Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - this is my first experience in a forum but here goes...

I live in the Atlanta area and Honda dealers here tell me there are no new Insights available in the entire Southeastern US and they cannot be ordered. I spent about 4 hours searching the net for one with no luck. I'm willing to travel the US to obtain a new one. Does anyone know where any are still available or suggest how to search for one? I'm particularly looking for 2005 manual with A/C (it's hot in the south).

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 or 3 in the NW

Just asked local dealer 2 days ago and he said that there was 1 w/o Air and 2 with air in the WA, OR, ID region. The dealer is Stirling Honda in Longview, WA and the contact is Dennis Eddy. He was quoting MSRP prices - no markups that I could discern.

It's a long way to go to get one for you. I'm doing the opposite - found a 2004 with low miles in Rochester, NY that I'll be driving back next week.

Good luck!

Will

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do a search on http://www.autotrader.com. There are several in the Florida area, but it doesn't say if they are manual or CVT.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Vandergriff Honda in Arlington Texas has an 05 CVT on ebay but they added some ridiculous add ons to jack the MSRP up to 24k so I don't know how realistic they are in their sales price. However, if you purchase something from another state I've had good luck using Car On a Truck Transport. Their fee usually ranges $600-$700 and you can recieve a quote in about one minute on their website.

·
Registered
223 Posts
While I was checking on staus of the 2 civic hybryds I ordered for pool vehicles at work I inquired with My dealer contact and he stated they have 2 Insights on their lot now both are CVT, Red and a Blue. The dealer is Pacific Honda in San Diego, CA. phone 858-694-1055

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I'm finding a few automatics around, even in my area, but no manual transmissions (my preference). Still looking...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are You Still Looking ?????

mbarrett said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm finding a few automatics around, even in my area, but no manual transmissions (my preference). Still looking...
"mbarrett"; are you still looking for a new "2005" Insight ?

If so check out my posting on Thread, (New or Used Insight) page two by
tiger.

If you require additional info. post here and I will get back to you after test driving vehicle.

regards
terry, Tiger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New or Used Insight - where?

I don't see a section on this web site called "New or Used Insight". Can someone please help direct me? This discussion stuff is still new to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: New or Used Insight - where?

mbarrett said:
I don't see a section on this web site called "New or Used Insight". Can someone please help direct me? This discussion stuff is still new to me.
"News-Flash" for all Insight owners that are interested.

mbarrett, Purchased a (NEW) 2005 New Formula Red Insight last Friday from Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin, Tn. the Honda dealer that is next door to the dealer that I work for. It is a New Formula Red, A/C, 5-Speed Insight that I had the dealer order for me to see if I wanted to purchase a new "2006" Insight or not. I have not seen a posting from mbarrett since he picked up his new Insight but I hope he will post here and let us all know how he likes his new Insight since taking delivery.

Regards;
Terry

BTW; I really feel bad because I did not think to tell mbarrett to contact me when he came to Franklin, TN. to pick up his Insight that I would have at least bought his lunch for him and got to meet him in person. My "apology."

·
Registered
10 Posts
New 2005's

There is a dealer In Portland, OR that has several in stock. It is Honda of St. John's and their number is (503) 286-8811. Ask for Dan. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I Bought the 05 in TN

I want to thank Terry for letting me know about this one. I haven't found a MT anywhere else in the SE US. The only other one I found was in Washington state, but I was hesitant to drive back that far.

My wife and I flew to Nashville Saturday and the dealer sent someone to drive us to the dealership. We purchased the Insight, and drove home that afternoon. We stopped only to eat. It was a pretty nice ride; good weather and moderate trafic. Was fun experimenting with the mpg and battery use. We averaged 54 mpg for the trip home to Cumming GA, but the battery didn't charge much above 1/4.

The noise level was fine on interstate and rural roads except one road that was really noisy. Got pretty quiet again after the road changed though. I'm good with the sound system, except I wish it would play MP3s. The A/C manages to keep up most of the time in Economy mode, but on a hot summer Georgia day, I'll occassionally need to switch it to automatic for better cooling. I did notice quite a drop on the mpg when the compressor kicks on.

Prior to our trip, I read some place that I should get up to speed as soon as you can, then cruise for the best mpg. That is how I drove home. At home, I read in the owner's manual to not do that until 600 miles. Too late now. Hope I didn't shorten the engine life. I wish the dealer had told me that before I left.

I drove it 51 miles to work for the first time today. Was raining very hard and trafic was pretty good. Averaged 64mpg and the battery fully charged itself by the time I arrived at work. I think I learned a lesson - just take it easy and the battery won't drain and I'll get good mpg.

Anyway, I have a lot to learn about driving technique. Learned a lot already by reading this forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
New Insight Owner

:) mbarrett; I'm glad to see that you took the time to post your new purchase and your return trip to Atlanta. Ga. I just did not think to tell you about getting in touch with me if you were going to come up and pick up the Insight or I would have taken the time to have assisted you and your wife in picking up the car and introducing you to the Mgrs. at Darrell Waltrip Honda. My "Apology" to you and your wife.

Stay in touch and let me/us know as time goes on how the Insight is doing.

Regards;
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts