Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. My pass side gave up the ghost this morn. Snapped under that stupid rubber damper. As you can imagine im rather peeved about it. My first question is who on here sells parts? I know some part out now and then, but I know a few sell lots of stuff. I just cant recall who. Second. Can that damper be removed? Is it really necessary to have?

·
3,641 Posts
I just recently read some debate about whether the rubber dampened is doing anything or not. There are people running their cars without it. Part of the discussion was about questioning the actual merit of the part. Does it help reduce torque steer, or vibrations etc? Removing the dampener helps eliminate the rust harboring patch under it. Brent should fix you up...you can probably receive it in a couple of days from NW Ohio.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
OEMs use all sorts of dampers and weights to try and reduce specific harmonics. For example, the 2nd gen RX-7 has a random block of rubber sticking out off of an arm which itself sticks out of the differential mount. It weighs about 2 LBs, so certainly Mazda thought it necessary to have it there to reduce some sort of resonance.

Now, whether these are necessary or not is always up for debate. Many cars on the road have these devices removed by "helpful" (lazy!) mechanics during service work and never reinstalled. Another large number of vehicles have simply had these dampers fall off due to wear. And yet they operate fine. It is possible that under some circumstances there may be just the right range of harmonics which will cause a vibration. But would you even notice, and would you even consider it anything but a terrible road?

As I'm waiting for a replacement axle, I am debating whether to remove the damper. My plan is to media blast the axle and coat it with POR-15. If I can save the damper during this process (it will need to be slid down to the far end of the shaft, then slid back into place afterwards) then yay. If not, I won't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the names!! Ill be jotting those down for perm reference. I have looked into finding one-napa seems to be the only ones that carry it (well, the picture is correct anyway) for $90 after core return. Its a reman-the whole thing. We shall see though. Ive had some questionable reman parts in the past from places.
Im thinking the resonance thing is prob correct. Would i notice? maybe, but doubt it. Our roads are horrible. In fact, i think we have crews work at night installing new pot holes to fix those dreaded smooth spots on the road lol.
N4S. Yep, It snapped downtown-47th & cicero during the morn rush. Would you believe that eds rental argued with me and wouldnt rent me a tow dolly saying my Odyssey cant tow this car!?

Now this is just a wild question-but would it work. When i got home and calmed down some i got to thinking. We have a "open diff" in our cars. power is transmitted to the wheel that has least resistance. Now, what if you could jam or hold that snapped shaft from spinning? Like clamp or vice grip it so it cant move/turn? That would cause the diff to turn the other (good shaft) to turn and drive correct? Im half tempted to try it in my driveway just to see.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ guess i can remove those to save weight (0.00000002 mpg!). Rap will get a person tossed from my car! hahah

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
thx for the names!! Ill be jotting those down for perm reference. I have looked into finding one-napa seems to be the only ones that carry it (well, the picture is correct anyway) for $90 after core return. Its a reman-the whole thing. We shall see though. Ive had some questionable reman parts in the past from places.
If it is the Cardone part, be aware that it doesn't exist. There is a part number in the system, and many vendors list it, but it is unavailable. I called around for over a day, as did my local Honda dealer. Every lead turned out to be false and every vendor listing the Cardone part number said that they were special order or unavailable with no ETA. Part doesn't exist.

Don't worry about reman CV axles. Standard item to be remanufactured.

Now this is just a wild question-but would it work. When i got home and calmed down some i got to thinking. We have a "open diff" in our cars. power is transmitted to the wheel that has least resistance. Now, what if you could jam or hold that snapped shaft from spinning? Like clamp or vice grip it so it cant move/turn? That would cause the diff to turn the other (good shaft) to turn and drive correct? Im half tempted to try it in my driveway just to see.
For a very short distance like in and out of the driveway, yes. As long as the clamp is secure and safe. However the spider gears in the differential do not have bearings. They are not designed to turn long term. Therefore this would not be suitable for anything other than in and out of the driveway. You also run the risk of the stub shaft popping out of the transmission as it is no longer supported on the other end. That would be bad. In the process you'd likely tear up the splines in the diff.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I came up with the same dead ends-everybody lists the part-nobody can get it. I refuse to pay $600 for a shaft from honda (majestic ect). So yeah, ill get a used one on here. The fact that this will happen again one day bothers me though. Yes, paint will help, but Im thinking something permanent (never go bad). I think its time to put the lathe to good use this winter ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
That may be a stock photo and not a photo of the Insight part, I would call the 800 number and find out.
Otherwise Oreilley is showing one available for the pass side of a 2000
Search for 'cv half shaft / axle shaft' - 2000 Honda Insight | O'Reilly Auto Parts
$70.99 Each
Plus Core $39.00
Call for
availability
Otherwise call masterpro and see if they can rebuild yours

MasterPro® CV - CV Axle Shaft

Part Number: 60-4245
Line: MPV

• 1 year limited warranty
  • UPC: 82617922616
  • Remanufactured
  • Front Right
  • Manual Transmission
  • 5 Speed Transmission
  • Obsolete
  • Remanufactured
  • Length (In): 23 Inch

Detailed Description

100% Neoprene boots ensure excellent ozone resistance, which eliminates cracking, a leading cause of boot failure. High quality grease withstands high-temperature and pressure extremes, which extends joint life. Splines are chased 100% to ensure proper fit of axle into the mating hub and transmission, which eliminates installation hassles. Threads are chased 100% to ensure proper fit when axle nut is installed. High-tech grinding machines maintain the original design of the outer housing, race and cage to guarantee reliable performance. Boot clamps are pneumatically crimped creating a perfect seal between the boot and housing.

Additional Details

• Axle Nut Hex Size (mm): 32mm
  • Axle Nut Thread Size: M22X1.50
  • Boot Material: Neoprene
  • Inboard Joint Type: Female
  • Number Of Inboard Splines: 25
  • Number Of Outboard Splines: 23
  • Outboard Joint Type: Male
  • ABS Ring Tooth Count: 50
  • Axle Nut Head Type: Flanged Hex Head
  • Measurement Type: Compressed
  • Axle Nut Included: Yes
  • Axle Nut Height (mm): 20.5mm
  • Axle Nut Locking Type: Stake
Brand Information

MasterPro's CV Half Shaft/Axle Shaft are manufactured to meet or exceed O.E. form, fit, and function. 100% Neoprene boots ensure excellent ozone resistance, which eliminates cracking, a leading cause of boot failure. Boot clamps are pneumatically crimped creating a perfect seal between the boot and housing. High quality grease withstands high-temperature and pressure extremes, which extends joint life. High-tech grinding machines maintain the original design of the outer housing, race and cage to guarantee reliable performance. Splines are chased 100% to ensure proper fit of axle into the mating hub and transmission, which eliminates installation hassles. Threads are chased 100% to ensure proper fit when axle nut is installed.

Manufacturer Information

MasterPro remanufactured CV shafts are TS-16949 certified, which means every product is built with the same quality systems as original equipment manufacturers. Many times, MasterPro's advanced remanufacturing processes improve upon original products, not just replace components as needed. Original weaknesses are pinpointed and strengthened, making the product better than new.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I came up with the same dead ends-everybody lists the part-nobody can get it. I refuse to pay $600 for a shaft from honda (majestic ect). So yeah, ill get a used one on here. The fact that this will happen again one day bothers me though. Yes, paint will help, but Im thinking something permanent (never go bad). I think its time to put the lathe to good use this winter ;)
Remove the rubber damper and it won't be an issue. The replacement axle I got from Halo Select had the damper almost totally broken off, so while I didn't have time to remove the damper last night when I swapped in the axle (I got to my shop late after being called out of town in the afternoon...which of course ran long) I will be doing so very soon. That will prevent the salt/water from being concentrated in that area. I had also planned to POR-15 the axle but didn't have time to do it properly (media blast, then 3 coats over 3 days) because I just wanted this whole process over after 3 weeks of driving a rental car.

Funny you should mention machining an axle because I was about 2 minutes away from calling the machine shop I work with and having them begin machining a new shaft. After not having an update from Halo Select for 4 days after I paid I was starting to get worried so I called the machine shop up and put them on notice that I may need a shaft turned and broached, with a snap ring grooves added to each end. Thankfully I didn't have to because Halo Select finally sent a tracking number but honestly it would probably not have cost more than the local Honda dealer wanted ($1100) for an axle I would have to wait into September for.

I guess on the plus side I now have a spare set of good Insight CV joints and boots.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im still going to explore the machining this winter when I have the time. I can turn the shaft dia rather fast. The splines will be the time killer. Right now Im just pondering what steel Id like to use. Stainless is nice, but each has its own issues. I want something I can use thats reliable and cost effective-especially if I decide its worth it to "mass market" these things

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You may not even have to turn whole shaft. The stock OD is 3/4" but I can't see how that is critical. Just getting some bar stock 1/8" or so thicker will give plenty of room to machine the splines and then you only need to turn down the ends, make the groove for the boots, and turn the groove for the snap rings.

The splines are probably best done by a machine shop on a broaching machine. It's a standard operation as I'm sure you know so it wouldn't be that great a cost. Once you weigh the time it would take to jig it up and cut all those splines, the machine shop seems like a good option. :)

As for material, chromoly may be the best choice if you don't intend on further heat treating it. Has enough twist to not shatter (remember, the axle may twist 50% of the way under hard throttle) but not brutal to machine. There's also the stock option of case hardened steel but of course you'd want to harden after machining then revisit the machines to make sure the dimensions didn't walk too much.

I don't think stainless would be a very good choice. Almost all grades are very brittle and you'd have to oversize the shaft considerably. It work hardens easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Insight Drive Axle 60-4245

Just wanted to post my experience with this... Beware of online stores that claim to have the part and an estimated ship date of 7-10 days later. I can't wait til April 28th to be able to drive my car - which is much later than 7-10 days from when I placed the order!

I just can't give up this car, and I can't pay $500 for a dealer part. Keeping my fingers crossed that Canada can ship my part next week like they promise...

Anyway, I guess it's not a bad idea to start buying up parts we might need so we're not stuck...

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Make this is something you can do to speed up it going through customs? I use to order parts for my geo metro from 3tech in Canada and things got held up in customs all the time. at least I didnt have to pay any additional fees. Most the stuff I get from China they mark as gift, sample, etc.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Canada can ship my part next week like they promise...

·
Registered
54 Posts
prevention

I'm seeing more and more reports of snapped axles on here. Any suggestions on preventative measures to keep the axles in good shape? sand/paint/rust preventer?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts