Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there were other people in Houston Texas, who drive a Honda insight and love it.

Would anyone like to meet up or something, maybe have a hypermilling challenge or run, something fun. Are there any hybrid clubs in Houston ?

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
c'mon I know there are a bunch of people in Houston who have insights. I've seen 3 (different) silver insights at the University of Houston. I've seen a red one, and a green one at the Gilman Honda dealership. I've seen another green one in the sugarland area, maybe its the same one.

But i guess none of them post here. :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just wondering if there were other people in Houston Texas, who drive a Honda insight and love it.

Would anyone like to meet up or something, maybe have a hypermilling challenge or run, something fun. Are there any hybrid clubs in Houston ?
Just bought a 2000 Silver Insight from a dealer 50 k miles- so far so good.

Interested in tires, battery pack, maintenand, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bought a 2000 Silver Insight from a dealer 50 k miles- so far so good.

Interested in tires, battery pack, maintenand, etc.
Tires you can get brand new from the Bridgestone/Firestone shops around houston for around $75 each, they usually have them in stock, or get from another shop within days.

Battery packs are expensive if bought new, there is one person who rebuilds them, but its for around $1000. But you shouldnt be needing it since your car only has 50k miles. Unless its the 12v battery, then those you can get from anywhere for around $60-80.

Maintenance, you can do the regular oil changes your self, every 7500 miles. I use mobile 1 synthetic 0w-20 oil, which is $6 per quart at walmat, the filter is about $8 from the dealer. and the car only take like 2.6 quarts of oil. Be care about the oil pan bolt weather doing it yourself or getting it done somewhere.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to help about a fellow insight owner in houston.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might be a common problem, because just a week ago, I had the same problem. You would have to push really hard to get it to latch down. I think its a combination of two things, dust & grime in the latching mechanism, and the flexibility of the front brace that the latching mechanism bolts onto.

So I just took the latching mechanism off (3 bolts), and cleaned it up really good and put some oil to help smoothness. I Put it back on and it works like new again.

Most likely yours may have dirt in it also. Let me know if you need help cleaning it out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yeah, I'm a Houston Insight owner. Haven't been able to post for a while. Just saw a blue Gen 1 the other day in the Montrose area with a young lady driving it. Would like to get a Houston group going, there's just not that many of us around. I live in The Woodlands.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see a Red and a Citrus one Parked everyday near the service department at Honda dealership in SW houston.

From my unscientific guess based on how many i have seen, and how many I see for sale now and then in houston, I would assume there are about 50 insights in houston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two things:

(1) I tried removing and cleaning the hood latch to no avail - still a problem. Maybe a cable issue.

(2) Weslich - I also live in The Woodlands. Check my name in the Interfaith Directory - would enjoy seeing another model.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Two things:

(1) I tried removing and cleaning the hood latch to no avail - still a problem. Maybe a cable issue.

(2) Weslich - I also live in The Woodlands. Check my name in the Interfaith Directory - would enjoy seeing another model.
This is common for the insight hoods. Just press the hood down at the center where the Honda emblem is. It should work fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just bought a 2010 Insight on Friday and have to say when my wife first talked about them a month or so ago I laughed in her face but all in all these cars are not so bad.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
believe it or not, I think i've actually seen more first gen insights on the road than the Insight II...But I am sure that will change as more and more Insight II's get sold.

But anyway, if you live in the southwest, you will see my silver insight I every day going up and down 59.

There is actually a Hybrid and Hypermilers club in houston, they have thier meetings usually in the NW area. The next meeting is sept 19th I think. Here is thier web page.. You can also search them on facebook

http://106mpg.com/106/index2.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts