Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a volunteer at an LPFM low power radio station, so I do listen to radio. I swapped out the stock radio in my '02 for another one someone gave me. The radio reception is a little better but still not as good as my wife's '03 subaru ... but then I put the Insight stock radio into my '90 Ford F250, with the old fashioned stick antenna mounted in the steel fender. Reception is better on the old stock insight radio running in the truck than it had been in the Insight. Makes me wonder about the Insight antenna system. Any ideas, modifications on this?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I believe that the Insight antenna has an RF amplifier built into its base. It may not be receiving power, or it may be non-functional. The problem is that you need to take out the headliner to get to it to fix it.

I am thinking of cutting a hole in my headliner to make an access door for the antenna.

I took my antenna off and have replaced it with an NMO style mount for a ham radio antenna. But I still want to listen to the radio so I'm adding a glass-mount scanner antenna near the top of the rear hatch. I tested this and the performance is rougher equal to the stock antenna - better on some stations and worse on others. It will block the rear washer a bit, though. The scanner antenna is longer and does not have an amplifier. I'm thinking of adding one. We shall see how that goes. I actually have a way to measure the performance of each, but I'm currently running short on round tuits.

<EDIT> Back to the stock antenna for a minute, there is also a chance of a break in the antenna itself. You should be able to unscrew the antenna from the black base that is mounted on the roof. You can then try running a wire to the base. Perhaps hang the wire from a tree branch over the Insight and temporarily connect it. It also could be that the antenna in the truck is longer which is going to help the signal strength.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts