomplete. I bought a low miles used complete compressor on the bay, a new condenser, belt, smooth idler, and receiver/dryer got it back up. Very impressive performance from the AC and when on it doesn't seem to affect engine performance that much.
The previous, previous owner worked at a rock quarry and the car was mega dirty, rock dust mud was packed into everything. I gutted most of the interior included all the carpets to give them a serious scrub and spent time under the car with a garden hose and nozzle flushing out a river of muddy water, also under the cowl.
The passenger side front engine under tray is somewhere, most likely on the side of a gravel road in rural Iowa. I made a new one from galvanized sheet metal but it seems to transfer quite a bit of noise so I'm going to have to find a used OEM one.

Other stuff:
Valves adjusted, all fluids changed, new cabin filter, and Fomoto valve installed.
New tires and labor to mount and balance plus all the other parts and fluids came to $1,150, my labor is free of course.

If someone had bought this car and paid labor for all the fixes, clean up, and detailing they would have to start getting real familiar with the term, up-side-down. I'm not a collector I just want a clean driver, seems to be working out so far.

Tim
View attachment 92347
View attachment 92348
View attachment 92349

All the glass was good.

The not so good:

Other stuff:

Tim
View attachment 92347
View attachment 92348
View attachment 92349
Wow, she looks beautiful. So nice to see such appreciation

All the glass was good.

The not so good:

Other stuff:

Tim
View attachment 92347
View attachment 92348
View attachment 92349
Wow, she looks beautiful. So nice to see such appreciation for our very unique cars. I hope you find much enjoyment owning the G1.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tim,

That's an impressive labor of love. I agree: if your labor wasn't so cheaply available to you, you could have easily ended up underwater. Instead you're tooling around in an envy-me car.

My labor, just as cheap as yours but by no means in demand anywhere at that price, is directed to fixing the latest thing to break in an effort to buy a few more months before the next one breaks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tim,

Sounds like you’re the perfect G1 Insight owner. Obviously you know how to troubleshoot, investigate codes, and make mechanical repairs.

Great to see another Insight resuscitated!!

👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like many others writing on this forum, I had decided to dip my toe in the G1 waters (newbie alert). Despite warnings from seasoned G1 veterans to tread carefully I went ahead and jumped in headfirst. A local offering (65 miles from my house) in the form of a 2001 MT with 168k on the clock that needed help, lots of help. It was one of those it's too good for a parts car but needed a lot of sweat equity to sort out. I have a small well equipped heated shop and many years of tinkering to give me a false sense of security so why not!

All the glass was good.

The not so good:

Other stuff:

Tim
View attachment 92347
View attachment 92348
View attachment 92349
congratulations on owning a very nice car!! Like you, I wouldn't buy my 2000 MT in 2002 unless my road bike fit in the back, which it did very nicely. Still have my little red Insight, now 21 yrs old, 234,000 miles, and running on mostly original equipment. Did have to replace the starter last year. Lifetime MPG is 97.2. Have replaced the IMA battery with one from Bumblebee twice. Love my little red car!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
@Bikee
You’re a long time owner!! You didn’t join IC until recently though…. Many G1 enthusiasts join IC before actually buying one. It’s great to see these G1 Gems rescued, preserved and maintained! 👌

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Lifetime MPG 97.2?!

Wow, do you drive 35 mph everywhere?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,541 Posts
Ref. Bikee:
He has to go uphill sooner or later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts