Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 insight. I received a message that I need to change my antifreeze. The owners manual said to use Honda antifreeze. Can I use a different antifreeze other than Honda? It also said I have to get it flushed. I called the dealer and they said that's not true. What do I do?

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
I'm not big on changing coolant, "Just Cuz". If it's still nice and blue I'd personally leave it alone. I only use Honda stuff in my G1, but I don't know if the G2 cares. I would certainly flush it if I was going to use something else, or if it didn't still look clear. But I can't think of any reason to use something else. Save a few bucks? Shrug. What would it cost if the cheap stuff damages something?

Who sent you this message? The car, the dealer, or somebody else? What does the owner's manual say about change intervals?

Sam

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
The dealer said "that's not true."
What?.......about using Honda antifreeze or flushing or both?
Most of the labels I've read on the bottles now days says "safe for ALL aluminum engines".

Reckon it all boils down to "color" preference.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply Rainsux.. the message came from the maintenance reminder on the car. I looked it up in owners manual and it said to get it flushed.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The manual says "replace" nothing about flushing. The real Honda coolant is long life and should not be mixed with other cheaper product. It would be far better to leave it alone than to drain that stuff out and replace it with whatever from the local auto parts store. How many miles on this 2012 Insight? It is only 3 years old. So to have that #5 come onto the MID you have to be putting on some serious miles. That number should not come up until you are to at least 120k. In older Honda manuals for other models using the same coolant, it would say to replace it at 120k or 10 years if you do not reach 120k by then. So my opinion is to drain and refill with the right stuff, or just leave it alone.

Now being at 3 years it would be prudent to replace the brake fluid. Once again, with actual Honda fluid or stuff that meets spec and probably costs about as much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts