Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here. Been reading this board for a few days now tho, tryin to get more information on this beautiful car.

Currently i am in the market for a new vehicle, and i have wanted this ride since.... well i first saw it when it came out. My current vehicle for some reason has decided to start stalling randomly when it comes to a complete stop (plus its 10 years old) so its time for me to move on.

Basically i was just wondering if anyone has come across an Insight in the Pittsburgh, PA. area or close to it that is available to test drive.

Tho i pretty much have my mind set on this car, i should prolly test it out first.

Also does anyone know of any good sites that might have information on available insights? i checked the usual autotrader.com and what not.. but maybe i am missing something.

Anyways thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum :!:

As you are probably aware finding an Insight can be a difficult task. There are a couple of dealers that have chosen to "specialize" in the Insight and have a stock of used available. One is in California and the other in Wisconsin. AFAIK others will be hit and miss. There is usually one or two to choose from on eBay. And the occasional report of various individual sales and local used car lots.

In addition to the usual checkout of previous accident damage, tires, brakes, etc. is the "unknown" of IMA battery condition. A high LMPG (lifetime MPG) indication on the gauge will be the best (but not foolproof) indicator of future IMA battery life. Also if the tires have been replaced with a non LRR (low Rolling Resistance) brand then expect a 5-7 MPG reduction with a smoother ride.

I doubt you'll be unhappy with overall power and performance, but if you want the ultimate MPG that the Insight is capable of you'll have to slow down and learn a different driving style. Drive it like a "normal" car and expect MPG values varying anywhere from the upper 30's to low 50's (as reported be several different members in here). See the MPG forum for many posts on the specifics.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info trekker. Is the name of that place in wisconsin called honda motorworks? do you know if they are trustworthy :p (first time actually buying a car hehehe) they seem to actually have some on the lot wich is nice.

thanks again for the info.. i am hoping to be in the sight crowd within a few months if not sooner :)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Motorwerks is the place. Don't know him personally but at least one poster in here has bought one from him without a "problem". But I'd want _any_ car I bought checked out by my local trustworthy mechanic _before_ final purchase. While you will probably know more about the IMA system than he, the rest of the car may have some expensive needed or neglected problems.

Wish I could do more to be of help but PA is a bit far.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
...Drive it like a "normal" car and expect MPG values varying anywhere from the upper 30's to low 50's (as reported be several different members in here)....
I think low 50's on a trip of at least ten miles while keeping up with traffic, yet using the tips on this forum is realistic. When I hear worse than 48 mpg on a 5-speed Insight, it could be:

- very frequent stop-and-go
- very agressive driving
- very short trips
- very cold weather (and probably short trips)
- engine problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may well be the closest one to you. I am from Berlin Center, Ohio. About 20 miles east of Youngstown. I have a 2004 and love it!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you get to drive one in the near future and decide that an Insight is for sure the car for you, there is about 10 Insights (both 04 & 05) at Gilliam Honda a dealer in Houston, TX. I know that would be a long way to go for one for you but you could really try it out on the way back to Penn. If you do get one from there or any dealer a good ways from you make sure you vary your speed on the way home to ensure the engine breaks in correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Locating Insights for sale

I was having problems finding a Insight to test drive and contacted Honda Customer service .Their recomendation was to check AutoTrader.com

Go to AutoTrader.com and you can search for Honda Insights by distance from zip code 100 miles 300 miles ect.

I purchased a 2002 Insight yesterday from a Honda dealer in Arlington VA.

If you go to a dealer you should take a copy of the advertized price from Auto traded to show them when they give you a higher price at the store as they tried to do to me when I went to test drive the car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes "rsalmon" it's Gillman Honda of Houston. Anyone seriously interested should probally call them first. Acording to their website they have 9 Insights both 04's and 05's both 5 speeds and CVT's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Insight for sale in PA

Their is a listing in AutoTrader.com for a 2002 Honda Insight with only 2087 miles on it ! Martin Main Line Honda,in Ardmore, PA , VIN#.JHM2E14732T000080. I have never delt with them so I do not know enything abought this place.

After it was too late for me to purchase the car (I had just purchased another one.) I found out from the dealer that the car was a "Honda Show Car " thus the low milage.

The price listed in the ad was incorrect.(it was the original MSRP) I was told that I could have purchased it for under $15,000.

It sound like a "deal of a lifetime", but remember you are dealing with a "USED CAR SALESMAN"

I just did a carfax report on this car,It was tittled in CA(in 2005),and sold at aucton in "Desert Southwest Region",listed as manufacturer vehicle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello fellow Pittsburgher,
I couldn't find one in the area, I had to go to DC where my sister lives to buy mine. There was a dealer in OH that had a new one, but it was a 4 hour ride west so I didn't want to go that far. I would suggest keep looking in the auto trader, and I know Honda will do a search by zip code, http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/ ... ected=True there aren’t any within 250 miles of Pittsburgh though. (2 in the DC area) If you have family anywhere out side of PA, check near them. then maybe have them check it out, and then make a trip to check it out for yourself.
I drive into Oakland every day from about an hour south of Pittsburgh, and as far as mileage goes, you can get in the upper 50's if you drive very conscious of the meter, but more realistically you can get between 51 and 54 easily. If you are in a hurry, as I usually am late, i get like 48-52 then. I have no factory tires right now because no where around had them, and i needed them sooner than the 2 weeks it took my dealer to get them, and I now get between 45 and 48 as an average. (Its killing me, I’m getting factory tires put back on Monday).
There are at least 2 other owners in the area, one is a teacher at Cal U, and the other is always at a church in the West Newton Area, I always honk and they look at me stupefied. I have never spoken with either of them, so I don't know how they got theirs.
Keep us appraised of you situation, and look for the blue insight with the NOPLUG license plate.

Nick

·
Registered
44 Posts
2 in the philly area if you want to go that far search zip 19019...

2000 Insight Manual Transmission
Price: $11,995.00
Mileage: 30,969
Transmission: Manual Transmission
Exterior Color: Silverstone Metallic
Interior Color: Black
VIN: JHMZE135XYT002899
Dealer Stock #: H53255A
Dealer - Installed Accessories: No information available

and 2002 Insight Continuously Variable Transmission with Air Conditioning
Price: $19,995.00
Mileage: 2,087
Transmission: Continuously Variable Transmission
Exterior Color: Silverstone Metallic
VIN: JHMZE14732T000080
Dealer Stock #: P769

1 near cleveland 44101 (actually upon second look 105 miles from cleveland, in toledo)...

2001 Insight Continuously Variable Transmission
Price: $13,855.00
Mileage: 23,452
Transmission: Continuously Variable Transmission
Exterior Color: Monte Carlo Blue Pearl
VIN: JHMZE14721T002546
Dealer Stock #: P9841

1 - 13 of 13 Posts