Honda Insight Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas prices hit record highs of $2.30 in Indy last night. I assume it's probably the same around the rest of the country (and I believe $2.30 is still very cheap for places like Cali). Although any raise in price is still $$$ out of our pockets, now is a GREAT time to be an Insight owner. Of course, the subject line is a rhetorical question. I really had to restrain myself from honking as I drove by my neighborhood gas station this morning during rush hour. :D

Rob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Out here in So Cal. in Temecula, CA we're at around $2.45 to $2.57 per gallon, This is for regular. The good stuff is going for $2.65 to $2.77 a gallon. I love my Insight!

I was driving an Infiniti G35 before, I loved that car also, but hated the gas bill. I would be spending around $500.00 a month right now for the G35. The Insight is costing me around $120 a month. That is a $380.00 per month raise in pay. VERY COOL!!!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well we're not quite that high here yet, but we've gotten in to the $2.10 range and if predictions are right we're going to see new record highs again here soon enough. I think we might see appreciation on the value of our cars again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciation in value is good in theory--but since I never intend on parting with my Insight, it's all the same to me! :wink:

Rob

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wondering if it's this week or the next when I pump my last sub $2-a-gallon gas in Dallas...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just put gas in my car for the first time when prices were over $2.00/gallon. If I went yesterday it was a mere $1.99/gallon :p

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hey, commuter...

Geez, you must drive a boatload of miles (2,000? 3,000? 4,000?) a month... I love to drive long distances, but not for work... :shock: at least you now have the car for power commuting! :lol:

Say hi to the folks at the Callaway vineyards for me... great wines, environmentally-friendly types since before it was hip, and a must-stop for me when I'm in the area... :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
In May I'm flying to N. California and expecting the prices to be around $2.75. Is it?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm in a tizzle over the price increases......NOT. I fill my tank up once every 2 months now, so it could go up to $4 a gallon and it wouldn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
[moderator snip]
GM has problems because it can't sell enough SUVs to make money these days. Hey, maybe they are pushing the wrong cars on people? What a concept!

The more gas prices go up the better, if that is what it takes to make people stop wasting it.

[moderator snip] maybe if cars got better mileage or people drove less that this so called 'crisis' would evaporate? Oh, then they couldn't make all that money selling SUVs and gas. Silly me.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Hence "apparently"...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It is putting me in a bit of a dilemma, though. In about 10 days I leave for 3 months in Europe. I have about 500 miles on the current tank, and the 1/4 remaining is just about enough for the driving I'll do between now and then. So the question is, should I fill up now, expecting prices to be even higher in July, or try to eke out the tank, hoping prices will come down :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Aren't you supposed to fill up your tank before leaving a car sit for an extended period of time?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Gas doesn't store well. Perhaps you could use gas stbiliser aditive as one does with seasonal equipment. You would have to check what is in it.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___This isn’t about just Insight’s and our high FE but oil itself! You had better begin panicking because this isn’t going to just touch you and your neighbor in the wallet at the pump.

___Our nation as a whole is in trouble because of oil imports for more reasons then just the cost and if anyone thinks they can skirt the issue by having an Insight in the drive, they may as well be driving an H2. Think mortgage payments, food purchases, overseas and internal cost of goods, balance of trade, deficit spending in terms of general obligations and our balance of trade. Not to be a pessimist but there is nothing on the horizon (Fuel Cell’s, H2 production and use, Bio or synthetic fuels, PV’s, nuclear, etc. …) I see to actually help us leave behind our addiction.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2d2v769e][email protected][/email:2d2v769e]

·
Registered
804 Posts
I agree with xcel - the rising cost of oil will hurt even Insight drivers. GM is planning to layoff 28% of their white-collar staff, partially as a result of not making enough fuel-efficient vehicles. In contrast, Toyota is planning to sell 300,000 hybrids in 2006.

I'm totally confident the know-how is there to use fossil fuels more wisely until alternatives become practicle. My concern is the public is going to wait until the economy receives a body blow on oil prices.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.