Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering (probably not alone, either) if anyone's building quality homemade battery banks for our Insights? A lot of us are coming up on replacement time, and to spend thousands for a bunch of re-chargable "D" Cell batteries is pretty silly. - Who'll tackle this opportunity?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Get panasonis to sell us the individual screw terminal cells and rebuilding one would be no problem. The issue for an alternate replacment pack is finding a 6.5ah D cell that will handle the current and have a connector that can handle that current. The normal solder terminal batteries you can get would melt under the current the Insight demands.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
I've been seriously considering the task when the time arrives past my 8/80k warranty. But the task in not trivial. You'd be working with a "live" 140v source. And the issues on transferring the thermosensors strips are yet to be tackeled.

The final decision will be based on cost for me. As of this spring the cost was $2,900.00 + installation. However there was a recent post here that seemed to indicate that Honda has dramatically dropped the cost to the $1,400.00 range. And the last time I checked "bare" batteries were in the $800.00 neighborhood. Yes it's still cheaper to go the bare battery route, but with no warranty and the much lower (?) cost I'd probably stick with the Honda pack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For that price, you could make a pack out of high amp tested lithium batteries, lose a hundred pounds, and have a much larger battery pack.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Seth Dallob said:
For that price, you could make a pack out of high amp tested lithium batteries, lose a hundred pounds, and have a much larger battery pack.
Yes, but your battery managment algorythm's would be off and it would result in short battery life more than likely.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Seth Dallob said:
I don't think that the current battery pack weighs even a hundred pounds as it is - I doubt that there is a hundred pounds to be saved in the battery pack with any kind of battery. There's also the danger inherent in using a battery made from something that will burst into flames upon contact with oxygen. (high risk of fire in the case of a collision or even just a BCM failure.)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yeah I think your right. The NiMH pack weight something like 45lbs doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Resist said:
I'm curious where you got this? I'm in CA and I wasn't told this when I bought my 2001 CVT.
I've seen it floating around in here in various posts. Check your warranty book as supplied with the car. The IMA system is considered part of the emissions system AFAIK. And AFAIK all dealers are required by Law to make available all warranty documents upon request. If you don't have a copy for your state maybe ask there.

A quick google turned up this link:

http://www.hondabeat.com/article_details.php?ID=77

EDIT: And after more carefully reading the link only PZEV rated vehicles fall under this extended warranty. Namely the 03 Civic Hybrid automatic.

The authoritative link:

http://world.honda.com/news/2003/4030612.html

A couple of other google links seem to indicate a 15/150k IMA warranty, yeah keep dreaming...<g>

Guess its up to you Resist. Can you supply the correct info from a CA warranty booklet for the Insight?

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Our batteries only weigh 22 Kilograms that's 46 lbs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts