Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get one of Englands produced IMA Boost modified for a 2001 CVT, however they are very busy with another project and may take them a couple of months before they can prepare this CVT IMA Boost device.

Does any have an idea how to prevent the IMA fault without causing major modification or changes to the car?, (besides spending 1,700 on a new battery) I know some folks have tried an Arduino board and modified harness not sure if that would work fine with a CVT 01. I am open to any ideas or opinions people may have to contribute. THANKS

ADC

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Technically, 1449 could be one of 4 different codes, but it's usually 1449-78, which I'll assume it is. It means your pack is really unbalanced. The car monitors pairs of battery sticks, there's 10 pairs, each stick has 6 D-sized cells. When one or more cells in one of these pairs is near empty, while others are near full, the car can't (or at least doesn't) charge much. If it can't charge at least 10% of total capacity it gives you the 1449-78 code. So, basically, what's happening is that one of these monitored pairs ('voltage taps') is found empty, the car tries to charge, but then another voltage tap reaches full before 10% charge can be input...

How do you avoid that problem? Typically, people around here buy 'grid chargers' - an external charger that can charge the whole pack at a low current. When near-full cells reach full, they overcharge and dissipate current as heat. During that time the under-charged cells charge normally... Or they should. You can buy an off-the-shelf LED constant current power supply that outputs at least 184V and a constant current around 350mA, maybe $30, that will get the job done. Or you can search around and see other options, such as grid chargers already put together, with some bells and whistles...

Another alternative - and what I'd do - is drain each pair of sticks via the voltage tap connector on the back of the battery computer, in IMA compartment. It looks like the thingy in my avatar (it is the thingy in my avatar).

You can short 5 taps at a time and achieve a discharge of about 14% per 24 hour period, i.e. it will take several days to do this. Ideally you'd measure voltages at the taps, preferably when the pack is really low and the car is in auto-stop, putting a small load on the IMA pack, so you can try to figure out which pair of sticks is the low pair. You'd discharge that for less time, while doing the others longer...

Or, you can just wing-it. Try shorting 5 taps for a 24 hour period, and then the other 5 taps for 24 hours. In that period you should be able to achieve some balance, probably not the full 14%, but pretty close. Then just drive the car like you normally do. Does it work better? Does it charge longer? Repeat as necessary. Every 24 hour period of discharging (or really 48 hours since it'd take two sessions of 5 taps at a time) should bring you closer to balance and allow the car to charge the pack more, avoiding the 1449-78 code. All you need is some paper clips to make shorting pins.

Here's a link to a thread where one guy went through this process (though he did it all in one shot), and as I recall I sort of walked him through it, there's probably some links to other stuff about it there, too:

Oh, also, you should probably verify that you do indeed have the P1449-78 code - search for info on how to read the 'blink' codes. I'm also assuming you have an OEM pack, not an aftermarket...

... I just skimmed a bit of that thread. What I'm describing there is slightly different than what I'm describing here. Over there I'm talking about "ultra-deep discharge" at tap level; here I'm just saying do some discharge. The objective here isn't to go deep, rather, it's simply to impart some balance to your stick pairs. The methods/procedures are generally the same, though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I forgot to mention, the CVT I just bought it from someone else on July, since I have a 02 Insight I am familiar with Grid charging, just have not done it here on the 01. I have one the Hybrid Automorive Grid Charger and one LED light charger too. I used to reach 165 and disconnect, someone has advised me to leave it charging for 36 hours, not sure if this would be safe.

In my original email I was trying to see if there is a device to by pass or modify the IMA signals to reduce the IMA faults to a minimum.

Now what really intrigue me, you mention there are different types of 1449.

My 02 MT insight sometimes shows the IMA fault and also shows the Brake and Charging red lights, while the 01 CVT only throws the IMA fault even with light IMA demand, however this morning it did not throw a signal (cold morning drive for 20 miles)

Now regarding the 1449 codes, I do have the Ultragauge only and is the one that rad the 1449, if you have a chance and the info available, when possible, can you share the info hwo to read the complete 1449 codes?

Thanks again for all the ongoing support

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,623 Posts

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
...Now regarding the 1449 codes, I do have the Ultragauge only and is the one that rad the 1449, if you have a chance and the info available, when possible, can you share the info hwo to read the complete 1449 codes? Thanks again for all the ongoing support
Unfortunately, no one is paying us to troubleshoot or research your problems, so you'll have to do a little leg work on your own... Search for "reading blink codes."

Here's a link on 'How to read the blink codes': Reading the blink codes - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.