Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The antenna cracked off after hitting a hard object. The base of antenna was not damaged. The antenna is designed to simply unscrew from the base, but the male end of the antenna cracked off inside the base. Anybody have an idea how to get the broken off "screw" out of the base nut?

I really do not want to remove the headliner and replace the base.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Pair of pliers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
as mentioned, pliers

If they don't have enough grip, vise grips to start.
If there isn't enough protruding to grip, bolt extractor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The screw from the antenna broke off insight the nut, and none of the screw is sticking out of the nut. So there is nothing to grab with the pliers. I tried an screw extractor, but didn't have it centered right and it would not pull out the broken off screw. Now I have an mess of metal shavings. What to do next?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Drill a tiny hole through the center of the bolt, ram a square sided piercer in and unscrew the bolt end...
Apply a drop of thin oil. Make sure you do not extend the hole beyond the bolt end.
If it does not come out then gradually increase the diameter of the hole until you can screw the new antenna in :)

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
How much of the threaded section was left on the antenna? Here is a picture of the replacement antenna. Hope it helps you determine how much remains in your base.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
The screw from the antenna broke off insight the nut, and none of the screw is sticking out of the nut. So there is nothing to grab with the pliers. I tried an screw extractor, but didn't have it centered right and it would not pull out the broken off screw. Now I have an mess of metal shavings. What to do next?
Maybe hog out the hole with a Dremel and try a different EZ-out. Maybe try turning it with a hammer and small punch. There shouldn't be much force on it. Maybe try grinding the whole thing away with the Dremel and then running a tap down in there to restore the threads.

Sam

·
Registered
623 Posts
yes! as mentioned above, E Z OUTS ... maybe start it off with a small pilot drill bit right into the center of the broken off bit and then ez out the rest of it

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
Too late. He already drilled the hole off-center and it sounds like the EZ-out is trying to grab the threads.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,786 Posts
Maybe someone close by can assist. (Somewhere in the USA)
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Willie

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
...and why not post a picture too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts