Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,686 Posts
It seems like they are snapping due to salt corrision at the rubber buffer thing..
I think Aaron is on to the solution.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm seeing more and more reports of snapped axles on here. Any suggestions on preventative measures to keep the axles in good shape? sand/paint/rust preventer?
Remove the rubber damper. If there is any corrosion underneath (if you drive near salt, there will be) you then have to judge whether it warrants replacing the axle. And remove the rubber damper on the new axle. The damper is what traps moisture and salt which corrodes it quickly.

If your existing axle is in good shape then strip off all the corrosion (media blast, or a bunch of work with a wire wheel) and paint using something like an epoxy primer and coat or (my favourite) POR-15.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Aftermarket axle IS available

Resurrecting this thread because I snapped my passenger side axle (actually my girlfriend snapped the axle as I was trying to teach her to drive stick, but I don't blame her, the axle was rusted and weak underneath the damper as is typical).

I ordered an aftermarket/chinese axle from partsgeek dot com for about $70 shipped and then read this thread and got paranoid that it wouldn't show up. But it showed up two days later (even though I only paid for standard shipping), and looks and fits perfectly fine. It is completely new manufacture, not re-manufactured. The swap took about and hour and half and I'm up and running.

The part is a "Trakmotive" HO-8446. It seems to be marketed under different brand names but mine does say "Trakmotive" on the box. It actually looks sturdier than the Honda one, the axle is a little thicker. I'm guessing it is made by them mixing together "standard parts" (i.e. Civic parts) to get the correct length, splines, etc. It's missing the vibration damper but no loss there.

I've got a photo showing the differences but I'm having trouble uploading, will update later when I get to a proper internet. Point is, the part is the real deal and might actually be sturdier than the OEM Honda.

Here is the photo:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had it snap on me due to corrosion as commonly see in the photo above. So I had it replaced, the replacement doesn't have the damper. After 6 month now I am starting to hear noise at low gear. It happens when slowing down not turning.. Sounds like some bearing noise cv joint?. do you think I need replace anything? Thanks

·
3,641 Posts
I've had it snap on me due to corrosion as commonly see in the photo above. So I had it replaced, the replacement doesn't have the damper. After 6 month now I am starting to hear noise at low gear. It happens when slowing down not turning.. Sounds like some bearing noise cv joint?. do you think I need replace anything? Thanks

I think they made a mistake with install. Scott did a demo on it at Insight Fest. Ask him for details, but from what i remember, one of the bearing(s) pop out of the output shaft bearing (iirc).
Hopefully you got some sort of warranty.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts