Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my 2003 MT Insight from Philly to Rochester NY yesterday because of a family emergency. About 120 miles out of Rochester, the IMA light came on. Sigh!! My hybrid battery is relatively new, it was installed in 2016. I have 2 bars on the battery charge indicator, but no charge or assist lights coming on, and the car seems to be driving on the gas engine only. I will need someone to take a look at it before I drive back. The last time I had a hybrid battery issue, I remember that I could drive it for awhile, but then the 12V battery died. There is a Honda dealership not far from where I am staying, but I would rather bring it to someone who actually understands 1st gen Insights, and in my experience that would not be your typical Honda dealership. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,507 Posts
Just reset the IMA and see what happens. Pull fuse #16 in the fuse box under the hood. It's the pink 30A fuse that is a little taller than the rest. Count to 10 and replace it. The SOC will show no bars, but it will charge back up after you drive it around some. Go easy on Assist and the IMA light should stay off. This will get you home. Reset again if you need to.

Grid charge after you get home and get some additional life out of this battery

Stay away from Honda. All they know to do is sell you a new battery.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just reset the IMA and see what happens. Pull fuse #16 in the fuse box under the hood. It's the pink 30A fuse that is a little taller than the rest. Count to 10 and replace it. The SOC will show no bars, but it will charge back up after you drive it around some. Go easy on Assist and the IMA light should stay off. This will get you home. Reset again if you need to.

Grid charge after you get home and get some additional life out of this battery

Stay away from Honda. All they know to do is sell you a new battery.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
9,406 Posts
You are OK with the 12V, after the reset, unless the "battery" light comes on. Frequently the dc-dc converter will keep charging the 12V, even after the IMA light comes on. But, as you say, when the dc-dc also quits (draws power from IMA battery), then, the 12V will discharge and leave you stranded. If you can't keep the battery light off, then you will need to do an IMA bypass for your trip home. My guess is the battery light will stay off after the reset.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I pulled the pink 30A fuse (#3), but on my fuse box diagram, that one was labeled ABS. It didn't reset the light. To the right of this fuse, there was a 15A fuse that was marked as IMA on the diagram. I actually couldn't get that one out, it is in a tight spot. Before I reach for pliers to take that one out, wanted to make sure I'm not missing something? Does the car need to be running when I pull the fuse?

·
Super Moderator
5,507 Posts
No. You pulled the wrong fuse. Pull fuse #16 in the fuse box under the hood. It's the pink 30A fuse that is a little taller than the rest. The car should not be running.

Sam

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes! thank you!! I see now that is a little taller than the rest. The label on the fuse box cover was confusing. When I pulled the correct fuse, the IMA light did go out and I am getting charge bars. Much obliged.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's been my experience that if the IMA is marginal resetting the IMA is a fairly common event. The strange thing is that sometimes it takes quite a while for the light to come back on and sometimes right away. Keep us posted as to how you make out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's been my experience that if the IMA is marginal resetting the IMA is a fairly common event. The strange thing is that sometimes it takes quite a while for the light to come back on and sometimes right away. Keep us posted as to how you make out.
SSSSSS, you are in Beacon, right? I should take a ride down from Kingston this summer and compare notes. 2001MT 423K, 2000MT, 245K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.